Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Isiah Thomas To Florida International

FIU? Really?

Link

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    FIU? Really?

Link
    Does he need money or something? Has he blown through the hundred million or so he must have earned in his playing and coaching career? Why would he take a middling job like this? This is really embarrassing. I am guessing that he moves his family around every time he takes a new job.

Dude is kinda sad and pathetic at this point.

--Jason "I'd think he could get a better job than this one in the college ranks" Evans

RMK has to be beyond disappointed in Isaiah. He always said it was far more important to him that his kids became good men versus good basketball players and Isaiah, arguably his most well known player during his tenure at IU, has just blown everything over the past3 or so years.

I loved Isiah as a broadcaster for NBC in the 1990s, when he teamed with Bob Costas and, at times, Magic Johnson.

He never should have left the business. He was damn good.

More

The Clippers? That franchise doesn't have enough problems already? (That blurb is toward the end of the article.)

His kids are all going to college at this point, based on articles I've read. Shouldn't be that much of an issue to move at this point. And his kids also weren't that big into sports and are by all accounts upstanding citizens so at least in terms of how he raised his kids, he seems to have done fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    RMK has to be beyond disappointed in Isaiah. He always said it was far more important to him that his kids became good men versus good basketball players and Isaiah, arguably his most well known player during his tenure at IU, has just blown everything over the past3 or so years.
    Well, RMK certainly got fired himself, so maybe the apple doesn't fall that far from the tree.

Isiah accepts

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4066948

I wonder if he will got he way of Coach Doh at FAU

who would want him?

Let's see, the guy single-handedly destroyed the CBA and then did the same for the Knicks. Why would a school want him? What recruit is going to want to play for him?

The guy is still a Hall of Fame ball player and one of the greatest point guards ever. I'd definitely rather play for him than Doh.

Phone call

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Let's see, the guy single-handedly destroyed the CBA and then did the same for the Knicks. Why would a school want him? What recruit is going to want to play for him?
    When is the first phone call to John Wall going to take place?

hope they have a ton of "EMPLOYEE POOR IMPULSE CONTROL" insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    hope they have a ton of "EMPLOYEE POOR IMPULSE CONTROL" insurance...
    Well, this certainly hits the nail on the head. I think it is clear where the risk is in this deal.

That's about it...

Quote Originally Posted by MJS4Duke11 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4066948

I wonder if he will go the way of Coach Doh at FAU
    Isaiah has obviously fallen pretty far to take this job, but it does offer the promise of something better down the line. While the press has focused on FIU’s poor record, they have missed an important point: former coach Sergio Rouco recruited some quality players, only to see most of them get injured this year. IIRC, they began the year with three or four starters hurt, so Isaiah will have the opportunity to win some games with some inherited talent, and then move elsewhere.

To get some idea of the kind of players that he will have, you just have to see their former schools or where they signed: Fredy Asprilla (13.7 PPG, originally committed to Miami), J. C. Otero (out most of the year, originally committed to BYU), and Josue Soto (10.4 PPG, transferred from FSU). They also have Michael Dominguez (10.1 PPG), a JC transfer, and Nicola Gacesa (10.0 PPG), a pretty good Serbian player. So basically Isaiah comes in with his starting five intact, and with a few decent reserves, so there’s no reason that he can’t do well in a third-tier league and then take credit for the team’s remarkable turnaround. And then he’ll pull a Doh!, but if he isn’t accused of sexual harassment or if he doesn’t try to commit suicide again, both sides will probably get what they want. After all, this would never have happened if the coach and the school weren’t both desperate.

Lightbulb A vain and lazy destroyer of programs...

Read today's article for a Thomas fisking!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Best---Blueprof

Good for both parties

While I definitly don't think too highly of Thomas, I do think this makes sense for them both. Stick with me here...

For FIU, they get a household name. Regardless of his past results, some people will still remember that great player that he was, and will be attracted by that. He'll be able to pull in some good players that wouldn't otherwise look at FIU. And he can coach a little bit, as evidenced by that one season in Indiana.

For him, it allows him a shot at redemption. Most people know him as a crack pot who ruined the Knicks, but if he can even remotely turn around the program at FIU, he'll be a hero. It'll be a great story about a fallen coach giving a program and some unknown players a chance at glory. I'd sure read that story.

I think when it's all said and done, FIU will be a better program post Thomas.

Smile No Such Thing as Bad Publicity

Quote Originally Posted by huied View Post
    While I definitly don't think too highly of Thomas, I do think this makes sense for them both. Stick with me here...

For FIU, they get a household name. Regardless of his past results, some people will still remember that great player that he was, and will be attracted by that. He'll be able to pull in some good players that wouldn't otherwise look at FIU. And he can coach a little bit, as evidenced by that one season in Indiana.

For him, it allows him a shot at redemption. Most people know him as a crack pot who ruined the Knicks, but if he can even remotely turn around the program at FIU, he'll be a hero.

This falls under the heading of "there is no such thing as bad publicity" for a largely unknown university seeking to build a program in a major city that cares only about pro sports and the U. It strikes me as a good gamble. First of all, it will generate a huge amount of ink about Isiah's goings-on positive and negative. That will sell tickets, as will the curiosity factor. Moreover, isn't Isiah the only real NBA stat coaching in college? That should help with recruitment.

Of course, the other factor that will generate interest and TV coverage is the time-bomb nature of this... tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick....

My only question is whether the ticks are days, weeks, months, or years before all this blows up.

sagegrouse

First Impressions

Well, I have to admit that Isiah knows how to create positive first impressions. It turns out that he will work the first year free, and that he has even talked to Coach Knight and Coach K about how to build a solid program.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/co...y/1000990.html

Of course the reason that he can work for free is that the Knicks still owe him $12 million, but it's still a good gesture.

Um, according to the university president, he's not the new coach. Some guy named Isiah Thompson is. Sorry, never heard of him.

More Isaiah

Michelle Kaufman, a Miami Herald reporter who has known him for 20 years, had an interesting article this morning:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/co...y/1001589.html