Thread: Opening Day!!

Opening Day!!

What MLB opening day rituals or traditions do you have? When I was a little gobbler, one could earn major bragging rights to skip school to attend the home opener, which was always an afternoon game. Both teachers and parents would threaten dire consequences to those who went to the game, which of course made it even more tempting. Since I was a timid soul lacking intestinal fortitude, my civil disobedience was limited to sneaking a little radio into school and passing along game updates to my classmates any way I could. (yes, in those days, there was no Interweb or cable TV, but there was electricity and telephone service...)

I'm watching the Dodgers at the Padres with Vin Scully announcing...

I've spent the day in front of the TV just soaking up the fact that baseball is back. This winter has seemed extremely long for me and snow in the forecast today doesn't make it any shorter. All is right with my world when baseball is on TV again though.

Cubs win, Cubs win, Holy Cow! Thank goodnews baseball is back.

Have to "watch" on the computer at work, but I will definitely be at the Nats home opener next Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Have to "watch" on the computer at work, but I will definitely be at the Nats home opener next Monday.
    I wish I could be there. Although, I didn't here good things about them playing the Marlins so I think we're in for another long year.

Opening day in Philly:

1. Have elaborate pre-game ceremony for first World Series win in 25 yrs. (Fans cheer wildly).
    2. Twenty minutes later, Phils fall behind 4-0 as Brett Myers serves up nice plates of taters to three different Braves. (Fans boo heartily).

This is a new tradition - they actually waited 20 mins this year. I guess the World Series honeymoon is over. Welcome to Philadephia...

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Opening day in Philly:

1. Have elaborate pre-game ceremony for first World Series win in 25 yrs. (Fans cheer wildly).
    2. Twenty minutes later, Phils fall behind 4-0 as Brett Myers serves up nice plates of taters to three different Braves. (Fans boo heartily).

This is a new tradition - they actually waited 20 mins this year. I guess the World Series honeymoon is over. Welcome to Philadephia...
    Unfortunately, the Nats are off to a less than stellar start in FL with the home opener next Monday. Even more unfortunately, we play the Phillies whose obnoxious fans (Turk excepted, of course) will pack the stadium. The Nats are stinking so bad already, I am less and less looking forward to the game. Not to mention, the weather is supposed to be wet and chilly, so we probably won't even tailgate. Okay, I'll stop now. (can you hear the smallest violin in the world)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Unfortunately, the Nats are off to a less than stellar start in FL with the home opener next Monday. Even more unfortunately, we play the Phillies whose obnoxious fans (Turk excepted, of course) will pack the stadium. The Nats are stinking so bad already, I am less and less looking forward to the game. Not to mention, the weather is supposed to be wet and chilly, so we probably won't even tailgate. Okay, I'll stop now. (can you hear the smallest violin in the world)
    When I'm at the game and the Nats are getting pounded, I just try to admire the new stadium...

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus09 View Post
    When I'm at the game and the Nats are getting pounded, I just try to admire the new stadium...
    I close my scorebook and start people watching.

Just saw that. Really awful. I have seen more and more people racing way above the speed limit through redlights in DC lately.