Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost: Follow the Leader

I loved the ever-confident and calm Richard getting increasingly nervous and uncomfortable throughout this episode. I like that Locke is no longer this 100% honest and faithful guy. He is manipulating things and people too. There is no question he is somehow "changed" since being resurrected. That last line-- "I'm going to kill him," was just awesome. It should set up some pretty good stuff next week including a lot more about who Jacob really is.

Now, one intriguing thing is the fact that Richard says he remembers seeing all the 1977 Lostaways die. If one were to believe that the past cannot be changed-- and the show seems to be constantly teaching us that is cannot -- then one might thing that Jack, Kate, Hurley, and company are toast. I do not subscribe to that belief. What I think is that Richard will see what he thinks is these people dying. I am betting that they will somehow be involved in "the incident" and appear to die but they will actually be moved through time again. I won't be even moderately surprised if that time-shift lands them squarely back in 2007 so they can join with Locke, Ben, Richard, and Sun in fighting the "war" against Whidmore and the "Shadow of the Statue" people.

Anyone else see Whidmore touch Ellie's stomach right as Richard was describing their "complicated" relationship? Ellie killed her son only a few months before he was born.

I need to think on the episode a bit more, but this post should get the conversation started.

--Jason "oh yeah, Ellie has the notebook now and I bet we see the 2007 version of her looking in it for clues" Evans

Oh, I forgot to add-- Chang quizzing Hurley and getting him to admit that he was from the future was hysterical.

--Jason "watch it again here" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Anyone else see Whidmore touch Ellie's stomach right as Richard was describing their "complicated" relationship? Ellie killed her son only a few months before he was born.
    Yeah, I noticed that and thought I heard Widmore say something like do you think you should be doing this "in your condition". Ellie is definitely pregnant with their son at this point.

Here's a question: who is more of a badass? Sayid Jarrah or Nate James? For me, it's a tossup.

Agreed that the best moment in last night's episode was Hurley giving in to Dr. Chang's quizzing. "You fought in the Korean War?" "There's no such thing" Hilarious.

Not that I ever really thought Sawyer and Juliet would make it back to the States and live as happy millionaires for the rest of their lives (in the 80's and 90's haha), but I was pretty crushed for both of them when Kate got on the sub.

Even though we haven't seen as much screen-time, from the characters POV, Sawyer/Juliet have a much much longer and established relationship and I hate to see the producers just try to drama it up by throwing Kate back into the mix.

I loved the ever-confident and calm Richard getting increasingly nervous and uncomfortable throughout this episode. I like that Locke is no longer this 100% honest and faithful guy. He is manipulating things and people too. There is no question he is somehow "changed" since being resurrected. That last line-- "I'm going to kill him," was just awesome. It should set up some pretty good stuff next week including a lot more about who Jacob really is.

Now, one intriguing thing is the fact that Richard says he remembers seeing all the 1977 Lostaways die. If one were to believe that the past cannot be changed-- and the show seems to be constantly teaching us that is cannot -- then one might thing that Jack, Kate, Hurley, and company are toast. I do not subscribe to that belief. What I think is that Richard will see what he thinks is these people dying. I am betting that they will somehow be involved in "the incident" and appear to die but they will actually be moved through time again. I won't be even moderately surprised if that time-shift lands them squarely back in 2007 so they can join with Locke, Ben, Richard, and Sun in fighting the "war" against Whidmore and the "Shadow of the Statue" people.

I need to think on the episode a bit more, but this post should get the conversation started.

--Jason "oh yeah, Ellie has the notebook now and I bet we see the 2007 version of her looking in it for clues" Evans
    Absolutely agree. The incident will be at the end of the season and Richard sees them all "die" in it. Of course they just get zapped back to the now.

So did the ancient inhabitants build all these tunnels under the island? Ones that connect the Temple with where Jughead is located under Dharma-ville? Is this how Richard and the others can get around so quickly and without needing to worry about the sonic fence?

The previews show Saywer back on the island next week. What pulls them back off the sub?

