Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canes! Canes! Canes!

Great overtime win for the Raleigh Hurricanes tonight over the Boston Bruins. Great game, great series!

Next up - the great Dennis Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins. A tough assignment, but so were Boston and New Jersey.

Go Canes!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Go 'Canes!! Exciting game to say the least!

That's Sidney Crosby, there.

Anyway, YES. Great night for the Canes. And as someone who hates Boston sports teams on a level that is second only to the Tar Heels, I also feel some kind of sadistic triumph about the HORRIBLE night that the city of Boston has had. Consider:

-Red Sox lose, Big Papi goes 0-7 and leaves TWELVE MEN on base.
    -Celtics lose Game 6 to Magic after several blown opportunities.
    -The underdog Hurricanes eliminate the top-seeded Bruins IN OVERTIME IN BOSTONWITH A GAME-WINNING GOAL BY SCOTT WALKER.

Check out last night's SportsWrap with Bill Simmons to see what it was like from a Boston fan's perspective. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26468

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

Next up - the great Dennis Crosby
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    LOL! I have a friend/business associate named Dennis Crosby. He lives in Oxford, NC, north of Durham. That's why the name Dennis popped out of my brain instead of Sidney. My apologies to all.

I'd love to see the Raleigh Hurricanes bring the Cup back to the Triangle again!

9F 9F 9F

I thought it was Norm Crosby. "Bullsear, Catnip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post

Anyway, YES. Great night for the Canes. And as someone who hates Boston sports teams on a level that is second only to the Tar Heels, I also feel some kind of sadistic triumph about the HORRIBLE night that the city of Boston has had. Consider:

-Red Sox lose, Big Papi goes 0-7 and leaves TWELVE MEN on base.
    -Celtics lose Game 6 to Magic after several blown opportunities.
    -The underdog Hurricanes eliminate the top-seeded Bruins IN OVERTIME IN BOSTONWITH A GAME-WINNING GOAL BY SCOTT WALKER.

Check out last night's SportsWrap with Bill Simmons to see what it was like from a Boston fan's perspective. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26468
    THANK YOU!!! Someone who hates all things Boston as I do. In the offseason they are my Tar Heels and sometimes I think my hatred for them eclipses my hatred for UNC. Then College basketball comes around and I remember who I hate the most.

Yes, yes...quite an entertaining game. I refer one and all to an old post of mine urging all other teams to enjoy it while it lasts....because the RED wall of defense awaits. If I could grow a beard, it would now be an impressive one.
    Let's go WINGS!

Sidney, Norm, Dennis...I hope the Canes turn 'em into Bing.

Everybody knows Sidney's the test-tube son of David Crosby.

Alright, I'm sorry... and let me preface this with, yes, I'm a Devils fan, and yes, I'm bitter. But ever since some genious thought it was a smart idea to move the Hartford Whalers to Carolina, all hockey fans of other teams... and I mean *ALL*... have noticed one thing. The fans of the Carolina Hurricanes, at least the ones in the building, have the cumulative hockey-IQ of a raisin, or Brittney Spears, take your pick. The fact that the OP said something about "Dennis Crosby" made me literally roll on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk15 View Post
    Alright, I'm sorry... and let me preface this with, yes, I'm a Devils fan, and yes, I'm bitter. But ever since some genious thought it was a smart idea to move the Hartford Whalers to Carolina, all hockey fans of other teams... and I mean *ALL*... have noticed one thing. The fans of the Carolina Hurricanes, at least the ones in the building, have the cumulative hockey-IQ of a raisin, or Brittney Spears, take your pick. The fact that the OP said something about "Dennis Crosby" made me literally roll on the floor.
    I'm such a goober, too, just like one of those fine Bahston sports writers labeled the 'Canes fans. Or was it a redneck. Or both. Here I thought it was David Crosby, too, just like my redneck/goober buddy, Killerleft, from Greensboro.(wink)
    Last edited by devildeac; 05-16-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added killerleft reference from his prior post.

Most Canes fans know a good bit about their own team, but since hockey is pretty new to the Triangle, most of them aren't really NHL-savvy and don't know a ton about other teams or history. It takes time. Also, try to find a non-Canes NHL game on TV around here. Not gonna happen. I haven't even seen any during the playoffs.

That's okay...

