Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Gerald Henderson enters the draft, signs with agent

Duke released its official announcement. It says he has not yet hired an agent, although I think that's a mere formality -- unless something drastic happens (injury, forgetting how to dribble), it doesn't seem Gerald will return, so let's not spend the next seven weeks hoping for some unlikely scenario. I wish Gerald nothing but the best of luck, and hope everyone can discuss this in a civil, rational manner.

It is weird that he didn't have a press conference.

Congratulations

Gerald as I know this was a life long dream. I wish you well and you will always be one of my favorite Duke players. Thanks for your 3 years in Duke Blue. Go Gerald and Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    It is weird that he didn't have a press conference.
    Best of luck G. Wish he was coming back, but I support him 100%.

But G,
    feel free to come back to school anytime you want!

Good luck G!

Darnit. Best of luck, G.

I see no reason to be bitter about G's decision, he played great for us and I'll follow his career in the pros for sure. I won't lie and say I'm not disappointed at next years team potential had G stayed, but there are no guarantees we'll win it all with him or that we can't without (though 2011 looks like a better bet). Best of luck to Hendo. I hope he gets picked by a team that can actually use him, versus the best available scenario.

Good luck, Gerald. Tear 'em up at the next level.

While its sad we weren't able to have you for four years, the three you spent here we enjoyed greatly. It's been wild watching you go from high school to the kid nobody could stop in college. I know this is the right decision for you. Best of luck G. Take it easy on the Sixers for me!

Hopefully, G will be a long time contributor in the NBA.

I think the success of next year's team hinge on EW and Nolan. If they can step into big-time offensive roles and improve on defense, we should be better than last year. If not, I suspect we will struggle to beat the top tier teams.

I've never felt that Walls would ever enroll at Duke, but if I'm wrong, then we have a lot of guns - especially if MP II can hold down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post

I think the success of next year's team hinge on EW and Nolan. If they can step into big-time offensive roles and improve on defense, we should be better than last year. If not, I suspect we will struggle to beat the top tier teams.

I've never felt that Walls would ever enroll at Duke, but if I'm wrong, then we have a lot of guns - especially if MP II can hold down the middle.
    Absolutely. Elliot and Nolan I think will have break out seasons. EW gets that mid range game and suddenly he is becoming a left handed G.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post

Best of luck to Henderson. It's hard to begrudge anyone for wanting to pursue their dream. I'd certainly have loved to see him for one more year, but I would have been shocked if he returned. His stock wasn't likely to get higher and he's picked in the first round with guaranteed money. People who complain that he should stay are simply being selfish (wanting him to stay for their viewing pleasure) or perhaps misguided (thinking they know what's best for him).

As for next year, we could really use another guard (especially a PG). We're going to be very thin in the backcourt, and I agree that Smith and Williams are going to need to step up big-time next year. It would be really helpful to add someone, if for no other reason than to have SOME backcourt depth.

12. Good luck, G. You were so much fun to watch and cheer for. I can't wait to see you posterizing NBA players next season. Thanks for all the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Absolutely. Elliot and Nolan I think will have break out seasons. EW gets that mid range game and suddenly he is becoming a left handed G.
    If I have to hear the term "left-handed G" for the next six-plus months, well ... I won't be happy. G wasn't even "G" until January. Remember how he started the season? And G still has holes in his game that he will work to improve. The point is that Elliot was a very nice role player at the end of the year, and hopefully will progress over the summer. But he will not be G, nor does he have to be. That kind of work takes time, and if Elliot can tighten his ball-handling a bit, learn to go right a little better and be able to knock down open jumpers, that would be major imporvement. Expecting more is just silly, IMHO.

Smile I like that Coach K is "100 %" behind his decision!

Hi,

If Coach K is 100 percent behind it, so am I. GO G GO (but stay if you happen to change your mind)

GO DUKE!

I think once G really turned it on (the Georgetown game comes to mind) we all knew this day would come. It's been a pleasure watching him and I can't wait to see what he does at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    If I have to hear the term "left-handed G" for the next six-plus months, well ... I won't be happy. G wasn't even "G" until January. Remember how he started the season? And G still has holes in his game that he will work to improve. The point is that Elliot was a very nice role player at the end of the year, and hopefully will progress over the summer. But he will not be G, nor does he have to be. That kind of work takes time, and if Elliot can tighten his ball-handling a bit, learn to go right a little better and be able to knock down open jumpers, that would be major imporvement. Expecting more is just silly, IMHO.
    First of all, I wasn't trying to imply he would be a Third team All-america. I'm not expecting EW to average 16 and 5. I said earlier a good season for EW will be 10 ppg. The fact is, there will be more shots to go around now, and we need him to step up. My basic point is...they both drive. They both are 6'4''. G improved his mid-range game later. It is said EW is as athletic as G also. Obviously EW is still developing, something G was doing as well his sophomore year and into this year. I don't know what was so outlandish of a comparison like that.

I really want G to do well on the next level, but this news truly makes me think of what could have been.

I have a firm belief that top programs rise and fall in 2-4 year waves. Before each season a fan base should be able to identify what place in the wave they are by the personnel they have. "A sweet sixteen team"... "A NCAA tourney team"... etc..

Of course, teams can get hot and go on runs in March or fall flat around tournament time and underachieve, but I think that top tier teams only get championship caliber teams every 2-4 years in the modern world of basketball. When a top tier team wins a championship, their recruiting gets better and the cycle can easily shorten to 2-3 years.

Kansas has a great talent cycle right now and is probably on the 2-3 year track. Carolina just finished the peak of their 4 year track, but looks to get a jump off of it and move in to a 2-3 year cycle. Duke just finished the third year of a four-year cycle (2006 was Duke's last crest- we underachieved unfortunately... which led to the "fall of Duke" talk)

Next year was going to be a Peak for Duke (best chance for a championship since 2006). However there are a number of things that can interrupt the cycles (which is why it is so hard to be consistently great). Those things include: coaching changes (setback), Great Players leaving early (setback), landing game-changing recruits (accelerating process), a recruit failing to improve, and a number of other things...

Duke's potential championship peak might have just been cancelled. Of course, nothing is set in stone. Wall would change things, a couple of players could develop beyond expectations, but my guess is that Henderson leaving signals the cancellation of a championship-caliber peak in the program. That is just how it works in modern college basketball (IMO of course).

I look forward to having a championship caliber team in 2013 or 2014. Whether or not we have one before then isn't impossible, but chances of that happening seem to have just taken a big hit.

Again, I have no bitterness reserved for G. I was happy to have him while he was here. This is just basketball today. Hope you have a great NBA career G!!

2010-2011

I believe we can have a Final Four/Championship contender next Season with a commitment from either Wall or Bledsoe. Without, we are crazy thin in the backcourt. Woefully thin to be exact. And in fact, I question the recruitment process in a big way. G going pro shouldn't have caught anyone by surprise. The fact that we only have Ewill, Smith and Sheyer for guards at Duke is a glaring mis-management of the program. Seriously, of all the kids who play hoops we sign 3 to play at Duke, you are kidding me right? I don't blame G for that. Placing all our bets on a spring commitment from two guards that haven't academically cleared is a sign of desperation.

However, K and staff could be totally exonerated by landing Wall...I don't know that any of us expect that though.

I'd be interested to hear from Gerald more directly, and maybe we will as the draft approaches.

What was his thinking? Was it a close call? Will he consider pulling out if his projected draft position is not what he expected?

Good luck, Gerald; really enjoyed watching you.

Maybe this has been posted somewhere else, but where is G projected to go in the draft (#, not team)?