Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Duke leads 8-0 with 11:14 left in the 2nd period. Wow!

14-4, 4:40 left. Great game by Duke.

Exclamation Great defense and goaltending , but...

way too many turnovers!
    Best--Blue prof

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    way too many turnovers!
    Best--Blue prof
    I agree; however, the saturation of the field my have resulted in inordinate turnovers by both teams. In addition, defense was truly excellent and six (if my count is correct) Devils had at least two goals against Navy's highly-reputed defense. That's balanced offense.

Lightbulb Those odds were before any tournament games were played

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    The IL remarks re these odds (and Duke has at least the 2nd most difficult path on paper to the trophy):
    "Duke: 4/1
    Interesting that Wynn thinks the Devils will advance to the final out of the Syracuse/Notre Dame side. Pretty generous for a team that’s never won a title."

Best--Blue Prof

The IL remarks re these odds (and Duke has at least the 2nd most difficult path on paper to the trophy):
    Interesting that Wynn thinks the Devils will advance to the final out of the Syracuse/Notre Dame side. Pretty generous for a team that’s never won a title."

Best--Blue Prof
    http://blogs.insidelacrosse.com/2009...ams-announced/

BTW, four Duke commits, including Kelly Tripuka's son, Jake, made the UA All-American game.

Final:
    Duke 14
    Navy 5

Final:
    unc 15
    UMBC 13

Next Saturday:

Good vs evil for the 3rd time this year in Annapolis

Perhaps the thread could be retitled: Men's Lax-2009 Edition or have separate threads for the men and women as they hopefully go deep into the tourney.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Best--Blue Prof
    That quote is from an "analyst" who predicted Navy to win a game that was essentially over after the 1st period, and had the worst record amongst the IL/ESPN writers predicting the opening round games. Given Duke's relative success in recent NCAA play, and in reaching the championship game, the statement isn't exactly logical, let alone inciteful.

Lightbulb I report, you decide...

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    That quote is from an "analyst" who predicted Navy to win a game that was essentially over after the 1st period, and had the worst record amongst the IL/ESPN writers predicting the opening round games. Given Duke's relative success in recent NCAA play, and in reaching the championship game, the statement isn't exactly logical, let alone inciteful.
    A number of lacrosse commentators are waiting for us to win our first

championship. This comment bothers me not the least.There are commentators (UNC's Willie Scruggs) who do not like us. Many of the commentators are ex Hop, Maryland, and other bitter rival schools' players.

I cannot find fault with the perception that Duke has at least the second most difficult road to winning the championship.
    I watched all 8 games Sat. and Sun. Talk about contrasting styles!
    What I have liked about Duke so far : speed, excellent defense, great at goundballs, excellent goaltending.
    Do not like: turnovers. Moreover vs. UNC, we better be better at winning faceoffs or we'll give Bitter and co. too many opps.

Best--Blue Prof

Conventional wisdom is that Billy Bitter's eight-goal explosion against UMBC was the most outstanding individual performance of the first round, but I'm not sure that I wouldn't give the nod to Parker McKee's 14 ground balls.

Conventional wisdom is that Schroeder is Duke's Achilles heel. And let's be real, he's not Dan Loftus by any stretch of the imagination. But in the last two months, he has made the saves he has had to make, and he's been fantastic early in games. Being hot early is invaluable in setting the tone for the game. Navy was dead as soon as Schroeder made those two huge saves on the Mids' first two shots. If he does that against the Holes, they will be just as dead.

The combination of Payton and Costabile were better than 50 percent against Walterhoefer last time out. If they do that again, Duke wins easily.

Having watched all eight games last weekend, having followed this season -- and Duke for many years --carefully, and having played in the 1960s both in high school and college, I strongly agree with the last two posts. In particular, I want to highlight both Duke's containing improvement throughout the season and Schroeder's major contributions. It is my considered opinion that Duke has a very substantial -- at least as good as any other team -- opportunity to win the NCAA Championship in late-May. I also believe that the culture created by Coach Danowski (and Coach Pressler before him) is likely to attract superb student athletes for many years. GO BLUE DEVILS!

To what do you ascribe Schroeder's improvement in the last 3 months?

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Having watched all eight games last weekend, having followed this season -- and Duke for many years --carefully, and having played in the 1960s both in high school and college, I strongly agree with the last two posts. In particular, I want to highlight both Duke's containing improvement throughout the season and Schroeder's major contributions. It is my considered opinion that Duke has a very substantial -- at least as good as any other team -- opportunity to win the NCAA Championship in late-May. I also believe that the culture created by Coach Danowski (and Coach Pressler before him) is likely to attract superb student athletes for many years. GO BLUE DEVILS!
    He looked like one of the top 3 keepers in the 8 games. Also, are our slashers undersized?
    Rarely have I witnessed the ferocious defense , esp. by our LSs in, causing dropped balls.They may be our ace.
    I am concerned with Duke's not getting off to a fast start. That hurt us vs. Hop and got in our minds.
    When Duke is comfortable and fluid, they are as fast as any team . The stick work has improved over the last year.
    I think Dano has done a fine coaching job. This team seems happier.
    I rarely say something like this, but Duke deserves this championship---they need to go get it!!

Best--Blue Prof

Thumbs up Inside Lacrosse's Team of the First Round

Excerpts:
    This suspiciously looks like a All-American candidate list, but at this point in the season you start to expect big performances from the game’s best players. It also works as a preview of the Quarterfinals. Can these guys keep up their production?
    ATTACK

MVP Billy Bitter, North Carolina
    8 goals on 9 shots, plus an assist to boot. Does he sneak in and win the Jack Turnball Award this year?

