Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Duke leads GT 6-4 in the bottom of the 6th with Andrew Wolcott pitching.

GO DUKE!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Sill 6-4 Duke, middle of the eighth. GaTech had the tying run up in the top of the eighth. Wolcott has thrown 116 pitches; I assume we will see Alex Hassan in the ninth unless Duke blows it open in its half of the eighth.

Wolcott is starting the ninth.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Leadoff batter grounds to second.

Two out, none on.

Duke Wins!

a 129-pitch complete game for Wolcott. Way to go, fellas! On to the ACC Tournament!

Exactly, on to the Acc Tourny. Fortunately, I am here in Raleigh so I can go and cheer the guys on.

Great game by Wolcott!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    a 129-pitch complete game for Wolcott. Way to go, fellas! On to the ACC Tournament!
    YES!! Can't wait to see us play in the ACC (and hopefully) NCAA Tourney. This team looks good and its only going to get better. I tip my cap to Coach Mac on a job well done, and what I hope to be a good post season run.

This year's Fresno State could be Duke? Unlikely, but hey, who knows?

Wolcott really gutted it out. He gave up four runs early and then shut down one of the best offensive teams in college ball.

It's great to qualify for the ACCT by beating a top team rather than back in by having somebody else lose.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It would be nice if we topped it off with another win to take the series.
    Congrats on being tourney bound Devils!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is fabulous news. A hearty congrats to these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It's great to qualify for the ACCT by beating a top team rather than back in by having somebody else lose.
    I totally expected Duke to back in...after watching parts of the the FSU/GTech series, I was wondering if Duke had it in them to win any games in our series.

I am very impressed (and hopeful) with the direction of ALL Duke Athletics!

If Duke and BC both finish at .500, does Duke get the seventh seed having won the series?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Going into the 6th, Duke has 3-1 lead in the last game at Coombs for the seniors. Streaming audio on GoDuke.com.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

After giving up a 2 run homer to tie the game Duke hits a two rum homer of its own and has a 5-3 lead in the ninth.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Ness comes on in relief, 9th inning, GT has 2 on, batter has the go ahead homer. If Ness works it, game over and series won. GO DUKE!

Sounds like a hell of a catch off the very first Ness pitch, bounces off wall. Duke just won. Wooohooo!

Duke might have 7 seed for tourney, but either way congrats to the seniors, the rest of the team, and to the coaching staff, for bringing Duke back to relevance in ACC baseball.

Full story here:http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=3739402

Heck of a win for the game and series and season.

A huge congrats.

I'm not sure if Duke has the horses to make a deep run next week or not. But I'm seeing a team that loose, confident, and trusts itself. Duke could pull an o'fer next week but I wouldn't count on it. Manno and Wolcott can get anyone out and there's some solid upperclass leadership that has worked long and hard to turn around this program and get a chance to make some noise in the post-season. The transformation on this program under McNally is quite impressive and I think he's building a program, not a one-year wonder.

The biggest news today was the solid performance of starter Eric Pfisterer. Duke has really struggled finding a third quality starter behind Manno and Wolcott. Pfisterer gave Duke a solid 5+ innings today and really deserved the win; O'Grady couldn't hold the lead and Pfisterer had a no decision but that doesn't change the fact that he may have solidified the rotation. And he's a true freshman, so he's going to get better.

Duke's D continues to be an asset. McCurdy and Freiman made high-quality plays today, as did GT SS Derek Dietrich. BTW, if you think of Freiman as just a big, home-run hitting galoot, you're not getting the full picture. Kid can play.

The ACC may well be the second-best conference in the country and going
    .500 in league play is an accomplishment worthy of celebration.

And there may well be more accomplishments this season.