How do any of these people (Jack?) think they're able to detonate an H-bomb? It's not like there's a big red button on it you push.

I think Ellie's quick agreement to detonate the bomb seems way too quick for someone to be convinced to do something so drastic.

And is Sayid really that convinced that they should do this? I presume we're supposed to think that since he now knows Ben is not dead, that this is their best chance to change their history/future. But did he really buy into blowing up an H-bomb that quickly? Or is he playing along so that he can stop Jack when they get to it?

How does the island talk to Locke?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    How does the island talk to Locke?
    If the Island can bring Locke back to life, talking to him would seem to be a fairly simple task.

-Jason "Richard was shocked at Locke's resurrection too-- interesting" Evans

If the Island can bring Locke back to life, talking to him would seem to be a fairly simple task.

-Jason "Richard was shocked at Locke's resurrection too-- interesting" Evans
    I'm sure. I'm just curious about what the mechanism is. Did the island have a talk with him while he was dead before he came back? Does he have the island in his ear chatting with him all the time? Is it the whispers? Can he hear and understand them?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I think Ellie's quick agreement to detonate the bomb seems way too quick for someone to be convinced to do something so drastic.
    She's pregnant and just killed her future baby. I'd consider blowing up an H-bomb a pretty reasonable decision for someone in her situation.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    She's pregnant and just killed her future baby. I'd consider blowing up an H-bomb a pretty reasonable decision for someone in her situation.
    Uhhh if it's actually going to work. Plenty of reasons to disbelieve what's going on, if I'm her.

So as has been mentioned earlier, is Locke going to kill Jacob the scapegoat or Jacob the person(tangible entity)?

What exactly is Richard's role on the island (we heard him described as some sort of adviser)? To me he seems to be by far the most mysterious character so far. Will we get a Richard episode eventually?

Ship in a Bottle

Did anyone else think anything of Richard building a ship in a bottle? I wonder if that is one of the writers' hints of his background (coming to the island on the Black Rock)? Any thoughts?
    devildm
    Duke '03

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    we get a Richard episode eventually?
    I'm absolutely dying for one. If we don't see anything this week, surely it will be Season 6. They can't have had this guy around for so long w/o giving us a background story before the show ends...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    So as has been mentioned earlier, is Locke going to kill Jacob the scapegoat or Jacob the person(tangible entity)?

What exactly is Richard's role on the island (we heard him described as some sort of adviser)? To me he seems to be by far the most mysterious character so far. Will we get a Richard episode eventually?
    Locke may be going to kill the "myth of Jacob."

But I think he is actually going to kill Jacob himself. And this is a good thing. Recall that when Locke first heard Jacob speak in the shack, Jacob's words were "help me." I think Jacob is somehow trapped or something and wants to die so he can be free. Locke is going to free Jacob by killing him.

As for Richard-- I suspect we will get the long-awaited flashback episode for him some time in Season 6. I am betting it shows him as a member of the crew of Magnus Hanso's ship, The Black Rock. They can't give that stuff away until at least the middle of season 6, because that would be giving away some pretty big stuff about the mysteries of the Island.

--Jason "I fully expect someone big to die in next week's episode-- losing Miles and Charlotte this season has not been enough" Evans

--Jason "I fully expect someone big to die in next week's episode-- losing Miles and Charlotte this season has not been enough" Evans
    No one will miss Kate. Or Jack.

Oh, and it was Faraday who died, not Miles

Snowden's "all I feel like I do is correct people - I should probably stop that" cold
    Flame Warriors - Nit Pick

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    No one will miss Kate. Or Jack.

Oh, and it was Faraday who died, not Miles

Snowden's "all I feel like I do is correct people - I should probably stop that" cold
    Flame Warriors - Nit Pick
    Duuuuh. I knew that!! My bad

Kate and Jack are surviving. So are Sawyer, Locke, Hurley, and Ben. Those folks will be around for the duration or at least until the final few episodes of the show.

