Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "if I'm a midlevel recruit, I'm thinking twice about playing for Cal. "

if you're a midlevel recruit, cal is not interested in you. remember his words at his UK presser, "if you can't play, i can't hide you."

if a kid has his scholarship revoked for reasons other than academics or conduct, can he transfer without the year "penalty?"
    lmao!!! That was genius. However, Cal has had his share of role players. Robert Dozier anyone?

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I will be pulling up a chair to watch the great chemistry experiment that is KY basketball next year. It seems that CAL has made some promises and deals to a bunch of mercurial 18-21 year olds. That sounds like the type of chemistry experiment that ends up with the sprinkler system going off!

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    Make no mistake, at the very least, this will be used in negative recruiting against UK. Maybe it won't stop the John Wall's from going, but if I'm a midlevel recruit, I'm thinking twice about playing for Cal.

I wonder why we haven't heard of this at all from the mainstream media, other than an article or two, here or there. Maybe people just don't care that much about UK, maybe people just assume Cal is dirty, maybe people don't find this nearly as reprehensible as I do, but I have to assume that if Coach K pulled this, it'd be a media firestorm. Same for Roy Williams too.
    I think we have not heard more about it because the other shoe has not fallen yet. We do not yet know which kids will have their scholarships revoked so it is kinda hard to really drive the story home. All it will take is one kid crying while saying--

"Kentucky was my dream school. I had dreamed of playing for them my whole life. Even though I only played a few minutes a game, I loved every minute on campus and I think I helped the team the past couple years... And now Coach Cal has turned my dream into a nightmare."

--and that will ignite the media firestorm.

Of course, Cal may find kids who are willing to drop off the team with no hard feelings, though that may be tough even for a master salesman like him.

--Jason "please, please, please let this reprehensible behavior blow up in his face!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Bledsoe qualifies academically

Bledsoe has qualified academically for Kentucky:

http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-s...ic_bledso.html

Kentucky basketball signee Eric Bledsoe has made the grades he needs in his final high school courses to be eligible to play as a college freshman next season, Parker High School coach Maurice Ford said this morning. [...] Bledsoe [...] scored a 17 on his ACT test earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Of course, Cal may find kids who are willing to drop off the team with no hard feelings, though that may be tough even for a master salesman like him.

--Jason "please, please, please let this reprehensible behavior blow up in his face!" Evans

Not to be too cynical, but maybe some kids who decide to "move on" as a result of the scholarship crunch will find an Emery Air Freight envelope or two come to their door.

I have lived in Memphis for fourteen years and watched Calipari's entire reign in Memphis.

To say he is ethically challenged is like saying that Charles Manson may have hurt a few people.

I have friends with inside info on Cal's dealings with Elliot before Elliot committed to Duke. Cal was a complete slimeball on that one also.

I have no particular inside info, but it would not surprise me in the least to see the NCAA announce something about Univ of Memphis in the not to distant future.

If Bledsoe and Wall's recruitment was squeaky clean, then kudos to Cal for this accomplishment. What are the chances these recruitments were clean? haha i can't stop laughing at the thought.

Agree that Cal doesn't get "midlevel" recruits, but I guess what I mean is, the non Derick Roses of the team. The guy's who aren't going to be lottery picks after their first year. I don't care how good you are at recruiting, you're not going to have 12 guys like that.

Not to say that I have a problem with recruiting over players. It's done at Duke and all schools, but I just think that I'd be a little more worried if I'm a star, rather than a superstar, going to UK than to a school like Duke. Worst case at a school like Duke, you don't get all the PT you want. Worst case at a school with Cal, is now shown to be getting booted from the program.

Did Cal do this at Memphis? Not that I know of. Is it more understandable that he's doing this while taking a new job at a new school? Debatably, though I don't think so. Nonetheless, when schools are recruiting certain players, they will make sure recruits no what Cal is doing, and that they will not do the same thing. Whether recruits see it from Cal's perspective or the apparent perspective of this board is hard to tell. Cal is certainly a tremendous salesmen. But I can tell you that if I'm a recruit and I see what Cal is about to do to these kids, I can't help but be a little worried, or at the very least, bothered by what Cal has done.