Big Time Chris Boland, Johns Hopkins
    The Blue Jays needed their offense to carry them against Brown, and Boland stepped up with a big 5 goal, 2 assist performance.

Rookie Sensation Rob Pannell, Cornell
    Three goals and two assists from the freshman. His production was vital in a tough 11-8 victory over Hofstra.
    MIDFIELD

MVP Mark Kolver, Princeton
    If you give Kolver time and room, he can beat you straight up every time. His five goals and one assist helped push Princeton over UMass.

Big Time Brian Carroll, Virginia
    Have to like the junior middie dropping five goals to help the Cavs’ offense get back on track.

Clutch Brian Christopher, Johns Hopkins
    Brown knew that Hopkins was going to put the ball in Christopher’s stick after coming off the OT timeout, and they still couldn’t stop him. The goal, which won the game 12-11, was his third OT goal in four games for Christopher.

F/O Shane Walterhoefer, North Carolina
    Finished 22-31 against UMBC in a game where winning possession was widely important.
    DEFENSE

Big Time Max Schmidt, Defense
    Maryland’s defense as a whole dominated Notre Dame, but Schmidt’s performance [stats include 2 groundballs and a caused turnover] stood out.

Senior Leadership Matt Moyer, Cornell
    Moyer’s presence was welcome in this close contest, scooping three groundballs and one caused turnover. He also scored a crucial goal.

Career High Parker McKee, Duke
    Scooped a career high 14 groundballs against Navy. McKee just flies over the field. Duke’s defense versus UNC’s offense will be a show.
    GOAL

Clutch Brent Herbst, Siena
    Siena, this year’s MAAC champ qualifier, stayed close to Syracuse for three quarters (4-0 at the end of the first half, 6-2 at the end of the third quarter) thanks to the quality performance from Herbst. He racked up 10 saves against the Orange, including five first quarter stops, before Syracuse tacked on five fourth-quarter goals to win 11-4.

Best--Blue Prof

He looked like one of the top 3 keepers in the 8 games. Also, are our slashers undersized?
    Rarely have I witnessed the ferocious defense , esp. by our LSs in, causing dropped balls.They may be our ace.
    BlueProf -

I agree entirely, especially with the above. Everyone accurately suggests that Duke is an offensive juggernaut, but our virtually unprecedented scoring margins in recent games against excellent teams (UVa, Navy and even UNC) have resulted from intense, unremitting DEFENSE. It is my opinion that as long as this team remains the defensive powerhouse it has become in the March, April, and May, it is likely to be undefeated. Warm regards.

Beware of the Maxman, Siebold that is. The freshman attack played great but Hofstra's focus was on stopping Max, not him. Hofstra's best mid, a kid from the same high school as Siebold, was committed to staying in his numbers whereever Max went and whereever the ball was. Max still got two, but the attention he got created space where there should not have been.

Siebold is a beast and will not be taken out as easy as the last time (you guys do remember that, um, hit, don't you; I'm bettin Max does too). His strength provides that something extra, while he has the speed, dexterity, and cleverness that many of these great kids in the tournament display. I'm betting (hoping) that that combination of ingredients, and his ability to see the game in terms of making his teammates better, will be the difference. Yes, I preceded Max at Cornell and at Hewlett High School.

I believe the national champion will come from the game in LI this weekend, although the team I fear the most is the Cuse. In addition to the X factor, Abbot and his ability in clearing/transition situtations, they just picked up a box lacrosser who was academically ineligible until now. He is a load near the goal and showed amazing deftness and strength in a crowd. How does that work--kid is academically ineligible until school is out but lax goes on and he gets to play this season? Not at the Big Red or Duke it wouldn't work that way.

The lefty from Princeton has the most effective shot in the game, very, very unusual mode of delivery. Drops the stick down with the basket face up, interrupts the downward acceleration of gravity with the multiplier of hip/torso rotation and then rotates his forarms to create yet a third multiplier. A rocket. Curious observation on ESPNU's bias. They had a special piece on a guy from Hopkins with a similar shot, which lacks the initial drop that the Princeton kid's has, and has less pop. They chose the Hopkins kid for the piece, even though there's no misstaking who has the more effective shot.

Hope we meet you guys again this season. Would be great: I'd definitely be there again. Last time, I went knowing that I would be happy no matter who won; this time not so much. Later.
    Last edited by greybeard; 05-12-2009 at 02:09 PM.

some wisdom pleasw

from the quoted link
    Keep in mind that Duke has found ways to lose playoffs games in 2005, 2007 and 2008 when it had the more talented team.

I took Lacrosse as a PE elective back in 1968 and have sorta followed it in recent years since my wife teaches at a school across the river in Westchester where it is a big sport.

Can someone with more knowledge comment on this comment?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    from the quoted link
    Keep in mind that Duke has found ways to lose playoffs games in 2005, 2007 and 2008 when it had the more talented team.

I took Lacrosse as a PE elective back in 1968 and have sorta followed it in recent years since my wife teaches at a school across the river in Westchester where it is a big sport.

Jim
    True, but irrelevant. That was then, this is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    from the quoted link

Jim
    I actually live in Westchester and went to high school with four former lax all-Americans (two different high schools). I used to be friendly with Coach Alberici, Pressler's former chief assistant and the head coach at Army. Sadly, the author is making an accurate comment. With Greer, we would be the favorite again this year. My only concern about Danowski is his recruiting. Carolina's coach has been very aggressive in recruiting since arriving from Ohio St and UVA has been on a tear.

If you don't mind me asking, which school does your wife teach at?