Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Masters

2009 Masters

I don't know about anybody else, but the biggest golf tournament of the year starts tomorrow and I am pumped.

If I had to bet on it, Tiger will win this tournament.

He is coming off his BEST sunday perfomance ever just two weeks ago.

should be fun

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    I don't know about anybody else, but the biggest golf tournament of the year starts tomorrow and I am pumped.

If I had to bet on it, Tiger will win this tournament.

He is coming off his BEST sunday perfomance ever just two weeks ago.

should be fun
    No offense but is betting for the world's best golfer a real bet?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    No offense but is betting for the world's best golfer a real bet?
    I think the typical bet these days is Tiger or the field ... not Tiger or Phil or Vijay.

So betting on Tiger is pretty bold, at least in my books. That said, I would probably bet on Tiger as well - his putting was back last week, which spells trouble for the rest of the field.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I think the typical bet these days is Tiger or the field ... not Tiger or Phil or Vijay.

So betting on Tiger is pretty bold, at least in my books. That said, I would probably bet on Tiger as well - his putting was back last week, which spells trouble for the rest of the field.
    I would never bet one guy versus the field.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I would never bet one guy versus the field.
    Then chances are you would lose your bet. I don't bet on sports at all. Period. Not open to discussion. But I think Tiger will win in a walk.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

As long as it's not Phil or Vijay, I'll be fine. Those are my two least favorite golfers ever.

I'm a huge Tiger guy. I've never understood why some folks seem so against him. He's even rarer than a one-in-a-lifetime player, and we're lucky enough to witness his entire run. I hope he wins every time out.

The guy clearly has ludicrous talent, but he's great because of pure guts. For me, perhaps his most memorable moment was a loss – the 2002 PGA Championship, when he told Steve Williams during the round that he had to birdie the last four holes to win. Then he went out and did it. It wasn't enough, but geez, it's just incredible what the guy wills himself to do.

I'm so stupid!

I just made plans to go to Easter dinner at a friend's house at 4:30pm. They are not golf fans. What was I thinking?!

I root for Tiger just because I want to see the next incredible thing he does to win. I don't mind Phil. He reminds me of the way I played tennis, brilliant one time, has a total brain freeze the next. Vijay and Sergio are my least favorite golfers at the moment. Otherwise, I don't really care who wins. I just want a good, exciting finish coming up 18.

I, Like wolfpackdevil, am pumped and ready for The Master,, I am every year.

I am a huge Tiger fan. But like most golfers, we don't root against others, we like to see the creamer( pun, Paula ) rise to the top.

I realize many or most of you have some type cable system,, but for those of you with DIRECT TV, don't forget

Channel 701 Masters MIX ( shows the 4 little boxes of channels 702-705 )
    Channel 702 Masters Network Coverage ( same as ESPN/CBS )
    Channel 703 Masters Amen Corner Coverage ( Covers Holes 11,12,13 )
    Channel 704 Masters Holes 15, 16
    Channel 705 Masters In Depth

All these channels are in HD and if you love golf and or The Masters, is worth the price of Direct TV.

Don't look now, but the shark is lurking at 2 under coming up on the turn. How awesome of a story would it be if he were in contention Sunday afternoon?

Some guy I've never even heard of, Fisher, who has never played at Augusta is currently leading at -5 through 16. Who'd a thunk it?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Chad Campbell leading at -9 thru 15; next is Furyk already in the barn at -6. Fisher (whoever he is) woke up, fell back and finished at -3, and the old Shark is in at -2.

The annual story line I usually enjoy is the old veteran who comes out of nowhere in the early rounds. This year's edition is former champion Larry Mize at -5. He must have gotten fed up with the publicity over Norman's return to Augusta and decided to chip in (ouch) with some noise of his own...

Oh yeah, Tiger is even through 10. Figure on birds at 13 and 15, and probably one more somewhere else along the way. Most likely he'll be around -3, which is just fine for Thursday's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Chad Campbell leading at -9 thru 15; next is Furyk already in the barn at -6. Fisher (whoever he is) woke up, fell back and finished at -3, and the old Shark is in at -2.

The annual story line I usually enjoy is the old veteran who comes out of nowhere in the early rounds. This year's edition is former champion Larry Mize at -5. He must have gotten fed up with the publicity over Norman's return to Augusta and decided to chip in (ouch) with some noise of his own...

Oh yeah, Tiger is even through 10. Figure on birds at 13 and 15, and probably one more somewhere else along the way. Most likely he'll be around -3, which is just fine for Thursday's work.
    Tiger just missed birdie putts at 11 and 12, and if I were a betting man, and you know I'm not, I'd bet that Tiger beats Campbell this week, and wins the tourney.

Campbell bogeyed 17 to fall back to -8. He's on 18 in two.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Then chances are you would lose your bet. I don't bet on sports at all. Period. Not open to discussion. But I think Tiger will win in a walk.
    This is an absurd statement.

Tiger Woods has played in 14 Masters. He has won 4 times. That's great, but it's an awful rate if you're betting one guy vs the field. Even if you look at recently, his only recent win is 2005. I can do this with other majors too.

It is exactly this kind of mindless celebrity idolatry in which Tiger is treated like Paris Hilton or Hannah Montana that is ruining the game. This game and this wonderful tournament are bigger than Tiger Woods. It's a shame that the Tigerbots can't understand that.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

Tiger Woods has played in 14 Masters. He has won 4 times. That's great, but it's an awful rate if you're betting one guy vs the field. Even if you look at recently, his only recent win is 2005. I can do this with other majors too.