Nonetheless, I doubt the impact, whatever it may be, lasts long. I'd sure love for Jason Evans' prediction to come true though. I can promise you that showing that to recruits would not help Cal out too much, at least for a couple of years.

Maybe we should be serving some cheese to go with all the whine that is taking place here.

Get real folks, we lost out on two exceptional PG's that would have made us a better team, but these things do happen.

Let's stop with all the mudslinging that is going on here. It's below Duke University and this site.

I'm sure if there is anything to be found some eager beaver writer would have dug it up by now.

Let's be gracious losers and embrace the kids we do have. We'll have a solid team and who knows some of the kids may exceed our expectations and the season could turn into something magical.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Maybe we should be serving some cheese to go with all the whine that is taking place here.

Get real folks, we lost out on two exceptional PG's that would have made us a better team, but these things do happen.

Let's stop with all the mudslinging that is going on here. It's below Duke University and this site.

I'm sure if there is anything to be found some eager beaver writer would have dug it up by now.

Let's be gracious losers and embrace the kids we do have. We'll have a solid team and who knows some of the kids may exceed our expectations and the season could turn into something magical.
    Well, you make a point.

However, I do think it's reasonable to question the over-recruitment in terms of scholarship numbers that Kentucky now has, and how it is they'll cut their roster to the legal amount (really, how else would you put it?)

It has to do with the ethics and rules of the sport we follow and care about.

"That sounds like the type of chemistry experiment that ends up with the sprinkler system going off!"

ok, this one made me grin.

a high horse can provide a poor view of dangerous ground

Trying to appear so far above it all that we can't see real issues involved where BB players are going to get hurt in the long run doesn't seem helpful at all. In an effort to appear better than everyone else fans can become part of the problem by looking away. Were it not for other people "whining," often times those who are helpless get run over by the system. Kicking scholarship players off a team this late in the cycle seems an injustice and ignoring it would be condoning it, in my view...notwithstanding where this particular player went. The recruiting practice apparent here is disgusting and does a disservice to those kids who are the most important in my mind...those who will actually stay in school long enough to get an education. what is the cost to their potential to graduate in 4 years? What is the cost to their potential to graduate at all. Should fans sit quiet and let this kind of stuff happen so as not to appear to be "whining" about losing a recruit? I neither supported nor detracted from the coaches' recruiting of Wall...frankly, the coaches have vastly more knowledge than I. On the other hand, they do not have more knowledge of what right and wrong look like than the average fan. This over recruiting is certainly fair game to comment on, and given the factual basis is not mudslinging, but rather pointing out the mud.

Frankly those of us who have contacts should be talking to the NCAA and political representatives about this practice, especially in government funded schools.

It really is somewhat of a confusing travesty that both Bledsoe and Wall went UK... if all was fair in the world, one would have ended up at both UK and Duke, and everybody would have been happy and better off. But hey, at least the ol' Duke-UK rivalry is officially back in business!

Sure has been a rough 24 hours for the faithful, considering G officially signed with Tellum last night. Makes you wonder if he actually was considering coming back if we signed Wall... sighhhh... I love the guys we have for next year, but boy, what a team that would have been...

I don't see what's so wrong about calling out Cal here.

I don't endorse accusing Cal of cheating. There is apparently no evidence of that and however slimy the guy appears, without evidence it's unjustified.

But what is wrong with effectively sticking up for some guys who are basically about to get screwed? Is that really, beneath us as fans? Are we as fans making a bigger deal out of this than we should be? Maybe. Would we find ways to excuse it if it went down at Duke? Some of us surely would. But nonetheless, I can't help but be disgusted with what seems imminent to go down at UK and I don't think that it makes Duke fans look immature to call Cal out in this situation. I definitely think some other things we've called out, like the Roy Williams situation with the suits, pale in comparison to this situation, regardless of what the rule books or NCAA guidelines say.

