Orton to Decommitt from UK...

Heard this rumor from a UK fan. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    Heard this rumor from a UK fan. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?
    I don't think it's official yet.
    "Daniel Orton, Rivals.com’s No. 22 player and a Kentucky-Gillispie recruit, is allegedly considering asking Kentucky for a release and signing with the Jayhawks. Orton is a 6-10 post player."

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

Louisville paper's blog more or less confirms it. Message boards over here aren't quite so convinced, however.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    That is an interesting development between two teams with a legitimate shot at the national title next year if some pieces fall into place. Orton's agent, I mean handler, must be busy.

It's crazy how much one coach taking one job has influenced the entire recruiting game this year. Dozens of players and dozens of teams are somehow being influenced by Calipari-to-UK.

Orton is a good kid and will be a loss for UK even if Cousins makes it to campus. He will fit in anywhere.

I was impressed with him in this video interview...

http://newsok.com/search/?search_wha...llege+recruits

far right, should be a video link to college recruits

Quote Originally Posted by billybean View Post
    Orton is a good kid and will be a loss for UK even if Cousins makes it to campus. He will fit in anywhere.

I was impressed with him in this video interview...

http://newsok.com/search/?search_wha...llege+recruits

far right, should be a video link to college recruits
    It's too bad we were never in the running for him. He looks like the strong post presence we need.

not so fast...

http://kentucky.scout.com/a.z?s=48&p...%2f854817.html

Today: “Daniel has not asked for his release. If it comes to that, I will be the one asking,” Larry Orton told KSR's Larry Vaught. “There’s no need to ask for a release until we decide if we need one.”

If Patterson stays and Cousins comes, Orton won't see the court much. Doesn't bother Cal in the least. Orton leaves, that opens up another scholly. Orton leaving is probably an indication that Patterson is staying.

Cal also cut his starting point guard loose, as well as two point guard recruits.

Think Cal expects Wall or Bledsoe to show up?

How is Cal doing on his scholly number? He was 1 or 2 over, is bringing in Cousins, and has cleared three spots that had belonged to point guards. Has he cleared more room?

It's hard to believe he'd consider Kansas, although he apparently liked Self and Manning. Orton has indicated all the way along that he wants playing time right away.

Although there are rumors of a transfer or two and speculation about Morningstar taking a year off scholarship to make scholarship numbers work, currently, if everyone returns, Kansas is already oversigned by one. And Kansas covets a legit wing to assemble a legit title threat (either Xavier Henry or Lance Stephenson).

So, first, Orton would need to find a scholarship. And then he'd need to want to deal with Aldrich, Jeff Withey (Arizona transfer who will be a freshman eligible in December), Thomas Robinson (top 30 recruit), the Morris twins (6'8" and 6'9" who were rotation regulars) and a couple others. It just seems unlikely that KU would take him unless Aldrich leaves. And all indications to date (yeah, yeah, I know) are that both Collins and Aldrich will be back.