Juliet, Sayid, Miles, maybe Desmond, Penny, Sun, and/or Jin-- these are the folks I think could bite the dust.

-Jason "everyone seems to think Juliet is a goner" Evans

mild casting spoiler

The actress that plays Juliet is in the V remake (yes you heard that right) that is supposed to be on the air next fall. That may be a clue.

Doesn't next week have to include why Hurley got on the plane? That's the last piece of the return of the O6 that we haven't seen, so it would make sense to tie that up Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Doesn't next week have to include why Hurley got on the plane? That's the last piece of the return of the O6 that we haven't seen, so it would make sense to tie that up Wednesday.
    Hmm, makes sense to me. Although, given the situation with the bomb, Jack, Kate, or Sayid would also seem natural.

Maybe I'm the last one to realize this, but after watching the conversation between Locke and Richard about the compass, I realized that the compass was never made/purchased/brought to the island. It simply exists in a time loop where Locke gives it to Richard in 1954, then Richard to Locke in 2007, who then flashes back to '54, etc. Does it ever get old - was it ever new? Kind of an "All you zombies" moment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%...mbies%E2%80%94.

I like the idea that Locke's death has led him to see that Jacob might prefer to be dead.

I don't think Sun or Jin will get killed this week. Not only does Locke seem interested in bringing them back together, it would spoil the chance for a Big Reunion Scene, and we tend to get them in Lost. Further, Jin has been fairly marginal this season, and his death wouldn't be a season finale; Sun has become fairly central, and her death would leave too many undeveloped plot lines (particularly her apparent deal with Widmore).

While I'm not a huge Desmond fan, I think he'll make it to the end: his ability to see Charlie's death was unique and unexplained, and he may play a big role next year. And we already had a Widmore child die last week; surely he doesn't have both his kids killed in back-to-back episodes?

And if any/all of the above die, their little kiddos are orphaned, which seems sad.

Speaking of someone who grew up without a father, Miles has a unique talent, but he may have shot his dramatic wad by realizing that his father was a good guy. Aside from being one of the only people on the show with a sense of humor (otherwise only Hurley and James?), he's so defended and alienated that it's hard for him to be a huge fan favorite. Does the show need him? On the other hand, his death wouldn't be a particularly poignant finale.

But, if James had to make some sort of choice between his two women, and Kate ended up alive and Juliet ended up dead (either through his choice or one of its ramifications), that would certainly twist the knife. Perhaps Kate lets them know Jack's plan, and, since everyone has learned to see that Jack's plans tend to blow up--as it were--James might need to save the day, leading to the recognition that he and Juliet might have been, alas, star-crossed lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondevil View Post
    Maybe I'm the last one to realize this, but after watching the conversation between Locke and Richard about the compass, I realized that the compass was never made/purchased/brought to the island. It simply exists in a time loop where Locke gives it to Richard in 1954, then Richard to Locke in 2007, who then flashes back to '54, etc. Does it ever get old - was it ever new? Kind of an "All you zombies" moment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%...mbies%E2%80%94.
    That is really cool about the compass. I had not thought about that. Pretty wild. I do seem to recall Locke having a compass with him on flight 815 though. Recall that Locke had all kinds of survivalist equipment (including several hunting knives) with him when he thought he was going to go adventuring in the Outback. It recall he had a compass too.

Then again, the compass in question here is quite clearly being passed from Locke to Richard and back again. I agree with you, it probably does not exist outside of that time loop. Interesting conundrum to ponder. Sorta a "which came first, the chicken or the egg."

As an aside, I had not heard of All You Zombies. What a complicated and fascinating story. I need to read that some time.

My Lost thought for the day-- Jack, Sayid, and company will not blow up Jughead (that would destroy a large part of the Island and make the rest radioactive). But, they will succeed in removing a detonator or something like that from Jughead, allowing them to set off a much smaller explosion which is what will be the cause of The Incident.

--Jason "the producers say we are in for an even bigger twist than 'Jack and Kate are in the future!!'-- I cannot wait!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?