Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Coach K Pushing Collins For Xavier Job?

Its mentioned by a respected poster on their site.

Would Coach K push one of his assistants for a HC job?

I'm not sure he did so with Dawkins, but in Collins' case he is more then ready to lead a program.

That's a mighty big step IMHO.

It's not that much more of a jump, maybe even less, then it was for Johnny Dawkins to Stanford, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    It's not that much more of a jump, maybe even less, then it was for Johnny Dawkins to Stanford, is it?
    Stanford is a much bigger job on a larger stage, but its not better due to their high academic standards of clearing athletes.

Dawkins needs to hit the recruiting trail harder after looking at his recruiting classes, but maybe thats the best he can bring in there.

Xavier looks like a great job, he has a Top 10 team possibly returning next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    That's a mighty big step IMHO.
    Collins was Duke class of 1996, actually a year ahead of Jeff Capel. In addition to his time at Duke, he worked at Seton Hall for two years, and has been around basketball for all his live with father Doug.

Seems to me like he may be ready for such a job, esp. if Coach K is recommending him.

Exciting stuff! Would Nate take his place?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Collins was Duke class of 1996, actually a year ahead of Jeff Capel. In addition to his time at Duke, he worked at Seton Hall for two years, and has been around basketball for all his live with father Doug.

Seems to me like he may be ready for such a job, esp. if Coach K is recommending him.
    What you say is true, however Jeff did cut his teeth at VCU.

I'm not sure that jumping straight into the pressure cooker of a possible top 10 program like Xavier would be a good career move.

Smile Nate

Quote Originally Posted by dermite View Post
    Nate is already a full-fledged asistant coach. I think the title Assistant Head Coach which Chris and Wojo have is a measure of experience and skill, not a true slot.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by dermite View Post
    Did you mean Chris Carawell?

Yep, mea culpa. Guess I was excited about seeing the coaching tree expand, it would be great for Chris (both of them!).

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I think this would be a good opportunity for Chris. I hope he gets the job. I think he is ready and it would be a good fit. Chris for sure knows the ropes having grown up amongst NBA'ers and then mentored by his dad and Coach K. I think he would do well. Will be interesting to see if it happens.

Good move on everybodies part if it's true. I would elevate Nate. What he showed in his work with Elliott is terrific.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Did you mean Chris Carawell?
    Who would fill in Carawell's spot? How long until we see Paulus in some capacity in the program, like Carawell is now? I would hope that Greg goes off and plays overseas for a few years and gets some exciting experiences under his belt. I think Greg will be back on the bench some day, just not this early. So who else is there?
    And I hope it's true about Collins, he'll be fun to keep tabs on.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Who would fill in Carawell's spot? How long until we see Paulus in some capacity in the program, like Carawell is now? I would hope that Greg goes off and plays overseas for a few years and gets some exciting experiences under his belt. I think Greg will be back on the bench some day, just not this early. So who else is there?
    And I hope it's true about Collins, he'll be fun to keep tabs on.
    The only name that comes to mind is J-Will. He has said he would want to coach but I'm not sure it would happen.

Jason would be a fantastic person to have sitting on the Duke bench. His on-court gifts could definitely be put to good use in the training of young Duke points. And because Jason was probably the best college guard the NCAA has seen over the past decade, it would, in my eyes, be a wonderful asset to have him in Duke Blue. What young player, in his most important stage of basketball development, wouldn't want to have Jason Williams at his side?

Also, does anyone here actually think this Collins to Xavier talk has any legs? This is very interesting. If Coach K is really backing this jump, perhaps he is adamant about Collins getting that experience outside of Durham before ... Collins takes over at Duke.

Just a thought. I have always wanted Chris to be the man that took over the reigns in Durham once Coach K retired, so maybe this is the beginning stages of that. Obviously he still has to prove himself. I love Johnny, but give me a coach with Chris' blue-blood passion and charismatic and unbridled energy any day of the week. That type of coach is who I want standing on our sidelines. (I am not saying that Johnny doesn't have a passion for Duke or that he wouldn't be a great choice. I just happen to be a Collins person.)

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think the title Assistant Head Coach which Chris and Wojo have is a measure of experience and skill, not a true slot.

sagegrouse
    Quick fact check: Chris and Wojo actually go by the title Associate Head Coach, which is the title Johnny Dawkins had for his last several years, while Wojo and Chris had the title of Assistant Coach. After Johnny's departure they were promoted to Associate Head Coach almost immediately, and shortly thereafter Nate joined as an Assistant Coach.

Wojo and Chris joined the Duke bench in 1999 and 2000, respectively.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22725

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Wojo and Chris joined the Duke bench in 1999 and 2000, respectively.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22725
    Thanks for bringing up the timeline. Since Collins came in second, do you think K might be responding (if true) to a personal request from Chris for support? I'm positive K would give either his backing if asked, so it's interesting as far as seniority goes, since Wojo has more experience (on K's bench) that Collins would get the nod.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Any chance Roshawn Mcleod joins the staff?

I remember hearing he was interested in coaching.

Roshown is now at Indiana University coaching, I believe, so I am sure it is possible that he'd be interested in Duke.

If Collins does leave, though, I still think an offer to Jason Williams would come first. Jason loves Duke, comes around often, and is almost always there throughout Coach K's summer camp working with not only campers but also Duke's players.

But first Chris would have to leave, and, as of now, no one here has been able to provide anything reliable indicating that Chris is interested in Xavier.
    Last edited by Cameron; 04-11-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Any chance Roshawn Mcleod joins the staff?

I remember hearing he was interested in coaching.
    Roshown McLeod (note correct spelling) is currently an assistant at IU to Tom Crean and has held that job for only a year. Given that, it is doubtful he would move on so quickly; no doubt he wants to be part of the rebuild there. He does some of Crean's recruiting. He was an assistant at Fairfield for a couple of years before going into high school coaching, teaching and AAU coaching. The IU job is a step he needs to take if he wants to be a college head coach.