Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting Jordan Brand Classic Interview with Ryan Kelly, Henry, and Henson

Ryan was interviewed about the recruiting process with other "top" recruits Xavier Henry (uncommitted), Alex Oriakhi (UConn) and John Henson (UNC).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ble/index.html

What was your reaction to Brandon Jennings going to Europe last year? Did you consider it?

Henson: ... he couldn't play college, right? Well, I guess that's the only option unless you go JUCO. He did what he had to do.

Kelly: ... I don't know if it would be an option I'd look at. Personally I'd want to get somewhat of an education.

Henson: True that. That's a very Duke-like answer.
    There is more give and take between Ryan and Henson about Ryan playing double bass in the school orchestra.

Henson comes off as a real wise guy. I predict he'll fit right into Danny Green's dancing shoes.

I'm guessing this Henson guy is a smarty, all by myself, don't talk to me kinda guy.

Sorry guys, I liked the interview so much I'm changing the title of the thread.

Henson does seem like the annoying, obnoxious type. Here's to hoping Kelly goes 4-0 at UNC while Henson's there.

Yeah, that was an interesting interview. I don't get what is so funny about playing the bass; I always thought the bass was a pretty bada** instrument, but maybe I'm just an orchestra nerd. Also, I thought it was a little distasteful for Henson to bring up Brandon Jennings' bad SAT scores (even if it's true) and to say he "hasn't been playing against the best players." That may be true too, but respect your opponents! So yeah, I don't think I'll have any problem working up some Henson-hate next year.

Quote Originally Posted by huied View Post
    Henson does seem like the annoying, obnoxious type. Here's to hoping Kelly goes 4-0 at UNC while Henson's there.
    What? I thought the kid was hilarious. Very quick wit.

kelly: I give shoes away.
    Henson: What size do you wear?
    Kelly: 16
    Henson: Me too. So what are you giving away this week?

That's just classic. And the rivalry continues...

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Yeah, that was an interesting interview. I don't get what is so funny about playing the bass; I always thought the bass was a pretty bada** instrument, but maybe I'm just an orchestra nerd. Also, I thought it was a little distasteful for Henson to bring up Brandon Jennings' bad SAT scores (even if it's true) and to say he "hasn't been playing against the best players." That may be true too, but respect your opponents! So yeah, I don't think I'll have any problem working up some Henson-hate next year.
    He didn't bring up his grades - EVERYONE knew that Jennings either had some tough academic related decisions. And I'm not sure if you've noticed but Henson's pretty good and from a small city. Chances are he hasn't seen a lot of the top flight talent - except in these all star games.

And playing the bass in basketball terms is right up there with JJ writing poetry. It's so NON-athletic that it has to be funny. Lots of basketball players have hidden talents - most of them don't want you to know.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post

That was Henry, not Henson.

How many pairs of sneakers do you have in your house right now?

Henry: Six. Enough to wear a pair everyday. Blessed to have some shoes.

Henson: About 13.

Kelly: I give away shoes.

Henry: What size are you?

Kelly: 16.

Henry: Me too. What are you giving away this week?

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    He didn't bring up his grades - EVERYONE knew that Jennings either had some tough academic related decisions. And I'm not sure if you've noticed but Henson's pretty good and from a small city. Chances are he hasn't seen a lot of the top flight talent - except in these all star games.

And playing the bass in basketball terms is right up there with JJ writing poetry. It's so NON-athletic that it has to be funny. Lots of basketball players have hidden talents - most of them don't want you to know.
    Like I said before, regardless of the statement's truth or how well-known it is, to point out your peers' academic failings or lack of athletic talent is distasteful. You can talk about Brandon Jennings without talking about his SAT scores; the other kids did. And if Henson's played in all-star games, then why couldn't he have mentioned that? He basically said he's never played against anyone that impressed him. That's just rude.

And yes, I understand that other kids will make fun of those of us who play(ed) an instrument--doesn't mean I have to like it.

Thats actually Henry who said that, but I do agree that I though Henson sounded like fun.

From everything I've heard and read, including those who've spoken with him directly, Henson is a hilarious, great kid.

But whatever.

It's dangerous to try and read too much into anyone's personality/character based on a text-only transcript. For all we know, they were all laughing and screwing around the whole time. I thought this was a funny little exchange though:

What did you think of John Calipari leaving Memphis for Kentucky?

Henry: I was just shocked that he left Memphis. That's all I can say on that.

Henson: I just felt really sorry for Xavier.

Henry: No, you didn't. You just kept coming up to me at [the] McDonald's [All-American game] saying, "You've got no coach. What are you going to do now?"

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    That was Henry, not Henson.

How many pairs of sneakers do you have in your house right now?

Henry: Six. Enough to wear a pair everyday. Blessed to have some shoes.

Henson: About 13.

Kelly: I give away shoes.

Henry: What size are you?

Kelly: 16.

Henry: Me too. What are you giving away this week?
    Dang - I was really praying Henson needed shoes.

I thought it was interesting that they unanimously described Peyton Siva (Louisville) as best athlete, Wally Judge (Kansas State) as best dunker, and John Jenkins (Vanderbilt) as best shooter. High praise for those three. I didn't know much about Wally Judge, but I found a video that might explain why he's the unanimous best dunker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq7Fk...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I thought it was interesting that they unanimously described Peyton Siva (Louisville) as best athlete, Wally Judge (Kansas State) as best dunker, and John Jenkins (Vanderbilt) as best shooter. High praise for those three. I didn't know much about Wally Judge, but I found a video that might explain why he's the unanimous best dunker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq7Fk...eature=related
    It should be mentioned that Derrick Favors also got everyone's vote for best rebounder except for Alex Oriakhi, who voted for himself (no bias there).

Quote Originally Posted by Double DD View Post
    It should be mentioned that Derrick Favors also got everyone's vote for best rebounder except for Alex Oriakhi, who voted for himself (no bias there).
    True. Favors is very good... I will go ahead and predict he'll be first team all-conference and will be in the running for ACC POY. The only thing stopping him from POY will be Kyle Singler (unless Henderson surprises everyone and comes back... which he should ).

It was a great interview

I agree with the above posters who say Henson is witty and seems to have a good sense of humor...I mean c'mon, the questions are softballs...when you've been interviewed a thousand times, you're 17-18 years old, you're considered a top-10 recruit nationally, you're bound to be a wise-as*...

If anything, Ryan came off a bit stiff....but who knows....we are all at the whims of the media and how they want to frame things.

I think I like Henson; it's a shame he's going to Carolina. A few years of him being a Hole can certainly change my perspective. Too bad I married one.

Henson is just having fun and getting aquainted with the Rivalry. Ryan, to his credit, was intentionally coy, which sort of helped the whole thing play out. People really shouldn't think less of Henson because of this, he's having fun, and he picked on Xavier Henry too.

Wink

Let's be serious here for a second. Anyone trying to read too much into this interview transcript is trying to hang on something said. No one knows how these guys were saying what they said, the body language given or anything like that. Things written in print can be taken out of context so easily has many have seen on this board or in their personel emails/IMs to friends and colleagues. Take it for what it's worth, 4 high school kids having fun with a interview at a all-star game and reserve judgment on them until we seen them play and speak on a more regular basis after next year. I know it's tough but we can do it, especially with Mr. Henson at UNC