It is exactly this kind of mindless celebrity idolatry in which Tiger is treated like Paris Hilton or Hannah Montana that is ruining the game. This game and this wonderful tournament are bigger than Tiger Woods. It's a shame that the Tigerbots can't understand that.
    I, sir, disagree with what you say. I don't idolize Tiger. I am in awe of his talent and results. He is, by far, the best golfer ever. Better than Nicklaus, better than Hogan or Nelson. Today's players are far better than the "next tier and also rans" of years and eras gone by, and no one comes close to Tiger.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Obviously, I win the bet after day 1. Three more rounds to go.
    ~rthomas

Against the field and I'd say almost anyone is a bad pick.. With that said, Tiger is different. I haven't checked the stats personally, but they were saying on ESPN, that in his career he's winning at a 27% clip against the field,, and since '97 he's winning at a 40% clip against the field.. FOURTY PERCENT,, against the field,, UN REAL.. I'm sure he's probably close to that in majors against the field since '97..
    Tiger = Paris Hilton. paaaaleeeze lol. Tiger makes all those around him get better.
    Tiger has it between the ears. He's just tougher mentally,, and putt ? OMG, the man is so much better than others in the clutch it's not even funny.

When you have to have someone MAKE a SHOT, MAKE a PUTT, coming down the home stretch,, you want Tiger ? or player xyz from the field..?? yeah, me too,, Tiger.

But compared to everyone else in his sport - that rate is superb, especially once one factors in the difficulty.

I wouldn't say it's mindless celebrity idolatry. There are a LOT of folks we would have no idea who they were if we weren't first interested in Tiger. A lot of made their names simply by winning WHEN Tiger is in the field. And of course, Tiger made OTHER golfers celebritys. Goosen, Garcia, and that whole tier of players get attention they wouldn't get if there were no Tiger.

And golf knows it too, he's forever changed the sport and left an indelible print on it.

Actually, if you are betting one guy against the field, chances are you are getting odds, and if you had bet Tiger each time, I would venture you are probably up.

Like Ozzie, I disagree with the rest of your statement as well. Tiger has earned his fans by performing at remarkable levels. I also think "mindless celebrity idolatry" is just glitzy temr, that really is not applicable to Tiger. I know I, and I am sure most people (since Tiger is very private about his off the course life), really don't care what he does when he isn't on the golf course. I think its great that he has his charity and is involved in other charitable actions, but I really dont care all that much. There is nothing mindless about my Tiger fandom. He has more than half the field beat just by signing up for a tournament.

I assure you, also, that if you ask the golfers on tour, more often than not they appreciate that Tiger has brought more attention and money to them. He single handedly brought golf mainstream - and those who argue against his positive impact tend to sound like the pre-Tiger golf stereotype, i.e. stuck up and out of touch (imo of course).
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Actually, if you are betting one guy against the field, chances are you are getting odds, and if you had bet Tiger each time, I would venture you are probably up.

Like Ozzie, I disagree with the rest of your statement as well. Tiger has earned his fans by performing at remarkable levels. I also think "mindless celebrity idolatry" is just glitzy temr, that really is not applicable to Tiger. I know I, and I am sure most people (since Tiger is very private about his off the course life), really don't care what he does when he isn't on the golf course. I think its great that he has his charity and is involved in other charitable actions, but I really dont care all that much. There is nothing mindless about my Tiger fandom. He has more than half the field beat just by signing up for a tournament.

I assure you, also, that if you ask the golfers on tour, more often than not they appreciate that Tiger has brought more attention and money to them. He single handedly brought golf mainstream - and those who argue against his positive impact tend to sound like the pre-Tiger golf stereotype, i.e. stuck up and out of touch (imo of course).
    I have no quibble with your description of Tiger's impact on golf.

But, indeed, Tiger has more "mindless celebrity idolitry" than anyone else on the planet. Many who have jumped on board the "Tiger Cannonball" couldn't tell you the difference between a wedge and a wedgie! They just want to be a part of the wave.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I have no quibble with your description of Tiger's impact on golf.

But, indeed, Tiger has more "mindless celebrity idolitry" than anyone else on the planet. Many who have jumped on board the "Tiger Cannonball" couldn't tell you the difference between a wedge and a wedgie! They just want to be a part of the wave.
    Kinda like Duke basketball fans who don't know the difference between a motion offense and the Princeton offense right?

Nike didn't even have golf equipment before Tiger - but you gotta start somewhere right?

I learned the game of golf more traditionally (through my boss when I entered the workforce) but Tiger made me a whole lot more comfortable out there. He gave me a look and a style that were comfortable for me on the course. Through watching him I saw how to respect a golf course and last but not least he established a standard that my generation adores - "we don't care how old or decorated you are - I'm gonna bust your tail..."

Oh yeah - and I REALLY like the color red.

Fandom's lol can also come in many ways.. I was an Arnie fan, and part of his Army on a couple of occassions.. the KING.. but then came Jack, ( yeah, if you were an Arnie fan,, it was FAT JACK back then ) Jack was stealing our hero's thunder.. So when Tom Watson comes along, many Arnie fans became Tom fans.. he was stealing Jacks thunder.. and so on.
    I have learned to love Jack, and appreciate all he has done. I wish when Jack was dominating, I had appreciated what he was doing more. I saw all those wins in Majors, and even the huge number of 2nd places, but untill Tiger came along,, I didn't appreciate them as much. Now I appreciate Jack so much more, and am loving watching Tiger be so dominate.