Sopranos... *yawn*

Wow, I found the Sopranos this week to be fairly boring. Anyone else start to nod off during it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Wow, I found the Sopranos this week to be fairly boring. Anyone else start to nod off during it?
    A huge let-down after the brilliance of the first episode. With so few episodes left, how can they waste air-time with the stupid movie-business subplot? And who cares about Johnny Sac dying? Show him with the doctor getting the bad news and then show his son-in-law at the Bing and you're done. Much as I loved seeing Sydney Pollack, his scenes were pointless.

I think the family's downfall is going to come down between Tony and his nephew with Tony losing out and motion pictures are the new main business line.

totally disagree

Last night's episode was all about the bosses (or near bosses) reflecting on their lives. Phil isn't happy for a variety of reasons. Johnny Sack arguably had it all, but look how it ended. Tony is now seeing the red flags--the movie which tells him how Christopher views him; the news he hears about Phil & Johnny; the conversation at the golf course. The question is, what will he decide? Will he abandon the life & step down to try & be happy, or will he continue down a path that inevitably leads to self-destruction & a miserable death? That's what I got out of last night's episode--IMO this episode, far more than last week's, set the stage for the rest of the series.

Lord Ash is off base.

They are setting up for a great, great ending to the show. Tony v. Christopher; Tony v. Bacala and Janice; Tony v. Phil and his crew. The last 7 episodes are going to be excellent.

Hold your horses, Lord Ash.

Phil's revenge

I think they are setting up Phil to get revenge on Tony by killing Christopher. Phil may believe a fitting revenge on Tony is to make Tony feel pain like he felt when Phil's brother was killed. To Phil, Christopher may be close enough to a brother to Tony to even things out. If Tony were thinking about getting out of the business, that could be just the thing that makes him come back in the end in a bloody way.

I understand that this is all just set up, trust me; however, I didn't find myself really caring what the pay off will be.

I hope they will be good, the first few seasons were the finest tv I've ever seen.

My guess is that Tony will die at the end of the series from a heart attack.

I guess I like the symmetry of it surrounded by the two 'false endings' that already have recently happened: Tony getting shot, and Tony going to jail. 'Course he recovered from both rather quickly.

Then again, there's a possibility that nothing may happen at the end of the series; Chase has repeatedly said in interviews that the Sopranos isn't a morality play and there's no underlying message of "crime doesn't pay". And there may be a strong temptation to keep everyone alive for a Sopranos movie. If that's the case, then I will be very deeply disappointed in Chase.

One of the themes that I see being played out is the extent to which these guys are all killers, who kill not only for business reasons but also out of a primal rage that is key to "this thing" that they have. Phil and Tony see their thing threatened, perhaps the inevitability of its coming to an end. Phil first played with the idea of detaching himself, and then decided to go out shooting. He has played cards that insure his family's demise, not to mention his own.

Tony, for all that his primal rage is capable of bringing him to, is committed to seeing this thing out to the end as the boss of his family. He and Christopher are by far the two most complex characters in the series. Christopher with his artistic flair, Tony with his ability amidst mayhem to make nuanced judgments. Last night, when he declined to play in Phil's loose-lipped parade down memory lane, Tony's line was priceless. Worthy of a man of letters, that could have come from no one else on the show.

And, as much as the rage in him would like to kill Paulie for having gone to Johnnie Sac with the stuff about Ralphie, the rational part of him prevented it. Paulie did far less to the rat Ralphie than Tony did himself, and Tony needs Paulie for the battles to come. At the same time, he took a shot across Paulie's bow, with that trip on the boat and letting Paulie at every opportunity know that he needed to keep his mouth shut. If Tony kills Paulie, he is in the same boat as Phil, which is one that is imploding fast.

That scene on the boat with Tony eying the knife; there, the rage was displayed. Tony's instinct was to strike out, but it was tempered not only by his need to play the hand of boss out to the end, but also the recent memory of his fight with Bobbie.

Seems to me that this is moving along like life itself, showing the world of organized crime in all its facets. In the great chessgame of the world they live in, so far it seems to me that Phil has played the first "lose" move. I bet that that results in checkmate for him. Whether Tony will be left standing and in what posture I would not begin to venture to guess.
    Last edited by greybeard; 04-23-2007 at 03:34 PM.