Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Dear Michigan State Nation,
    For this one night, we join you as brothers in your war against evil. Please pull out and deploy all weapons available to you and use them to eliminate this evil threat and prevent them from destroying all that is good! Find a way MSU and get this done. We are pulling for you and we offer any and all resources we have to you, if you need it, to prepare for this great battle.

Go MSU!
    GTHC GTH
    9F 9F 9F

I give Michigan State about a 0% chance of winning. as much as I hate to say it, the bad boys will be winning monday night. sigh.

I bring a haiku from 2005 on this board (well the old board, but DBR) to help us in these bad times. This was posted the day after they won it all in 2005; I would give credit but I cannot remember its author!

Baby blue Tar Heels
    playing with their new trophy
    where is the justice?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This is a no-brainer. My brother is strength coach for Mich St. Football. Go Spartans. Kill the beast.
    This is a no-brainer. I went to Duke.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Smile MSU Will Win

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    I give Michigan State about a 0% chance of winning. as much as I hate to say it, the bad boys will be winning monday night. sigh.

I bring a haiku from 2005 on this board (well the old board, but DBR) to help us in these bad times. This was posted the day after they won it all in 2005; I would give credit but I cannot remember its author!

Baby blue Tar Heels
    playing with their new trophy
    where is the justice?
    Michigan State wins tomorrow night. Enjoy the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I'll be rooting hard for those Spartans.

GO DUKE!
    Thanks Kewl!

UNC has a tough environment tomorrow-there will be 50,000 Spartans in the building as I am sure the entire state of Michigan is looking for tickets today. Problem is, if there is one group of guys ready to face down that sort of environment, it is the Heels. They look awfully focused.

State has to survive the early punches. UNC will surely try to eliminate the crowd and come with an early onslaught. If they can keep it within 2 possessions in the last 10 minutes, things could get interesting.

Carolina is favored and should be. But I think State will give them one serious fight.

dukemsu

Michigan State is our ONLY hope.

Go men, go!

dth.

"The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king can bleed."

GO SPARTANS!!!

Make those Tar Heels bleed, cry, and most of all LOSE!

My concern: Everything is building up to a perfect storm for MSU. The battered city angle, the revenge for a thumping angle, 70,000 screaming fans angle. It's beginning to sound like UNC is the underdog.

Why is that a concern? Because Williams can use all that to put an "us against the world" chip on his team's shoulder. And because we all know that UNC will probably get 20,000 fans into the place. Out numbered, yes, but not by the usual home court percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    State has a massive challenge ahead, but I think they have at least a puncher's chance. The problem won't be on the interior-State handled a superior interior team to UNC tonight. The problem will be on the perimeter, where UNC overmatches State in a big way.

Still, I think it was nice of the Spartans to put UConn basketball under Calhoun on life support. The NCAA will likely finish the job and send Calhoun into retirement.

dukemsu
    I never believed in the Spartans (I think because I watched that ACC-big 11 challenge game). But I guess you are correct, and they really are a good team now. I don't think they'll win tonight, but my thinking they aren't going to win sure hasn't stopped them yet in the tourney . . .

I am always glad to see uconn lose. I won't be at all upset if this offseason dooms that program forever. I don't like Gary Williams, but he's a straight shooter, and he truly believes that program is dirty. I tend to take his word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    I agree. For those who don't, just think of what you may see..

1. Danny Green dancing like he's never danced before
    2. The media having a love affair with Hansbrough coming back to get his ring
    3. Hansbrough's celabatory arm flailing thing
    4. The trivia question "what team did former president Obama pick to win the '09 NCAA tournament?"

I think I'll watch Heroes instead, twice even.

The silver lining:

One way or another - this will be the last sighting of Hanstravel in the baby blue.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    "Tyler Hansbrough...one of the greatest careers...ever...came back to get the job done...and now...about to be...an NCAA champion. A fitting cap to perhaps the greatest college career...of all time."
    Yes, they will probably say it, but it won't be true.

Best college careers of all time, Laettner, Walton, and Alcinder. That's my order, YMMV, but those are the top three. If you didn't win at least 2 NCAA Tourney's, I can't even consider you as part of the discussion.

:(

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post

Carolina is favored and should be. But I think State will give them one serious fight.

dukemsu
    I feel like this line has been repeated since Gonzaga (maybe even LSU) and it's been met with blow outs each time. Sigh...

That being said, I still haven't given up the hope that the holes will lose! I'd say 80% of the people at my work are UNC fans, so unless the improbable happens tonight I might have use one of my "sick" days.

Go MSU.

Go Spartans!

Unc should win tonight, but the NCAA tourney has a lot of cinderella history associated with it. And what a great story it would be for Detroit/Michigan.

I have not see MSU play much this year but have read a lot about Kalin Lucas lately. He could be Lawson's downfall. MSU appears to be more athletic.

I think shutting down Green and Ellington is the key. Make them catch the ball where they dont want to and make them try to create their own shots rather than spot up. MSU has enough size to body up Unc inside while helping on Lawson's drives.

But they are not going to completely stop Lawson or Unc, just have to keep them off-balance and score very efficiently themselves.

Lesser teams have beaten Unc at full strength this year...

MSU

How many MSU players will make an NBA roster? I'm really not sure, having only watched a few of their games, but I'm sure it's far less than UNC. Still, I think MSU has a good shot, especially if they attack UNC the way they attacked UConn.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This is a no-brainer. My brother is strength coach for Mich St. Football. Go Spartans. Kill the beast.
    Works as a reason for me. I'll root for MSU because your brother works there. My sister's best friend from high school went there also - two reasons to root for MSU instead of ABC.

9F 9F 9F

That's why I'm rooting for the Spartans tonight.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I just don't see how MSU has a chance. I'd be suprised if it was even close. I usually record all UNC games that are on TV and watch later if UNC is losing. I'm not even going to record the game tonight. I'd prefer to cut my dog's hair than watch the smurfs cruise to a championship.

This is a good night to catch up on some reading. Unless I hear to home town boys are up 5 with 2 to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    How many MSU players will make an NBA roster? I'm really not sure, having only watched a few of their games, but I'm sure it's far less than UNC. Still, I think MSU has a good shot, especially if they attack UNC the way they attacked UConn.
    Most to least likely to play NBA-

Lucas (likely, as a third/fourth guard)
    Summers (likely, same as above)
    Suton (possible)
    Morgan (possible)
    Roe (totally dependent on health/microfracture recovery)

State is not as "untalented" as a lot of people think. The Heels are more talented, sure, but I don't see an NBA star on their roster, either, with the possible exception of Ellington or Davis.

Still, the Heels are favored and should be. I see them jumping out early, State fighting back, and the Heels pulling away late on free throws. 86-79.

dukemsu