Basketball Team as a Football Team

With all of the Paulus QB talk, I was wondering what positions the other guys on the team would play if they were made into a football team...

Here are my thoughts:

Paulus - QB
    Nolan - RB, quick and short, he could also probably return kicks
    Elliot - WR, 6'4" and fast, good hands, good leaper
    Czyz - LB or TE, he's surprisingly fast and I wouldn't want to get hit by him
    Zoubek - he could either be an offensive lineman or he could stand with his hands up and be the goalposts
    Lance - No idea, maybe receiver
    Singler - He played QB in HS; I could see him at a few positions, maybe TE
    Miles - No clue, but he'd be effective at blocking kicks
    Scheyer - Punter?
    Henderson - Safety
    McClure - Not sure, maybe TE
    Pocius - Kicker, possible safety
    Davidson - Middle linebacker (he has the good Davidson genes)
    Johnson - I'd use him on special teams with Miles to block kicks

Who on the team (besides Paulus) would actually have the best shot at a football career? In what position?

This is a pretty fun offseason question. Are you going under the presumption that they never played before? If so, that pretty much disqualifies anyone from QB. I think Singler played a little but was not going to be a high level qb.

As for positions, I don't know if Smith could be an rb, without putting on at least 20 pounds. Adrian Peterson at only 6 ft 1 is 217 pounds. Smith is probably a couple inches taller, and is about 40 pounds lighter. Heck, someone like Deangelo hall at 5 ft 10, is about 200 pounds. Smith would probably be more of a safety in my opinion.

Agree on Elliot. Czyz could actually be a pretty nasty LB if he can get up to 250 lb. Don't know if he has the hands to be a TE but if he does, that'd be an ideal position as well.

Expanding this back a little farther, I think guys like Demarcus and JWill would've been really good football players. Obviously, Demarcus did have a successful high school career in California so you know he had it in him.

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    This is a pretty fun offseason question. Are you going under the presumption that they never played before? If so, that pretty much disqualifies anyone from QB. I think Singler played a little but was not going to be a high level qb.

As for positions, I don't know if Smith could be an rb, without putting on at least 20 pounds. Adrian Peterson at only 6 ft 1 is 217 pounds. Smith is probably a couple inches taller, and is about 40 pounds lighter. Heck, someone like Deangelo hall at 5 ft 10, is about 200 pounds. Smith would probably be more of a safety in my opinion.

Agree on Elliot. Czyz could actually be a pretty nasty LB if he can get up to 250 lb. Don't know if he has the hands to be a TE but if he does, that'd be an ideal position as well.

Expanding this back a little farther, I think guys like Demarcus and JWill would've been really good football players. Obviously, Demarcus did have a successful high school career in California so you know he had it in him.
    Actually Kyle was a pretty darn good quarterback for South Medford. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I thought he garnered 3rd team State honors as a quarterback his Sophomore year. Memory is a little bit fuzzy on the exact details even though I live in Southern Oregon, but I do know that he was an excellent passer with good mobility. Still, Greg was rated much higher coming out of High School so I would give 1st String QB to Greg in a heartbeat. I am trying to recall what position Kyle played on defense. I want to say Outside Linebacker, but again the old memory just isn't cooperating tonight. Ed Singler, Kyle's dad was an excellent football player for Oregon in his day, so it's definitely in the genes. His brother E.J. was a very good football player these past few years for South Medford, also.

Quote Originally Posted by marinbobbyduhon View Post
    Actually Kyle was a pretty darn good quarterback for South Medford.
    According to his goduke.com bio,

Also played football and baseball at South Medford
    An all-state selection at quarterback in 2005
    Earned 2004 all-conference first team honors as a tight end and as a defensive back ... an all-conference third team selection at tight end and defensive back in 2003

Lance would be a DE. Muscular, aggressive and long arms to knock down passes and wrap QBs.

I've read a lot of unnecessary posts in needless threads over the last couple of years but this one takes the cake. Hopefully, my fellow Moderators take pity on me for pointing out the obvious and don't hand down an infraction...this thread is stupid!
    Bob Green

Bob, I think the thread is fine. It could potentially be a fun little offseason hypothetical. Or it could run out of steam soon. Regardless, I don't this thread is harmful to anything.

Sorry, Bob. I meant for this to be more fun than anything... the boards have been fairly dead lately and I like talking about things like this.

The truth is, the guys on the basketball team are great athletes and they had to make a decision (probably when they were 15 or younger) what sport to focus on. I feel like a lot of them could have chosen football, and maybe not have had the same success, but could have at least played. I don't think it's that ridiculous to think that some of them could at least walk-on to the team if they really wanted to. Czyz is already bigger than a lot of the guys I knew on the football team. I also think that Ty Lawson would have been a very good football player... too bad.

9. I'd go with:

Paulus - QB
    Nolan - CB or Safety. Fast, quick and good size for either.
    Elliot - WR.
    Czyz - Linebacker or DE.
    Zoubek - Lineman.
    Lance - DE or maybe WR.
    Singler - QB, TE
    Miles - TE
    Scheyer - Punter?
    Henderson - WR. Fast, physical and could outjump a lot of people. I'd have to think a lot of basketball players who play the wing with good size could be WRs if they are fast enough downfield. 6'4 or bigger is big for a WR.
    McClure - Middle LB.
    Pocius - DB or Kicker.
    Davidson - Middle linebacker
    Johnson - I'd use him on special teams with Miles to block kicks.

I've actually thought about this before albeit more in relation to the NBA. I tend to think a lot of wingmen that are really athletic but lack the skill to succeed in the NBA or being more than good college players maybe could have done better as WRs in the NFL. I guess the one big unknown is how fast they would be down the field but I'd a lot of bball players would be fast enough if they had committed to football. I'm thinking of someone like Gerald Green who has all the physical tools but has struggled to excel in the NBA. I wonder if he could have been a really good WR if he had went that route. Couldn't he at least be a guy to throw short yardage lobs into the endzone at 6'8 with a 40ish inch vertical?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I've read a lot of unnecessary posts in needless threads over the last couple of years but this one takes the cake. Hopefully, my fellow Moderators take pity on me for pointing out the obvious and don't hand down an infraction...this thread is stupid!
    Stupid? Or silly? Silly can actually be fun.

As for it being an unnecessary post, in the grand scheme of life, the entirity of DBR is unnecessary. Fun, but unnecessary, just like this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    You know, theres a point in time when you cant talk about duke basketball 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Stupid? Or silly? Silly can actually be fun.

As for it being an unnecessary post, in the grand scheme of life, the entirity of DBR is unnecessary. Fun, but unnecessary, just like this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    You know, theres a point in time when you cant talk about duke basketball 24/7
    You're absolutely correct. There are 168 hours in a week and I spend approximately 50 of those hours at work (54 last week). Throw in some television (a colossal waste of time), reading books, talking to my daughter and grandson on the phone, bowling in a league once a week, shooting pool while drinking beer at the corner bar, moderating a little; I just don't have time for the ubiquitous stupidity running rampant on most message boards. DBR used to be different. I come to the EK Forum to discuss basketball. It is fun. It relieves stress. Duke basketball is my passion.

However, I will concede to you both that this thread is harmless and I should just skip over it instead of adding to the noise with unnecessary comments. I appreciate the opportunity to interact with both you guys via DBR and I don't desire to be a party pooper so I'm moving on to the next thread.
    Bob Green