Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    If you're in Durham, you should be able to get High Speed Internet(aka DSL) from Verizon (in the former GTE area). No FiOS deployment there yet. I'm not trying to be a sales person, so please don't take this as a pitch.

There may be other providers as well, Earthlink for instance, that would serve your home too.
    Earthlink is one of the Internet cable choices through Time Warner in the Durham area and the Winston-Salem area.

My understanding is that they are going to honor the locked in contracts. The thing is -- hardly any of their customer base are on the locked in contracts. As soon as I move, I'm getting off of cable for good. I love Time Warner On Demand, but I pay way too much per month already for TV/Phone/Internet.

When does this all start?

i just priced out AT&T's U-Verse against my time warner package and it's looking bad for time warner...AT@T has a two year lock in on the internet price if you order before may 24th..

the download is fixed (although they say UP TO) at 18m and the upload is about triple the time warner snail at 1.5m

the diff in price is about $12/month more with AT&T, but that i am going to be getting ALL The movie channels and sports HD package..

couple of little gouges, they charge $7/month for each "box" in the house..

i think time warner had better re-think this thing...

I pay for about 400 channels I don't use w/ Time Warner Cable. The consumer will get what they want in the end. We already are getting our main basic cable channels for free. There is always a website hosted somewhere in the UK with free english premier league soccer on it live. Justin.tv offers a ton of stuff for free.

My best guess is that eventually Time Warner will be FORCED to offer us programing Ala Carte. All I need are about 20 Channels. 2 of those are HBO and Showtime which I already pay 10 a piece for.

I was just interviewing a guy the other day for a position at my day job and currently he is working with a local company that is creating a way to filter content to limit the bandwidth you use. There would be an interface to say no videos between this timeframe, no downloading of music, etc.

I didn't get why anyone would want this until I saw TWC's new ploy.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    My understanding is that they are going to honor the locked in contracts. The thing is -- hardly any of their customer base are on the locked in contracts. As soon as I move, I'm getting off of cable for good. I love Time Warner On Demand, but I pay way too much per month already for TV/Phone/Internet.

When does this all start?
    Here's some more info on why they chose your town. http://gigaom.com/2009/04/06/time-wa...austins-geeks/

I can't imagine having to worry if watching another show on Hulu will put me over my plan's GB cap.

Well, they appear to have noticed the customer "feedback", but aren't scrapping the plan entirely, just modifying the selections.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16292...idth_caps.html

It says if you run over the 100GB cap, you'll may an extra $1 per GB up to $150 max. So yeah, if I was ever forced onto this service, I'd be paying $150/mo. for internet. Nice. It might be cheaper to drive into the office and pay for gas and commute time than to work from home...

There stocks are already way down and they are looking for any kind of out. Like someone said before - not many customers are in contracts. There are so many options out there today - and with DVR you can always automatically record a series - expect this plan to backfire severely if put into effect. If I still owned any of the stock I would have sold it as soon as this plan was even released as an option.

well, it backfired for them. I pulled the plug on them yesterday. Ordered Uverse and canceled TW.

when i bundle my phone (which was already ATT) with interenet (faster up AND down ) and TV (many more stations PLUS they deliver 1080p) my total bill is about $30/month LESS than time warner.

when i told the service person i was canceling because TW had announced they were going to charge by usage, she merely replied "i don't know anything about that"...

TWC caved, and is backing away from charge-for-usage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30252543/

Time Warner Cable Inc. is shelving its plan to bill customers based on how much Internet traffic they generate, following mounting public and political outcry.

Time Warner Cable's capitulation doesn't bode well for the future of metered billing of the Internet, in which people who use more bandwidth pay more.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That's awsome, thanks for the update DA.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    TWC caved, and is backing away from charge-for-usage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30252543/

Time Warner Cable Inc. is shelving its plan to bill customers based on how much Internet traffic they generate, following mounting public and political outcry.

Time Warner Cable's capitulation doesn't bode well for the future of metered billing of the Internet, in which people who use more bandwidth pay more.
    Now, if only public opinion will work so well when states start tracking vehicles with GPS's to tax them on miles driven, instead of (or in addition to) the fuel tax. NC was looking for "volunteers" to test that system this year.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

just wanted to update everyone...my u-verse was installed yesterday and everything went extremely well...the two guys doing the installation could have been EE's as they answered every tech question i had.

they got in, re-wired the entire house, booted everything up in about 21/2 hours..

i am now rocking the net at 18m down and 1.5 m up....the TV signal is awesome and all the computers and the PS3 were connected without any difficulty..

my slingbox looks 3 times better when i am on it with the laptop..

the price is better, the service is better and i have really enjoyed kicking TW to the curb...

i had been thinking about making the switch to uverse when its available in my area, so thanks for the report

and that's from my laptop WIRELESS...the hard wired g-5 is a little faster. My slingbox looks like regular tv when i am away..

i definitely recommend the Uverse if you can get it....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    and that's from my laptop WIRELESS...the hard wired g-5 is a little faster. My slingbox looks like regular tv when i am away..

i definitely recommend the Uverse if you can get it....
    Can you provide a link instead of a thumbnail attachment?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Can you provide a link instead of a thumbnail attachment?
    https://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMS...SRCH=1&247SEM

the thumbnail is just a screen capture of my speed test..

17184 down
    1427 up

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    the thumbnail is just a screen capture of my speed test..

17184 down
    1427 up
    Sorry. I was looking for a link just to check out availability in my area. Indoor66 provided the link for me. I had checked out Verizon in the past, but it's not available here. Going to Indoor66's link, it asked for a zip code which I entered. I was quite surprised when up came a page listing all of the services available. It looked like U-verse was available for me. What a shame, I thought. Just three months ago I went to Time Warner by phone to get rid of some services that I didn't need , and they countered with an offer of keeping all of the services I had, and lowering the monthly fee by about $50 if I agreed to a two year contract.

Bummer, I thought, but when I checked out U-verse, it's not available. The best I can hope for is both FiOS and U-verse to be here in about two years. Not bummer, maybe, but as soon as that TWC contract is over in 21 months, it's outa here. I have a long time to study both AT&T and FiOS services.

From what I learned obout U-verse at their website, my reaction is WOW. No wonder TWC made that offer. They must be expecting AT&T to come in here sooner than later. It includes just as comprehensive a channel package as TWC with a few added bonuses. HD coverage was pretty good, too. I liked the idea of the residential gateway to which all telephones, televisions and computers in the house would be connected. I would have access to all services online including digital telephone service, and control of the installed DVR. That DVR is something, too. Only one, but all tvs, up to four, would be connected to it. It would record something like 250 hours, four programs at one time if necessary, and all recorded programs are accessible from any tv. A lot more really good features. And installation is free. I can't wait until the TWC contract expires.

Ok stupid question here... what's the difference between Verizon Fios & AT&T U-verse?