Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    What a shooting exhibition nova is putting on. They must of studied Duke when they play in this state earlier in the season.

I hate to say it, but UNC has all the pieces and they look to be doing what we all knew they should be doing.

- 3 deadly 40%+ 3-point shooters
    - NPOY inside (Hansbrough)
    - "NPOY" at PG (Lawson)

That sorta reminds me of the '00-'01 Duke squad

- Dunleavy, Battier, Jwill all shooting ~40% from behind the arc
    - Jwill unstoppable at PG
    - Boozer at center

Nova panicked

They started jacking up threes way too early, just like we did against them. If they had kept driving they'd have had a chance at coming back; they actually had Hans in foul trouble (probably the first time that's EVER happened) and I think Thompson also had three, but nova bailed them out by settling for bad threes.

As far as playing Duke vs playing UNC, I think they just had way more CONFIDENCE coming into our game than this one. Playing better can easily be mistaken for "wanting it"

Is it too much to ask that UNC take at least ONE team's best shot in this tournament? Apparently, their opponents can't throw it in the ocean when they see powder blue.

Never had a chance

Nova never had a chance. Did you see that FT difference? Did you know Carolina shot more FT's than Nova attempted? I say that sarcastically of course, but I'm sorry when a team is shooting that ridiculously well from 3-pt the other team never has a chance. Funny, I thought you couldn't win living by the three, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Has any team in modern times had such an easy path to the championship as the Holes?
    How can it be that easy when they just hammered the team that HAMMERED Duke? They are just better. Accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    finally some sanity in here
    Thank you for two spots of sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by LaettnerWannabe View Post
    Is it too much to ask that UNC take at least ONE team's best shot in this tournament? Apparently, their opponents can't throw it in the ocean when they see powder blue.
    It's called defense. Something they didn't have to play in a once again weak ACC.

It's pretty obvious that UNC was on cruise control during the regular season. They knew that they were the best team in the country all year long. The only thing that could motivate them was winning the tourney and they've saved their best basketball for right now. Let's face it...UNC is unbeatable the way they are playing. They have by far the most talent. Hopefully, this will motivate K and Co. to get their act together and start recruiting some legit talent again! That's what it's all about. It may be hard to believe, but UNC is going to have 4 titles to Duke's 3 since the K era began. Duke's inability to compete with UNC in recruiting the last several years is to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by rippy74 View Post
    How can it be that easy when they just hammered the team that HAMMERED Duke? They are just better. Accept it.
    tonight's villanova team would not have beaten duke either.

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post
    It's pretty obvious that UNC was on cruise control during the regular season. They knew that they were the best team in the country all year long. The only thing that could motivate them was winning the tourney and they've saved their best basketball for right now. Let's face it...UNC is unbeatable the way they are playing. They have by far the most talent. Hopefully, this will motivate K and Co. to get their act together and start recruiting some legit talent again! That's what it's all about. It may be hard to believe, but UNC is going to have 4 titles to Duke's 3 since the K era began. Duke's inability to compete with UNC in recruiting the last several years is to blame.
    Why is it so hard to believe that they will have 4 titles? UNC has had monster talent since K has come on the scene. Monster talent. What is hard to believe is that they don't have many many more. What is hard to believe is that Duke got three when in the span of time they had that monster talent. UNC is a great basketball program. They have been for a very long time. Duke has risen to greatness, in part, because they have had UNC as a rival. Now what is surprising is that UNC has not become the most hated team in America. Perhaps now it will happen.

I think Nova just played tight and weren't up for the "situation". Playing a slightly flawed Duke team in the sweet 16 is NOT the same animal at all as playing a JUGGERNAUT UNC team in the Final Four. I think they listened to the press a little too much, and instead of letting it motivate them, they let it intimidate them. In the Duke game, MOST people were picking them. In the Pitt game, at least a few were picking them, and it was an opponent they knew REALLY well. In the UNC game, they were playing Goliath who EVERYBODY was picking, and they forgot their sling. Jay Wright hasn't been to a ton of FFs like a Roy or K or Izzo and doesn't have that experience. Maybe he was a little intimidated and off his game, too. Well, at least I'll have MSU to pull for on Monday. I guarantee you Izzo won't be scared.

I find it interesting that the Big East that was so annointed at the beginning of the tourney didn't get a single team into the championship game. They had 5/8 and everybody said would have 3/4. Only got 2/4, and one of those games had two Big East teams so was automatic. Then they get the big SQUADOOSH in the final game. So, when the chips were down, I guess the Big East was a little overrated too, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I think Nova just played tight and weren't up for the "situation". Playing a slightly flawed Duke team in the sweet 16 is NOT the same animal at all as playing a JUGGERNAUT UNC team in the Final Four. I think they listened to the press a little too much, and instead of letting it motivate them, they let it intimidate them. In the Duke game, MOST people were picking them. In the Pitt game, at least a few were picking them, and it was an opponent they knew REALLY well. In the UNC game, they were playing Goliath who EVERYBODY was picking, and they forgot their sling. Jay Wright hasn't been to a ton of FFs like a Roy or K or Izzo and doesn't have that experience. Maybe he was a little intimidated and off his game, too. Well, at least I'll have MSU to pull for on Monday. I guarantee you Izzo won't be scared.

