Thoughts on the Feldenkrais Method

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    You do relaize that quite frequenlty when the topic of any medical procedure comes up you chime in to tell people that they are wrong and if only they would . . .

That probably accounts for my not seeig the humor. You see, one time this car ran over me and crushed 46 of my bones, - a team of surgeons workng 72 hours straight saved my life, but I still have a limp. Now if only I had gone to an oesteopath and to this Feldenkrais guy . . .
    I think thqt you are being unfair here. I do not think of Feldenkrais Method as a healing art, and have never propounded it as such. As for osteopathy, if you are not interested in it's potential benefits for ear-canal caused infections in young babies that is your business. Others might be. And, I do not propound that people forgoe discussing such issues with doctors who propound and even perform surgery, which would include in its universe many osteopathic physicians, who are everybite as educated in allopathic medicine as the Duke-trained dude you used.

Anyone who has been cut, and I have many times, would avoid surgery if they could, especially on an innocent child. I have personal experience with an osteopath and persistent ear infections which plagued my son, Steven, and the results were terrific. So, can the hostility. None was directed your way, and none was deserved to come mine.

As for the pediatrician, I am sure he or she really knows his or her stuff. I doubt that he or she spent any appreciable time, the appreciable is discretionary, even considering mush less ever exploring the efficacy of cranial sacral work by a talented osteopath to deal with ear canal issues in lieu of a talented surgeon. If I am wrong about that, by the way, I am all EARS.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Anyone who has been cut, and I have many times, would avoid surgery if they could, especially on an innocent child. I have personal experience with an osteopath and persistent ear infections which plagued my son, Steven, and the results were terrific.
    Funny, I agree about avoiding surgery - except when it is the best thing for the person. My surgeries (multiple broken bones in a foot, double hernia, back) all turned out fine. The back - I felt better four weeks after the surgery than I had in 15 years. Despite the best efforst of chiropractors, medical doctors, and physical therapsits, it was the guy with the knife who enabled me to be active once again. Maybe you should shop for better surgeons if your experiences have been so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    So, can the hostility. None was directed your way, and none was deserved to come mine.
    It is the superscilious tone of your posts regarding anything medical that produces such hostility. By the way, the doc who did my back surgery - originally trained as an osteopath. As is my own primary care doc.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Funny, I agree about avoiding surgery - except when it is the best thing for the person. My surgeries (multiple broken bones in a foot, double hernia, back) all turned out fine. The back - I felt better four weeks after the surgery than I had in 15 years. Despite the best efforst of chiropractors, medical doctors, and physical therapsits, it was the guy with the knife who enabled me to be active once again. Maybe you should shop for better surgeons if your experiences have been so bad.

It is the superscilious tone of your posts regarding anything medical that produces such hostility. By the way, the doc who did my back surgery - originally trained as an osteopath. As is my own primary care doc.
    Sorry about the tone. I thought the joke funny. Different strokes, I guess. I never said that I was disappointed with my surgeries (4, 3 on the knees, the 4th we'll leave unmentioned), or opposed to surgery if other options prove unnecessary.

My most recent surgery was a knee scope, maybe 15 years ago. My rehab was terrific (saw an old teammate I hadn't seen in 30 years and was wearing shorts; first thing he said to me was, "you got quads.") Anyway, with my quads, I started developing some real swing speed, I mean I was crushing the ball, 260-270 off the Tee, when that was real yardage. One time the rest of my body didn't follow (I started seeing osteopaths to keep a hinky back unhinky) and it felt like something in my left wrist popped.

Anyway, my orthopedist was actually the best hand-wrist guy in the DC area. He treated me for what I think was 6 months with various methods--immobilized, cortizone shots, PT, immobilized, more shots--and refused to do an MRI. When I really, really pressed him he said look, "if I can help you without surgery and your wrist stops hurting that is the way to go; if I need to do an MRI it will mean I need to cut, and you do not want that."

At some point the pain subsided. I didn't hit the ball quite so well anymore but I think that had more to do with atrophy of my quads as anything else.

Yes, in the meantime, I was seeing an osteopath and a chinese actupunturist who, in addition to using needles, did a form of very finite work with her fingers on my hand and wrist known as tweena. What made the pain subside, I do not know; nor do I know what was (is) broken, out of whack, over stretched in my wrist; what I do know is that it don't hurt, and that is enough for me.

Ear issues in youngsters, especially in real young ones, are often a function of the angle of their ear canals which will change over time or with help from an osteopath. Like I sasid it worked for Steven.

I am glad that your back surgery has helped.

In my case, as I have learned to do things better, issues with my back have subsided. I haven't seen Harold since about 6 months after I began studying to be a Feldenkrais practitioner, which was nearly 3 years ago. I used to see him at least once a month; often more.

Poor concepts about how we use overselves, concepts that underly habitual behaviors, can be improved upon. I have found the Feldenkrais Method to be a very effective modality in fostering my ability to improve how I do what I want. It has helped with the aches and pains, but more importantly for me, makes me feel clever in my body again and feel that I am growing in my ability to function well even while I do less. Amplitude isn't everything: for an old guy like me, it's in the short game, and becoming better, particularly with regard to moving parts of me that I didn't/don't do too well with.

We all know what those parts of us are, if we think about it, but tend to ignore them and forget what we are not good with. No more for me.

Be well.

At the risk of incurring AllenMurray's ire, there is a series of Awareness Through Movement lessons available through Feldenkrais Resources titled "TMJ" something. I purchased the series and have done them twice. I have improved significantly the extent to which I clench my jaw, tighten my neck muscles, tighten around the eyes, etc.

I have not had headaches before or after, so cannot speak to doing these lessons and potentially allieviating headaches if they are an issue. That said, the lessons are interesting and delightful, and being able to chose not to tighten and clench a real gift, at least for me.