Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2009 NHL Playoffs Thread

OK, now that we got all the snark and rehashing old North vs. South hockey cliches out of our collective systems, let's try a more civilized hockey playoffs discussion thread.

We are down to the NHL Final Four: the Carolina Whalers vs. Norm Crosby, Geno Malkovich (loved his work in Con Air) and the Pens in the East finals. First game tonight as the Pens prolong the life of their beloved (?) Igloo for one more series.

On the other side, the defending octopi-throwing champion Red Wings go up 1-0 on the Chicago Blackhawks.

Preview from the Worldwide Leader here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ohn&id=4170344

Here's my question: Which writer (print or online) comes the closest to being the Bill Simmons of hockey (for good or ill)? I'd be looking for someone who is funny, knows and loves the game, and can throw in a bit of ADHD off-topic wackiness whenever the mood strikes. Any nominations?

And then coincidentally enough, Simmons posts a column where he says in some ways the NHL is better than the NBA... Some great quotes and possibly contentious assertions in here; too many to list...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4178211

Watched the Pens / Canes last night and playoff hockey goes up another level just like the NBA. Both Fleury and Ward were astonishing, and guys are diving to block slapshots all over the place...

Well, Turk, my friend, if you enjoyed watching the Pens-Caines, I hope you saw a few minutes of the Hawks-Wings last night. This game was some bee-yoo-ti-ful hockey. I checked in on the NBA after and while I love hoops, the excitement of the hockey game is wire to wire. It's pretty exhausting.
    Granted, the baby Hawks are up against seasoned and battle-tested vets but, wow, it's a blast. And Zetterberg is pretty easy on the eyes
    RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Pens-Caines
    Caines?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Weezie, did not see any of the Hawks - Wings last night; sounds like I missed a good one... I have not seen the Hawks at all and in my limited viewing this season, I would have said the Wings were a mistake-free, dangerous, and efficient hockey team but hardly electrifying... (I'll have to defer to your judgement on Zetterberg, but I would imagine the playoff beard tradition might make the viewing a bit harder, no?)

Oz, the Pens are playing a team composed of old British actors and homicide detective TV characters... Surprisingly enough they've had a pretty good hockey season...

I'm calling Wings in 5 and Pens in 6.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Caines?
    Whoopsie! Too much adrenaline after watching game 2 of the west.

It's sometimes hard to settle down after the games.

So, good luck CANES! Remember, I want to eat bbq w/Ozzie in a couple of weeks.

Remember, I want to eat bbq w/Ozzie in a couple of weeks.
    Really? I didn't know about this! Please tell me more! I'm certainly open for this feast!

If you are referring to BD's trip to nc for her play, I won't be participating as I have another weekend-long obligation from Friday afternoon through Sunday.

9F 9F 9F

[Redacted quote and response to deleted message]

How 'bout them Jersey Devils? Even if the Canes go down tonight, and it is a distinct possibility, NJ's summer vacation has been quite a bit longer than the Hurricane's!
    Last edited by devil84; 05-27-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Redacted quote and response to iDunk's deleted message

9F 9F 9F

Oh please, Canes! Give the Penguins a firm spanking tonight. Don't let them sweep.
    New Jersey?! That's funny!

Nice go early...GO CANES!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Probably!

How 'bout them Jersey Devils? Even if the Canes go down tonight, and it is a distinct possibility, NJ's summer vacation has been quite a bit longer than the Hurricane's!
    You're absolutely right! And, for such a feat, you get a lower draft choice! Congratulations, an accomplishment well earned. That banner will look SO pretty next to your 2 other banners that hang in the rafters. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy gazing at my 3 Cups, 8 division titles, and 13 straight seasons in the playoffs.

"Whoo!"

Isn't there a five day major for pointless taunting?

Hey, we're mostly Duke fans here so taunt away. Gotta be pretty thick-skinned to hang with the Dukies, we're used to being poked.
    Along with, in my case, the much loathed Pistons, streaky Tigers, Stanley Cup toting Red Wings and derided Lions. NJ and environs ain't got nothing on the "D" as a sports town.

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk15 View Post
    You're absolutely right! And, for such a feat, you get a lower draft choice! Congratulations, an accomplishment well earned. That banner will look SO pretty next to your 2 other banners that hang in the rafters. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy gazing at my 3 Cups, 8 division titles, and 13 straight seasons in the playoffs.

"Whoo!"
    And you'll still live in New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    And you'll still live in New Jersey.
    Wilson, are you going to make him walk the plank? Arrrrr!

9F 9F 9F

Hey, we're mostly Duke fans here so taunt away. Gotta be pretty thick-skinned to hang with the Dukies, we're used to being poked.
    Along with, in my case, the much loathed Pistons, streaky Tigers, Stanley Cup toting Red Wings and derided Lions. NJ and environs ain't got nothing on the "D" as a sports town.
    Preach, weezie, preach!

And I'm sporting the red shirt today at work. Wore my Red Wings cap on the Metro again today like I do for every game in the playoffs. Tonight's going to be a beautiful night hopefully! GO WINGS!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Well, the Pens got out the brooms last night, so most of the local DBR readers who hopped on the Canes bandwagon will most likely head for the golf course and / or the summer hoops league circuit.

I wonder if the Canes were in "happy to be here" mode kind of like the Pens were last year? If it's a Pens - Wings rematch, it seems obvious it will be a much better series than last year...

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    And I'm sporting the red shirt today at work. Wore my Red Wings cap on the Metro again today like I do for every game in the playoffs.
    Get that shirt laundered and pressed dw! We are getting all prettied up for our date with Lord Stanley.

Who's in the finals?