Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    And yet another team rolls over for the Heels...
    Tell me about it. It would be one thing if UNC was really playing lights out defense, not giving MSU any shots. But the Spartans are getting plenty of decent shots. They just can't throw it in the ocean, as the old saying goes. Whatever. Sports can be so disheartening at times.

Especially...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Tell me about it. It would be one thing if UNC was really playing lights out defense, not giving MSU any shots. But the Spartans are getting plenty of decent shots. They just can't throw it in the ocean, as the old saying goes. Whatever. Sports can be so disheartening at times.
    when UNC is one of the teams that is playing...
    DukeDevilDeb

Nope. The 1999 Duke team was the most dominant college basketball team I've ever seen - period. For them to not have won that year was easily the worst miscarriage of justice I've ever seen in college ball as far as the best team not winning a title goes. Watching another team in this tournament lay down for UNC just brings back the pain that much more. Ugh...
    Ok, then you didn't see the '84 UNC team. A squad loaded with 4 future NBA all-stars which included one Michael Jordan as a junior. Talent-wise there is simply no comparison with the '99 Duke team - a team featuring a shooting guard with slow lateral movement in Langdon and led by a combo-guard in Avery. UConn shut down our perimeter locking down Langdon with Rikki Moore and Rip Hamilton running wild on us. They were definitely the better team that day and very dominant throughout that season as well.

Here is the deal -- teams get up for Duke, and go down for UNC. Very simple equation. Why -- well, I don't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Ok, then you didn't see the '84 UNC team. A squad loaded with 4 future NBA all-stars which included one Michael Jordan as a junior. Talent-wise there is simply no comparison with the '99 Duke team - a team featuring a shooting guard with slow lateral movement in Langdon and led by a combo-guard in Avery. UConn shut down our perimeter locking down Langdon with Rikki Moore and Rip Hamilton running wild on us. They were definitely the better team that day and very dominant throughout that season as well.
    Duke beat the most dominant team I ever saw. UNLV 91.

dukemsu

Ok, then you didn't see the '84 UNC team.
    Saw them and simply disagree with you. Let's move on. But this is a Duke board, after all, so surely my contention can't be that much of a shock to you.

Ellington is having a pretty good night. Maybe this will tip the scales in favor of him leaving for the NBA? Looking for any silver lining I can get.

*Sigh.* Does anyone know the largest deficit a team has come back from in the tournament?

Are we talking about NBA talent or college talent? Because, as we've seen through the years, there is a HUGE difference. In college, Jordan was nowhere near dominant. Yet he ended up being one of the greatest of all time. Laettner, in contrast, was one of the best college players ever... and kind of stunk it up in the NBA, comparatively.

Duke had a better team than UConn that entire season - just not when it counted.

As painful as this is to watch, I don't think these teams are just lying down to UNC. UNC is playing it's best ball, and when that happens they are that much better than most teams. They are supremely talented, athletic, deep, and experienced. To a man they are better than MSU at every position...and that's why this game stinks.

Pretty much. Yet UNC fans will call it smothering defense. Kind of like watching MSU throw it out of bounds, on an unforced error and hearing Clark Kellogg talk about UNC's defense.

What it REALLY comes down to is, teams come out cold against UNC, then UNC exerts their will on offense. If you can't stop em, you better at least score with em.

Saw them and simply disagree with you. Let's move on. But this is a Duke board, after all, so surely my contention can't be that much of a shock to you.
    Fair enough. No way I could agree with you on this, but it makes sports debates fun anyways. Maybe we just have different definitions of "dominant".

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Ellington is having a pretty good night. Maybe this will tip the scales in favor of him leaving for the NBA? Looking for any silver lining I can get.

*Sigh.* Does anyone know the largest deficit a team has come back from in the tournament?
    I think Ellington will definitely leave. Ed Davis would be smart to leave as well. He's definitely a top 10 pick. I could see Duke sweeping UNC next year.

Most dominant of all time? Don't you mean 25 years ago with the '84 UNC team? Jordan, Perkins, Daugherty, Smith, Doherty - lost to Indiana (in the regional final I believe).
    Saying they had the most talent isn't even close to the same thing as saying they were the most dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    As painful as this is to watch, I don't think these teams are just lying down to UNC. UNC is playing it's best ball, and when that happens they are that much better than most teams. They are supremely talented, athletic, deep, and experienced. To a man they are better than MSU at every position...and that's why this game stinks.
    You don't think missing wide open shots over and over is laying down? Shooting poorly and unforced turnovers is because of UNC's dominating talent? Hardly.

UNC is re-defining the idea that you need defense to win championships.

Obama picked them...this nation needs a separation of sports and state...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Pretty much. Yet UNC fans will call it smothering defense. Kind of like watching MSU throw it out of bounds, on an unforced error and hearing Clark Kellogg talk about UNC's defense.

What it REALLY comes down to is, teams come out cold against UNC, then UNC exerts their will on offense. If you can't stop em, you better at least score with em.
    Guys, I know it's painful, but UNC's defense has really not been getting enough credit. Go back look at the stats from the games in the tournament. Nobody is shooting high percentages against them. I think they just put it all together at the right time with the ridiculous amount of college talent that is at their disposal. Teams don't just lay down. I'm sure Michigan St wanted to win this one too.

Though, now they're probably just ready for it to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I think Ellington will definitely leave. Ed Davis would be smart to leave as well. He's definitely a top 10 pick. I could see Duke sweeping UNC next year.

Wishful thinking, but I'd toss some pennies in this well!

Michigan State

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    Michigan State has overachieved in this tourney and the Big East did not bring their A games. UNC is much better than MSU- no question. That was pretty obvious from a few months back. MSU had their run- but UNC will win tonight. Congrats to them. Onto the who will now leave UNC after the big win. I say Deon Thompson and Ed Davis will both make the leap after this game- go out on top!

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    Saying they had the most talent isn't even close to the same thing as saying they were the most dominant.
    True, but this team brutalized teams throughout the season. They exercised their talent. Oh yeah, they had a pretty good coach too. Wasn't exactly some fluke year.

Well I now know how UNC fans felt in 01 and 02, they were glad to get rid of Battier, Dunleavy, Williams and Boozer once and for all. So for Beaker, Dancing Danny, Toe Lawson, and Ellington...Congrats, you won, now GET OUT!!!!! kthanxbye.
    Last edited by -jk; 04-06-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Language