Exclamation Dbr board awards, 2009

Alright, I'm very new here. Some of you don't like me very much, understandably. You might have had them in the past-- but so far, this is the first board where I've never seen "Board awards". Basically, you get to show your fame, and get some nice pats on the backs (or kicks in the nuts) from the other fellas that you put up with day in and day out. If I have enough people follow this, maybe get a mod to 'sticky' this for me, we can get 'er running.

Basically, here are the rules:

I will soon post an awards list, get a general idea (*in your head, DON'T POST IT YET) of 3 people from the board whom you wish to nominate. The 3 DBR-members with the most nominations (after 3 full days) will then enter a 3-day voting period, where a winner will be announced. Winners can flex their internet muscles by sticking the award in their signature until next June, where we'll do it over again.

The Rules are as follows:
    1. You can't nominate yourself...duh.
    2. You may nominate up to 3 people in each category.
    3. Each voting and nomination thread lasts 3 days.
    4. There is no rule 4.
    5. Remember to keep it as drama free as possible. If you have a beef, PM me.

Now, the awards!

The Greg Paulus Award for Best Use of Smileys
    The "9F" Award for Best Non-Cowboys fan Poster
    The E-Mail Award for Best Rookie Poster (must have a join date of later than June 15, 2008)

The Coach K Award for Nicest Poster
    The Lance Thomas Award for Most Underrated Poster

The JJ Redick Award for the Most Emotional Poster
    The Krzyzewski Award for the Most Knowledgeable Poster
    The Sean Dockery Award for Funniest Poster

The Sheldon Williams Award for Dedication to the Team
    The DBR Signature Award for Best Signature
    The DBR Avatar Award for Best Avatar

The "Hoops" Trophy for Best Poster- ACC/NCAA Tournament

The Redick Trophy for Best Poster - Regular Season

The Naismith Trophy for the Best Poster - Overall (Combo of Season, Tourney's, Off-season, Off-topic, etc.)

If you think this is a good idea and we should give it a go, I'd like to see a good number of replies in the thread, just to say "yeah, I'm in". I'll leave this thread open until around saturday, doing my best to bump it up. If we're good to go, nominations will begin monday.

If there's any mod that would like to help me out and sticky this, it would be awesome.
    -iDunk15

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk15 View Post
    Alright, I'm very new here. Some of you don't like me very much, understandably. You might have had them in the past-- but so far, this is the first board where I've never seen "Board awards". Basically, you get to show your fame, and get some nice pats on the backs (or kicks in the nuts) from the other fellas that you put up with day in and day out. If I have enough people follow this, maybe get a mod to 'sticky' this for me, we can get 'er running.

Basically, here are the rules:

I will soon post an awards list, get a general idea (*in your head, DON'T POST IT YET) of 3 people from the board whom you wish to nominate. The 3 DBR-members with the most nominations (after 3 full days) will then enter a 3-day voting period, where a winner will be announced. Winners can flex their internet muscles by sticking the award in their signature until next June, where we'll do it over again.

The Rules are as follows:
    1. You can't nominate yourself...duh.
    2. You may nominate up to 3 people in each category.
    3. Each voting and nomination thread lasts 3 days.
    4. There is no rule 4.
    5. Remember to keep it as drama free as possible. If you have a beef, PM me.

Now, the awards!

The Greg Paulus Award for Best Use of Smileys
    The "9F" Award for Best Non-Cowboys fan Poster
    The E-Mail Award for Best Rookie Poster (must have a join date of later than June 15, 2008)

The Coach K Award for Nicest Poster
    The Lance Thomas Award for Most Underrated Poster

The JJ Redick Award for the Most Emotional Poster
    The Krzyzewski Award for the Most Knowledgeable Poster
    The Sean Dockery Award for Funniest Poster

The Sheldon Williams Award for Dedication to the Team
    The DBR Signature Award for Best Signature
    The DBR Avatar Award for Best Avatar

The "Hoops" Trophy for Best Poster- ACC/NCAA Tournament

The Redick Trophy for Best Poster - Regular Season

The Naismith Trophy for the Best Poster - Overall (Combo of Season, Tourney's, Off-season, Off-topic, etc.)

If you think this is a good idea and we should give it a go, I'd like to see a good number of replies in the thread, just to say "yeah, I'm in". I'll leave this thread open until around saturday, doing my best to bump it up. If we're good to go, nominations will begin monday.

If there's any mod that would like to help me out and sticky this, it would be awesome.
    -iDunk15
    I'm curious... have you discussed the awards program with the owners of this web site? It would seem that any awards should come from them rather than someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I'm curious... have you discussed the awards program with the owners of this web site? It would seem that any awards should come from them rather than someone else.
    You don't get an actual award.. it's just a nice pat on the back and little one-liner in your signature. And since nobody here has done them before, I thought I'd step up. If they'd rather do it, more power to them-- be my guest.

Seems a bit strange for a poster who has only contributed a very small amount to DBR (and a lot less to the basketball discussion...) to organize such a thing, especially given the nature of DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk15 View Post
    You don't get an actual award.. it's just a nice pat on the back and little one-liner in your signature. And since nobody here has done them before, I thought I'd step up. If they'd rather do it, more power to them-- be my guest.
    Even if they don't want to do it themselves, they also may not be keen on doing any awards whatsoever. All you have to do is email them and ask. There's a CONTACT US link at the bottom of every page.

I am closing this thread while the Mods discuss the idea.

As many have indicated, while it may be a fine idea on other websites, this is not the kind of thing the DBR has done very much in the past. We've had a tongue-in-cheek Post of the Week sorta joke but never anything formal. We've always been keen on "focus on the post, not the poster" when it comes to discussions and this would seem to run counter to that idea.

Anyway, as I said, I am closing this thread and the mods will discuss it.

-Jason

UPDATE: The mods have discussed this thread, and, without dissent, we think this is not something in keeping with the standards and traditions of these boards. Therefore, this thread will remain closed and any future threads of a similar nature will be similarly closed or deleted.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-18-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Updated after mod discussions
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?