Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I like to think of April Fool's as that one day a year where we turn the dial of political correctness from "8" to "2" and cut people some slack for cracking jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Um ... wow. Lighten up, Francis.
    Agreed it was a good joke.

Although not as good as the Dean Smith retiring April Fools post that actually became true several months later. That one really got me.

Lighten up?

I can understand that some people found the lemur thing a joke and funny. Please don't be condescending to the rest of who didn't find it funny by telling us to "lighten up". Lemurs are critically endangered, thus any "joke" about culling them is not funny to those of us who love lemurs.

Lemurs are the predecessors to other primates like humans. We humans have a lot to learn from our ancestors. If you care to learn more about lemurs, please set up a tour at the Duke Lemur Center, it is extremely enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I like to think of April Fool's as that one day a year where we turn the dial of political correctness from "8" to "2" and cut people some slack for cracking jokes.
    I totally agree with you. But joking about killing animals who are critically endangered isn't funny.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I totally agree with you. But joking about killing animals who are critically endangered isn't funny.
    ...and the Lemur contribution to the world is...?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Fair enough. Just to be clear, I was kinda "meh" on the lemur joke, although I did find the phrase "free range lemurs" funny.

If I personally came off as condescending, that was not my intent and I apologize.

I have long found it strange that people can make jokes about, say, culling Tarheels (or Dukies), and no one complains at all-- but if someone makes a joke about culling lemurs, people REALLY get mad.

I think that's something worth thinking about. One way or the other.

Lemurs are the predecessors to other primates like humans. We humans have a lot to learn from our ancestors. If you care to learn more about lemurs, please set up a tour at the Duke Lemur Center, it is extremely enlightening.
    I agree with you that the Lemur Center is wonderful. My wife took my animal crazy son there and it was a wonderful experience for him and I'd like to go myself.

My son was so concerned for the lemurs that he couldn't sleep for hours. I had to lie to him about my perception of the lemurs future to calm him down and stop him from crying.

He took his only three dollars in the world (given to him by the tooth fairy earlier that week) and asked us to give the money to plant trees in Madagascar. We instead made a much larger donation to the WWF fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ...and the Lemur contribution to the world is...?
    A better understanding of primates, including humans.

Check out this web site, http://www.lemurs.us/faq.html. And, the next time you're in Durham make a reservation for a tour of the Duke Lemur Center, as they can do a much better job of explaining what contributions Lemurs make to the world than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I have long found it strange that people can make jokes about, say, culling Tarheels (or Dukies), and no one complains at all-- but if someone makes a joke about culling lemurs, people REALLY get mad.
    Probably because Tarheels and Dukies aren't on the endangered list.

A little clarification folks ...

I work on lemur conservation, ecology, and behavior in Madagascar. My comments earlier, in their proper context, are from someone who studies the interaction between people and their environment, and its effects on rare and endangered primates. Hunting is a severe issue with the primates in question. The comment that set me off is extremely similar to comments I have experienced in the lemurs' native habitat (the comments were by Euros). And when you personally have seen the results of culling/hunting for sport in the wild, the comment, no matter what the intent, simply turns my stomach.

Bye,
    Lavabe

Ummm...NO. Not where defenseless animals are concerned.

And my name isn't Francis.
    You really sound ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Unless you're pulling off your own April Fool's Day joke, in which case it's hilarious.

You really sound ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Unless you're pulling off your own April Fool's Day joke, in which case it's hilarious.
    I learned from the best, Jumbo!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That's not right to attack her personally like that. She, like others on this site, found the joke to be in poor taste, including myself. Because she expresses her opinion does not make her sound rediculous.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's not right to attack her personally like that. She, like others on this site, found the joke to be in poor taste, including myself. Because she expresses her opinion does not make her sound rediculous.
    Thank you CB&B. You are a true gentleman!

I learned from the best, Jumbo!
    OK, wait were you being offended in jest? Is this some sort of reverse-Andy Kaufman type gag?

This whole things lemur thing was never hilarious to begin with and is now just bringing me down.

Time to go listen to the Filet-O-Fish song in my head again...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's not a personal attack. Tilly could be a wonderful, delightful, saint of a person. Her post sounds ridiculous. Nothing else she has said does. Nothing about her is ridiculous. Just the joke.

BTW, I still can't tell if she's playing around with her own April Fool's Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post

Time to go listen to the Filet-O-Fish song in my head again...
    What if it were you, hanging up on the wall?
    Last edited by Jumbo; 04-01-2009 at 02:48 PM.

That's not a personal attack. Tilly could be a wonderful, delightful, saint of a person. Her post sounds ridiculous. Nothing else she has said does. Nothing about her is ridiculous. Just the joke.

BTW, I still can't tell if she's playing around with her own April Fool's Joke.
    Jumbo, how is "you really sound ridiculous" not a personal attack?

Jumbo, how is "you really sound ridiculous" not a personal attack?
    Because it has nothing to do with you as a person. It has to do with what you're saying. You could easily rephrase that as "your post sounds really ridiculous." And that's the same thing I'd write if someone suggested Duke start Jordan Davidson or the U.S. invade Canada. That's how I've always viewed "personal attacks," at least.

Jumbo,

unfortunately these folks are being serious. Goes to show one can't make an obvious joke and not offend someone, even on April Fool's. I've already PM'd the people I 'offended' so don't jump on me again, just sayin.

FWIW Madagascar and Madagascar II are two of my favorite movies. I will stick to posting about sports as to not ruin anyone else's day.

Folks! Today's supposed to be a little fun!

Don't worry: we can all get back to our regularly scheduled, uptight selves tomorrow.

-jk