As for Wall, I hold no ill-will at all to the guy. He gave Duke a legitimate chance despite the fact that Duke basically overlooked him (despite being in their backyard) until late in his senior year or at the very least, until after missing on Boynton. I certainly wish him well. He seems like a good guy and is a tremendous talent.

With regards to Jason's point on the NCAA, it's a sad world that this is considered less of a violation (in fact, zero violation) than some of the stuff other guys have been penalized for. (Wasn't it Majerus who got into trouble for getting burgers with someone?)

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Your post reminded me of the hall monitors from elementary school. Those guys could really suck the life out of a place.

Kentucky roster

So Porter has already been run off. All indications are that Josh Harellson and Donald Williams will "get cut" and A.J. Stewart will have to transfer. If Meeks decides to return, someone else "gets cut". Nothing like a little motivation to keep your (job???). Certainly this is business for Cal and guys like John Wall, but what about the student athlete that has made a commitment to the University. I'm sure Bledsoe will play next season, but if Meeks returns, his time will dramatically decrease (maybe Cal will keep his promise to start him, in the first game at least).

Agree that this is a horrible situation (and I wasn't a fan of a similar event that occurred at Harvard), but unfortunately I don't think it will hurt Cal in recruiting. If other schools/coaches try to use this against him he can always say "I didn't recruit over my own players, I had to rebuild a program and had to make room for my recruits. You, star player X, are my guy and I promise I would never pull your scholarship." I think he gets a pass because he's booting Gillespie's players, and as long as he can get minutes for Bledsoe and Wall together keeps his recruiting credibility. He already seems to have the reputation as a "players coach" with the clause in Xavier Henry's LOI that let him out of the commitment if Cal left Memphis. I think Cal will be a recruiting force unless he gets caught doing something illegal. Sucks, but afraid it's true.

What will be interesting to see is whether he can actually coach against more consistent competition. SEC isn't great, but it's better than anything he's seen before: A-10 in his UMass days was better than it is today but not a high major, and ConfUSA has been week since the Big East raid. Who do you root for when Florida plays UK? Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Who do you root for when Florida plays UK? Blech.
    This is easy...

--Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Talking Please do not envision!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is easy...

--Jason
    Jason, none of this doomsday stuff until Duke wins the lacrosse title in 6 days! Okay?
    Was the ground zero Gainesville or Lexington? Remember gators can swim,wildcats cannot(for long).
    Can you imagine the recruiting war between Billy D and Calmari ? I think it is gonna get real ugly. Maybe the mob gets called in to assign territorial rights.
    Best--Blue Prof

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    As a Kentucky fan, I have to say I am not exactly thrilled with all of this hype around the incoming recruits. Sure, it's a bumper crop but five severed fingers is not a hand. All this talk of national championship contention before these guys have even had a team meeting, much less played a game together, seems ludicrous and completely over the top. Big Blue Nation is setting itself up for a huge let down AGAIN because we cannot reasonably manage our expectations.

And even though the issue is being completely swept under the rug here in the bluegrass, the scholarship limit and how Cal handles that, I think, speaks volumes about his ethic, or lack thereof.

Strange as it may sound coming from a UofK fan, all these recruits and the wins they might bring are not worth the damage I foresee if Cal is given free rein to play fast and loose with the rules.

I want my Cats to win, be sure, but I want to be able to gloat on DBR about the wins and if they are tainted, that takes the wind right out of my sails.
    Just for clarification. Are you a Devil before you are a Wildcat?

Wesley Connection?

This is my first post here, but I''ve been a long time lurker. I read in the main John Wall thread, where someone was taking a shot at "Worldwide Wes". I remembered the name but I had no idea what this guy looked like. I did a little searching and found this

It is vintage Wesley, using one relationship to build another.

During the camp, Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski waved Wesley over for a conversation. Wesley is an ally of USA Basketball, and Krzyzewski coaches the men’s team. Wesley has deep access to the program, thanks to his relationships with many of the team’s star players, and even stayed on the Queen Mary II with the team at the 2004 Olympics. He expects to be in China for the Beijing Games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/05/sp...pagewanted=all

I just found it interesting and wondered if this relationship might bear watching for the future?