Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Duke Baseball - 2009 Thread

Duke beat BC today 9-2, taking the first 2 games of the series. They improve to 12-11 in the ACC and jump to 7th place. BC falls to
    10-11. Big win.
    Last edited by chrishoke; 04-25-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: mistake
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

duke baseball

great win

Last two ACC series are at UVA and home against GT. UVA is 12-7 in ACC play and GT is leading the Coastal Division.

Go DUKE!!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    When will they know if they qualify for the ACC tournament, or has it already been decided? I'm assuming with a winning conference record, the chances have to be looking good.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    When will they know if they qualify for the ACC tournament, or has it already been decided? I'm assuming with a winning conference record, the chances have to be looking good.
    Very unlikely that we will keep that winning record - after Sunday's game w/ BC, we have three game sets with virginia and GT, both ranked. Still could go down to the wire.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke loses to BC in 11, 7-6.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

We look to be in pretty good shape. You can pretty much count out Wake and Maryland (oddly enough, we lost both those series) and NCSU is almost in that category (they'd have to win 5 more games than us to finish ahead since they are 4 behind and we won our head to head series). 3 out of 4 of the following will round out the tourney field...

Duke (Virginia and Ga Tech to play)
    Miami (one game up on us and have BC and Wake left)
    BC (tied with us but with one less win; Miami and NC left)
    Virginia Tech (1.5 games behind us with FSU and Virginia)

I like our chances of finishing in 7th place! Great move up for the Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    We look to be in pretty good shape. You can pretty much count out Wake and Maryland (oddly enough, we lost both those series) and NCSU is almost in that category (they'd have to win 5 more games than us to finish ahead since they are 4 behind and we won our head to head series). 3 out of 4 of the following will round out the tourney field...

Duke (Virginia and Ga Tech to play)
    Miami (one game up on us and have BC and Wake left)
    BC (tied with us but with one less win; Miami and NC left)
    Virginia Tech (1.5 games behind us with FSU and Virginia)

I like our chances of finishing in 7th place! Great move up for the Devils!
    Duke's magic number vs. VPI is five, i.e., any combination of Duke wins and Hokie losses totaling five and Duke is in. The magic number vs. State is three. The magic number vs. Maryland and Wake is one.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Duke's magic number vs. VPI is five, i.e., any combination of Duke wins and Hokie losses totaling five and Duke is in. The magic number vs. State is three. The magic number vs. Maryland and Wake is one.
    BC lost to the U today and VPI is down 7-2 to FSU in the 8th. Duke doesn't olay this weekend so all i can do is scoreboard watch.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I really like this team. Not only will they be an ACC tourney team but I believe without the NCAA mandated schedule change, they would have made it to the NCAA regionals. Because of the shortened calendar, teams are having to play more midweek games in a shorter time period. This puts a team like Duke at a distinct disadvantage. It is hard to fill up a pitching staff beyond 5-6 high quality D1 pitchers when it costs $50k for a walk-on to pay for school. Baseball is THE hardest sport at Duke to field a competitive program. I believe McNally and staff are doing a phenomenal job.

FSU is helping Duke for the second night in succession. The Noles lead VPI 10-3 in the seventh.

FSU beat VPI 10-4
    U beat BC 7-5.
    Excellent.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

FSU just pulled off a triple play - VPI had the bases loaded with, of course no outs in the third. FSU leads 2-1.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

FSU beats VPI 9-4. Our magic number with VPI is now down to 2.
    BC killed Miami.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Stew the Turtle

Murlund has lost two to Clemson this weekend, so they are done in terms of having a chance to overtake Duke.

I think the standings on theacc.com have VPI's conference record incorrect. They are 10-16 in conference, not 10-15. They had a game against Carolina rained out, and their only remaining conference series is against the Hoos.

Scoreboard Watching

Duke leads Virginia 7-3 in the top of the eighth.

State has defeated Carolina, 3-0.

Last I checked, Maryland was leading Wake by a bunch, late.

If those results hold, Wake is eliminated and Duke's magic number is down to two against both State and VPI.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Thanks for update Burns, forgot they were playing tonight. I know they got game bumped to 1 tomorrow. Duke might make me a fan of baseball before the end of the season. Paintings for next year?, hmmm.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke beat the Cavs 11-4.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Big win for the Devils on the road against a quality opponent. Home run by Feiman and grand-slam homer by Lemmerman. Plus, another solid starting effort by Manno.

Onward to the tounament, hopefully. Wow, what a beat down. Tomorrow a win would put the Devils in a great position.