Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Blackberry Bold vs. iPhone 3G

This post is mainly for BillyBreen, but others feel free to chime in.

It's come time to replace my aging Samsung t809. It's...less than stellar now.

Originally, I had planned on getting a Blackberry Curve. It has a full keyboard, great email support, the usual Blackberry Features...

THEN, I heard that the Bold was coming out. That thing looks HOT. I decided to wait (my contract expired June 29). Of course, now it seems delayed, from July->August, but they haven't really firmed up any deadline so I'm guessing even that could be postponed.

So now, I'm considering the new iPhone...again. My original point against the iPhone is that I personally think there are two types of people in this world: keyboard people and touchscreen people. I've messed around with the iPhone in the apple store, and my fat fingers don't seem to be happy with it.

From a "well, what I'd use it for perspective", I think the iPhone might be better now. I've tried to use my friend's Blackberry's (the curve and the pearl) to find a restaurant or directions to where we're going, and both times I quit in frustration. Another time I tried to check my email, and that sucked too. Is the Bold going to be better at this?

Also, I like being able to install random software. At first I thought this was going to be a point in the Blackberry's Favor, but it looks like with the iPhone App Store, they might have the bigger developer platform.

Anyways, your guys' thoughts? I'm trying to look for a different angle I might have missed. I know the Bold hasn't come out, so it's hard to judge what it is actually going to have and what its not (I think Blackberry has done a terrible PR job on this phone), but any of your thoughts would be appreciated. I just wanted a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
    So now, I'm considering the new iPhone...again. My original point against the iPhone is that I personally think there are two types of people in this world: keyboard people and touchscreen people. I've messed around with the iPhone in the apple store, and my fat fingers don't seem to be happy with it.
    *Disclaimer: I admit that I don't have extensive knowledge of Blackberry products, and that I am definitely biased towards Apple Products.

Go iPhone. It sounds like you're already leaning towards the iPhone but one of your hang-ups is adjusting to the touch screen. Thankfully the good folks at thinkgeek.com are selling the Pogo iPhone Stylus. Perhaps that could serve as a crutch while you adjust? Let us know what you decide on.

If you can do work email through the iPhone, it's a no brainer. If you can't, you'll have to suffer with a blackberry like I do.

Cavlaw, can you describe your blackberry "suffering"?

The new blackberries are supposed to have all new software, so things like the browser experience, etc. should be improved.

The bold just got FCC approval so it looks like I might not have to wait much longer.

Does anyone know how the monthly cost of a Blackberry compares to that of the IPhone? I know that there's all sorts of hubub about the IPhone costing more than its predecessor when all costs/fees are thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Does anyone know how the monthly cost of a Blackberry compares to that of the IPhone? I know that there's all sorts of hubub about the IPhone costing more than its predecessor when all costs/fees are thrown in.
    The iPhone data package increases from $20 (with text) to $30 (without text) for the 3G iPhone. Most work Blackberry data packages are $50, although the data package may go down to $40 or so for non-enterprise packages.

I don't know what an enterprise package for the iPhone would look like, but one difference is that the iPhone is a 2-year commitment and I think that Blackberrys are only one year, or even none (I don't have one for mine).

I'm interested in switching the to iPhone from my Curve when I know that I can use it for work. In the meantime, I don't really want to have 2 phones.

Unless you are a hardcore road warrior work e-mailer who has trained yourself to type 80 words per minute on a Blackberry, I think the choice is easy -- the iPhone is a clear win. The web browser experience is vastly better on the iPhone, and the updates planned for the Blackberry don't appear to change that materially.

I've been offline for the past few hours just playing with all of the cool native apps available for the iPhone now (the 2.0 firmware isn't exactly released yet, but it's available if you know where to look). It's great stuff. I expect the iPhone to have the much larger and more vibrant development community of the two.

As for typing, it takes a bit of getting used to, but the key is to trust the software. Don't pay attention to what letters you are typing -- as long as you are close, the software will autocorrect to what you intended once you hit spacebar.

From a "well, what I'd use it for perspective", I think the iPhone might be better now. I've tried to use my friend's Blackberry's (the curve and the pearl) to find a restaurant or directions to where we're going, and both times I quit in frustration. Another time I tried to check my email, and that sucked too. Is the Bold going to be better at this?

Also, I like being able to install random software. At first I thought this was going to be a point in the Blackberry's Favor, but it looks like with the iPhone App Store, they might have the bigger developer platform.

Anyways, your guys' thoughts? I'm trying to look for a different angle I might have missed. I know the Bold hasn't come out, so it's hard to judge what it is actually going to have and what its not (I think Blackberry has done a terrible PR job on this phone), but any of your thoughts would be appreciated. I just wanted a different perspective.
    Umm, there's a third option, with Windows Mobile phones --

HTC Touch Pro: http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=49518
    Samsung Omnia: http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handhel...574746p,00.htm
    Sony Experia: http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/?lc=en&cc=US

Just to name three of the sexier ones coming to (or already on) the market.

For software to install, WM has been around a LOT longer, so there are TONS of little apps to find, try, and even buy. WL Search on mobile is great with GPS.

Sorry, I'm totally anti-windows everything. I think the only company I dislike more is Sony!!

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Unless you are a hardcore road warrior work e-mailer who has trained yourself to type 80 words per minute on a Blackberry, I think the choice is easy -- the iPhone is a clear win. The web browser experience is vastly better on the iPhone, and the updates planned for the Blackberry don't appear to change that materially.

I've been offline for the past few hours just playing with all of the cool native apps available for the iPhone now (the 2.0 firmware isn't exactly released yet, but it's available if you know where to look). It's great stuff. I expect the iPhone to have the much larger and more vibrant development community of the two.

