• Princess Leah in her 2-piece suit and chained to Jabba the Hut

3 6.98%
  • Others (Please list in your post)

7 16.28%
  • "Han, I love you" "I know"

7 16.28%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Final Duel

For me, the scene/moment that always gives me chills is when Darth Vader finds out Luke has a sister (by reading Luke's mind) and Luke goes off on Vader, culminating the loss of Vader's hand and the final time Luke turns down the Emperor. It shows Luke getting oh so close to giving into his hatred, but then pulling back, showing that he will never turn.

But that's just my 2 cents.

devildm
    devildm
    Duke '03

I think its just a classic line when he says "Luke, I am your father".

I can't remember the exact lines, it's been a while, but one of my favorite moments was in ROTJ when Han told Leia he'd stay out of the way so she and Luke could get together. She tells him Luke's her brother, and the look on Solo's face is priceless. You can just SEE the wheels turning as he's noodling that through.

My favorite is the scene where Jar Jar Binks dies horribly.

Or maybe I just dreamed it.

voted other

I was always partial to the corny medal ceremony at the end of Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke #33 View Post
    Yup, I voted for that too. That moment was an earthshattering change in Hollywood. It was the first time a sequel contained a major twist that turned everything on its ear. It blew me away. For the next couple years, until Jedi came out, there was a near-constant debate as to whether Vader was telling the truth.

And, here it is!! (cue to about the 1:50 mark if you do not want to see the pre-fight where Luke gets his hand chopped off).

--Jason "I think you could watch almost the entire Star Wars movie on Youtube if you tried" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Does the Battle of Hoth count as a moment?

In a morbid and very disturbed way, I always enjoyed the moment where the one Ewok tries to wake up his Ewok friend who was just killed. Nope, I'm sorry, he's not waking up. He's dead.
    Dude, that scene still makes me tear up.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    My favorite is the scene where Jar Jar Binks dies horribly.

Or maybe I just dreamed it.
    No, I have seen it too. Dozens of times. Strange, though, the details do seem to shift. The most recurrent recollection is the scene where Jar-Jar's toungue sticks to a metal rail as a pod engine is started up, slowly sucking Jar-Jar into the turbine, stretching his toungue as the turbine fan shreds his body...

And then a tribe of Ewoks gets sucked through the same engine ...

Originally Posted by Duke #33
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ... Yup, I voted for that too. That moment was an earthshattering change in Hollywood. It was the first time a sequel contained a major twist that turned everything on its ear. It blew me away. For the next couple years, until Jedi came out, there was a near-constant debate as to whether Vader was telling the truth. ...

--Jason ... Evans
    I still harbor ill will toward Lucas for that "twist." As I understand the Jedi, a Jedi Knight would NOT lie. "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic." So when Obi Wan tells Luke that his father was "betrayed and murdered" by Darth Vader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukbTFgQ4jxs

that is not the truth, even "from a certain point of view."

To me, such ambiguity about the truth is the slippery slope slanted toward the Dark Side.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I still harbor ill will toward Lucas for that "twist." As I understand the Jedi, a Jedi Knight would NOT lie. "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic." So when Obi Wan tells Luke that his father was "betrayed and murdered" by Darth Vader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukbTFgQ4jxs

that is not the truth, even "from a certain point of view."

To me, such ambiguity about the truth is the slippery slope slanted toward the Dark Side.
    In my view, the notion that one is either dedicated to the Dark Side or to the good side of the Force is silly. The world is full of shades of gray.

--Jason "Han is the ultimate 'shades of gray' good guy" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

You know why I love Star Wars?

For EVERY single quote people have quoted here, and every one ever, I can recite it in the exact tone of voice and cadence that it was originally uttered in.

(after the most pregnant pause...) "... from a certain point of view."

(real angry!) "If this is a counselor ship, where is the ambassador?"

(said in that up and down tone) "I don't like you either. You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems."

(said in a laid back, slightly sarcastic bored tone) "Aren't you little short for a storm trooper?"

(said all offended and proper) "I think you overestimate their chances!"

(said with some force) "No disintegrations!"

Heck, on that last one, I actually point my finger too.

God I love reciting Star Wars lines. I am a dork!!

I didn't think the ambassador line was really spoken angrily. I thought it was more a huffy, sarcastic tone. I'm thinking of when he's speaking to ship's officer whose neck he's about to snap. Maybe you're talking about when he's yelling at Leia.

"Han, I love you" "I know"

I'm from West Virginia. What else can I say?
    ~rthomas

Always liked the notes and not the lyrics

IMHO in the first movie (1977 version) the first jump to hyperspace in the Millenium Falcon does it for me

The chess match with Luke and Chewie was pretty entertaining, too

Let the wookiee win.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Let the wookiee win.
    Ooh, this is a good one. I voted for "I love you/I know" here, but put me down as +1 for "loves the Hoth battle."
    I'd also like to offer the following thoughts:

"TK-421, why aren't you at your post?"
    "But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters!"
    "You don't need to see his identification. These aren't the droids you're looking for."
    "Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?"
    "Who's scruffy lookin'?"
    "This R-2 unit has a bad motivator!"
    "Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?"

I too love quoting Star Wars (and a number of other movies), and as you can see by the quotes above, I generally prefer the more obscure lines. My favorite thing ever is when an ordinary conversation presents an opportunity to respond in context with a movie quote.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Let the wookiee win.
    Also, I commend you heartily for spelling "Wookiee" correctly. And don't forget, Wookiees originated on the planet of Kashyyyk.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post

"TK-421, why aren't you at your post?"
    "But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters!"
    "You don't need to see his identification. These aren't the droids you're looking for."
    "Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?"
    "Who's scruffy lookin'?"
    "This R-2 unit has a bad motivator!"
    "Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?"
    There are a few in there which ARE a lot of fun to say... the bad motivator one is SO whiny, and of course scruffy looking is an all-timer to this scruffy looking nerf herder.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    In my view, the notion that one is either dedicated to the Dark Side or to the good side of the Force is silly. The world is full of shades of gray.

--Jason "Han is the ultimate 'shades of gray' good guy" Evans
    We are not talking about regular people here, we are talking about Jedi Knights, the ones that do not get married, the paragons of virtue. There is no for them.

As brilliant as Lucas was, his script writing left much to be desired. Having Obi Wan lie to Luke was the most glaring mistake in my mind.

I can't believe I didn't immediately mention the most memorable Star Wars moment - the Title Scene, followed by the Imperial Cruiser gradually dominating the screen - with a newfangled sound processing system rumbling so you felt your seat shake. For those that saw the original on the big screen, this was a quantum leap beyond anything ever done in the Sci-Fi / Fantasy film realm.

Yes I know that there wouldn't be sound in space, but I was willing to overlook that for the visceral feeling it created.

And yes, I was such a Sci-Fi geek that I had won tickets to the "sneak" preview.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    We are not talking about regular people here, we are talking about Jedi Knights, the ones that do not get married, the paragons of virtue. There is no for them.

As brilliant as Lucas was, his script writing left much to be desired. Having Obi Wan lie to Luke was the most glaring mistake in my mind.
    It is only a mistake if you believe that Lucas had planned out "Luke, I am your father" before he made the first movie. I am of the belief that after the first movie was a runaway success, he then said, "oh yeah, I haev a bunch of other sequels planned already."

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?