I find it interesting that the Big East that was so annointed at the beginning of the tourney didn't get a single team into the championship game. They had 5/8 and everybody said would have 3/4. Only got 2/4, and one of those games had two Big East teams so was automatic. Then they get the big SQUADOOSH in the final game. So, when the chips were down, I guess the Big East was a little overrated too, huh?
    UNC's size limits what small teams can do against them. I think Villanova was overmatched on the inside. Duke and most teams in the Big East do not look like UNC. As for the Big East being overrated- I am not so sure. They have some excellent teams at the top. But I am happy the Big East will not win it all. But lets face it- if MSU wins it- will anyone thing the Big Ten is the best basketball conference? Not likely. The Big East will still be viewed as the best conference this year and whoever wins it all will be viewed as the the best team (UNC) or a team that just got on a very hot streak and a team of destiny (MSU).

SQUADOOSH
    I like this new word just added to my vocabulary.

Sounds like it could be a command from the almighty.

SQUADOOSH THEM!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post
    Kinda like last year when they got shellacked?

I think they had a better team last year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    UNC's size limits what small teams can do against them. I think Villanova was overmatched on the inside. Duke and most teams in the Big East do not look like UNC. As for the Big East being overrated- I am not so sure. They have some excellent teams at the top. But I am happy the Big East will not win it all. But lets face it- if MSU wins it- will anyone thing the Big Ten is the best basketball conference? Not likely. The Big East will still be viewed as the best conference this year and whoever wins it all will be viewed as the the best team (UNC) or a team that just got on a very hot streak and a team of destiny (MSU).
    I'm not saying that the Big East wasn't the best overall conference this year. I think they are. I'm just saying that it's funny to me that for the last three weeks, all I've heard is Big East this and Big East that and who's gonna win the tourney? Pitt, UConn, or Louisville? Hello, are any of those teams in the championship? I'm not saying, I'm just saying, maybe they aren't the greatest conference in the history of college basketball like all the "experts" seem to think.

I'm not saying that the Big East wasn't the best overall conference this year. I think they are. I'm just saying that it's funny to me that for the last three weeks, all I've heard is Big East this and Big East that and who's gonna win the tourney? Pitt, UConn, or Louisville? Hello, are any of those teams in the championship? I'm not saying, I'm just saying, maybe they aren't the greatest conference in the history of college basketball like all the "experts" seem to think.
    Problem with the experts is that they have very short memories. They will mention how they all thought UNC was the best overall team, etc. But if MSU wins- well then, everything is thrown out the window. They bashed the Big Ten all year, and they claimed a team a NC could not win without a NBA caliber big man and point guard. MSU winning could have a big impact on folks perception of what it takes to win a championship. Unfortunately, unless the basketball gods have deemed it so and there are forces in the Universe that are at work, MSU will likely not win on Monday. They had their great game and reality will set in. The only glimmer of hope is that they have seen UNC already at their best this year and will not be in awe.

The only way

unc loses is if they come out overconfident, don't play defense and the 3's don't fall for ellington, green and lawson. They are playing with confidence and have stepped up the defense in the tournament. Peaked at the right time. Still rooting for Michigan State. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by rippy74 View Post
    The original post wasn't sour grapes!

Yes, most of us realized the heels were very good at the start of the year.

However it's also been said that it takes not only talent, but a bit of luck to win it all. The heels have met several teams along the way that they probably shouldn't have.

Crocker goes off for 30 against the Cuze and then lays an egg against the heels.

Reynolds looks all everything against Pitt and then becomes an automated brick launching machine against the heels.

MSU has taken out UCONN and Da Ville, both teams, which match-up on paper alot better with the heels than the Spartans do. I guess come Monday night those two scrubs for MSU who had big games Saturday won't be anywhere to be found.

I could be wrong, but I think the heels will rout MSU.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    How could you have watched the game last night and concluded that Villanova was "overmatched on the inside" against UNC? Villanova outrebounded UNC 50 to 46 and had more offensive rebounds (19 to 14). Villanova even got 4 fouls on each of Hansbrough, Green and Thompson. Moreover, Villanova's only big man, Cunningham, had 12 rebounds, which was more than anybody on UNC. These stats hardly reflect a team "overmatched on the inside."

Villanova's problem was horrific shooting on top of horrific shot selection. 33% from the field and 5-27 from 3pt range will lose nearly every game (at least games against FF caliber opponents). I thought I was watching Duke out there the way they just abandoned their game plan and resorted to a 3pt heavefest in the 2nd half.