As for typing, it takes a bit of getting used to, but the key is to trust the software. Don't pay attention to what letters you are typing -- as long as you are close, the software will autocorrect to what you intended once you hit spacebar.
    2.0 question: on the new iPhones, is the iChat application going to stay online all the time? or is it like FlickIM now, where it logs you off the moment you try to do something else?

I'm still not sure the choice is clear- the bold is going to have stereo bluetooth and a videocamera...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Umm, there's a third option, with Windows Mobile phones
    True. I would argue that the browser experience on current versions of Windows Mobile is inferior to the iPhone, and I think the mobile usage statistics bear this out (as of last December, after just a few months of availability, there were more mobile browser page views from the iPhone than all Windows Mobile devices combined). If you are interested in using real sites in a competent mobile browser, the iPhone is currently the only game in town. Windows Mobile 7 is set to be released in late 2009 and will have a revamped browser (and probably multi-touch and some other iPhone-like features). Mobile web may not be that important to every user, so way that against your own needs.

The Blackberry Bold looks like a step up in the browser department, but from what I've seen it still isn't comparable. All previous Blackberry browsers have been _atrocious_, so the Bold would need to be a quantum leap to be comparable to the iPhone.

2.0 question: on the new iPhones, is the iChat application going to stay online all the time? or is it like FlickIM now, where it logs you off the moment you try to do something else?
    I just pulled down the AIM app and haven't had a chance to play with it much. At first blush, it appears that it does not keep listening for new messages if you are not using the chat app, but reopening the chat app displays any new messages received while the app was in the background. I'm guessing that means it's somewhere in the middle -- it doesn't log you off, but it doesn't give you push notifications of new messages. I expect this to change in the very near term as Apple added to the SDK last month functionality to keep an event stream open for all applications, even those running in the background. I'm guessing they were trying to get this version ready for release and didn't add support for the new communication mechanism yet.

I'm still not sure the choice is clear- the bold is going to have stereo bluetooth and a videocamera...
    Yeah, take everything I say with the caveat that 1) I tend to love Apple products and 2) I live on the web as both vocation and avocation, so the iPhone's strength there is really important to me. The iPhone hardware is less ambitious in certain areas, but what it does, it does really well. I can live with that.

For me, it'll primarily be email (work is making me) & text (& maybe some chat & internet), which is why I was leaning toward a Blackberry. Plus I have nails, so I have difficulties w/ the iPhone (though that stylus could seriously help).

I'll wait for the Bold to come out then I'll go play with all the toys and see what I like best (and where they fall pricewise).

Having physical keys is nice. Blackberries can run most Java apps, including a suite of secure remote access tools. And coverage still counts.

The real difference is in security. The Blackberry in a corporate environment is impossible to beat at this point if security is a serious consideration. There's a reason BBs are the corp and fed standard.

Discounting security, it really comes down to personal preference. Go play with 'em. Use the trial periods, but remember: just through familiarity, the first one you get will seem better when you try the other. Start with the one you think will be in second place.

Still, it's hard to beat the internet browser on the iPhone.

-jk

The whole directions/email thing shouldnt be an issue anymore as you can download google maps/or gmail apps onto the blackberry. The browser experience is definitely way better on the iPhone, no doubt.

Umm, there's a third option, with Windows Mobile phones --
    I cant imagine who you work for
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 07-10-2008 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    True. I would argue that the browser experience on current versions of Windows Mobile is inferior to the iPhone, and I think the mobile usage statistics bear this out (as of last December, after just a few months of availability, there were more mobile browser page views from the iPhone than all Windows Mobile devices combined). If you are interested in using real sites in a competent mobile browser, the iPhone is currently the only game in town. Windows Mobile 7 is set to be released in late 2009 and will have a revamped browser (and probably multi-touch and some other iPhone-like features). Mobile web may not be that important to every user, so way that against your own needs.
    Yeah, IE for Mobile suxxors hardcore - it crashes my phone whenever I try to enter an address via the address bar (my favorites list is ginormous.) That said, since I mostly use my phone for mail, calendar and contacts, activesync ensures I don't really use my browser all that much. Opera Mini (or is it Opera Mobile? they're two different products) is an acceptable replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I cant imagine who you work for
    True, but if you do a feature by feature comparison, (check out CNET head-to-head reviews for a pretty unbiased source) WM phones usually come out ahead. Unless you're an iTunes junky and your iPod just broke, of course.

I went from a blackberry to an iphone and now i'm an apple junkie. The biggest drawback to the iphone for me is the lack of MMS messaging and inability to touch type. I outweighed these cons with the google maps feature and the superior browser experience. With the onset of the SDK, I think Apple is fast closing the gap from a software feature standpoint with the WinMo phones although they still have a few hardware advancements they need to make.

Has anyone tried out the Jott application? http://jott.com/jotters/index.php/iphone

It's a free app I can't wait to try.

Yeah, IE for Mobile suxxors hardcore - it crashes my phone whenever I try to enter an address via the address bar (my favorites list is ginormous.) That said, since I mostly use my phone for mail, calendar and contacts, activesync ensures I don't really use my browser all that much. Opera Mini (or is it Opera Mobile? they're two different products) is an acceptable replacement.
    Just started playing with Active Sync for the iPhone since I got the software update last night. It is fantastic! Setup was a piece of cake, and now I have push mail and Exchange Calendar / Contacts. Only downside is I no longer have plausible deniability re: slow responses to work e-mail.

2 iPhones...

Anyone know how much a plan would cost for two iPhones? My fiance and I are looking into getting them. We would need unlimited texts, email, and internet. Not sure about how many anytime minutes (maybe around 1000ish). I THINK you can buy a shared/family voice plan but then have to buy two separate data plans, right? Or can you get any kind of package/savings when purchasing two data plans? How much are the data plans? Thanks in advance.