That's okay, I don't mind being labeled a "raisin" just as long as the 'Canes continue to make it through the playoffs and continue to beat teams from New England. I know the Devils won the cup a few years back (when was that again?), but when's the last time the Pens, Flyers, Rangers, Islanders, or Bruins won the Cup? Growing up in the South, I take just a little more pleasure in seeing some southern teams bring the cup below the Mason-Dixon line (Tampa Bay, ha!)

Nothing ever freezes around here, you know. None of our southern lines are blue. No one here ever heard of Bobby Hull or Maurice Richard. (Hell they still pronounce it as Rich-arrrd)
    The Greensboro Generals and the Charlotte Checkers never played in any games that were considered "serious" in the least. Nobody here has any respect for the game. Of course, that's why the team that was in Hartford came here, because the new stadium could never be filled.

I'm proud to not be a fan of an expansion team from Jersey.

Down here we just have a good time. We put the puck in the net, we cheer. Y'all put it in the net, we don't. Maybe things will change when we have to pass an NHL history test to see a game. I told my wife there was no way Matthew Broderick was as good a goaltender as Cam Ward, and I was right!

One thing's for sure. I saw more fighting in one Greensboro Generals vs. Charlotte Checkers game than I've seen in all the hockey ever played since.

I do take offense at being called a raisin. And who the heck is OP? I'm the one who accidentally called Sidney "Dennis", since I have a friend named Dennis Crosby. I grew up on Long Island rooting for the NY Rangers, before there were NY Islanders. I still know the Ranger's first line was Jean Ratelle, Vic Hatfield and Rod Gilbert, their second line was Walt Tkaczuk, Dave Balon and Billy Fairburn, their third line was centered by Bob Nevin, and Pete Stemkowski centered the fourth line. Brad Park was my favorite player (and second best defensemen in the league behind Bobby Orr), and Eddie Giacomin was one helluva goalie, and I believe may have been the last goalie to not wear a mask. So don't question my "hockey knowledge". I know what icing is, and the different ways you can be off sides, even when you couldn't make a 2 line pass.

Beating the NJ Devils is almost as much fun as beating carolina. Well, not really, but it is much easier to do in the playoffs.

Ooo! This is fun!

9F 9F 9F

I do take offense at being called a raisin. And who the heck is OP? I'm the one who accidentally called Sidney "Dennis", since I have a friend named Dennis Crosby. I grew up on Long Island rooting for the NY Rangers, before there were NY Islanders. I still know the Ranger's first line was Jean Ratelle, Vic Hatfield and Rod Gilbert, their second line was Walt Tkaczuk, Dave Balon and Billy Fairburn, their third line was centered by Bob Nevin, and Pete Stemkowski centered the fourth line. Brad Park was my favorite player (and second best defensemen in the league behind Bobby Orr), and Eddie Giacomin was one helluva goalie, and I believe may have been the last goalie to not wear a mask. So don't question my "hockey knowledge". I know what icing is, and the different ways you can be off sides, even when you couldn't make a 2 line pass.

Beating the NJ Devils is almost as much fun as beating carolina. Well, not really, but it is much easier to do in the playoffs.

Ooo! This is fun!
    I think the wrong "raisin" was picked on out of the box (or wrong "tart" [Ms. Spears] off the bakery shelf). LMAO! That's pretty darn good Ozzie for a "goober" or "redneck" hockey fan (see my prior post for the reference there). I grew up watching/rooting for the Flyers (aka The Broad Street Bullies) and I couldn't name more than 2-3 players from any of those years.

Heck, I live in Raleigh and enjoy the game but am not a bandwagon fan. I like the 'Canes winning against the odds, especially after going from rags (Hartford to Raleigh but playing in Greensboro) to riches (Stanley Cup finals loss) back to rags (not making the playoffs the following year) to Champions, back to rags not making the playoffs and now, playing for the Eastern Conference Championship again.

Ooo! This is fun!
    Dayum. I think this is what you kids call getting "pwned'?
    But I hear it's lovely in Newark this time of year.

Side note: The fact that you misspelled "genius" is deliciously ironic (you also misspelled Britney Spears' first name, but somehow that doesn't bother me much).

Ooo! This is fun!
    Hey, go pick on the poster. Leave my Devils alone in their misery!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The fans of the Carolina Hurricanes, at least the ones in the building, have the cumulative hockey-IQ of a raisin, or Brittney Spears, take your pick. The fact that the OP said something about "Dennis Crosby" made me literally roll on the floor.
    Thanks very much for taking your time to come in here and insult an entire culture. At least us rasins are still enjoying watching our team play.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."