Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Duke to Adjust Lemur Population

Please tell me this story on the Home page is an April Fool's joke. There has to be another way to deal with the population of lemurs at Duke than killing them.

I read it and went 'WTF?' then remembered the date.

Almost had me there!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post

Almost had me there!
    I want confirmation it's a joke. Especially since I haven't been able to find anything about it on the internet.

DBR, if this is an April Fool's joke, it wasn't funny. Some animal lovers are most definitely NOT amused.

Lavabe, where are you?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I believe the photo and the caption pretty much give it away as a joke. I'm with Tilly though, I wasn't laughing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

word for word

Almost had me there!
    Exactly what I did!

I am really tempted to call the Duke Lemur center to find out if this is true or a horrible April Fool's joke.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I believe the photo and the caption pretty much give it away as a joke. I'm with Tilly though, I wasn't laughing.
    I wasn't laughing when they pulled the one about moving basketball parking to the American Tobacco Campus. Because it was way too believable!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I am really tempted to call the Duke Lemur center to find out if this is true or a horrible April Fool's joke.
    The DLC have a lot of work over there, and they should not be dealing with a DBR April Fool headline.

I readily admit I don't know as much about the Duke Lemur Center as I should, but are there really "free range" lemurs? The use of "free range" is what made me assume it was a joke from the very beginning. That and the fact that I knew Lavabe wouldn't let it happen.

What triggered the 'April Fools Day' in my brain was the thought that Lavabe would certainly have had something to say about this before now!

In Florida we've got big issues with snakes/fish/birds/lizards that were pets and got away or were set free - and there is some culling going on to protect the local populations - so it wasn't entirely unbelievable...the lack of mentin of efforts to trap the 'free range' lemurs was the second warning sign...then I remembered it was April 1st.

Most definitely NOT funny.

Ol' Roy takes Kentucky job...now THAT would be funny.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

I like to move it move it, I like to MOVE IT!

I hear Lemur is downright tasty, if you marinate it and cook it in a crockpot with a helping of veggies.

People actually took this seriously? I didn't think it was one of the better April Fools articles on DBR... too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    People actually took this seriously? I didn't think it was one of the better April Fools articles on DBR... too easy.
    It was early, I was working on my first cup of coffee. It took a minute for higher brain function to engage.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    I like to move it move it, I like to MOVE IT!

I hear Lemur is downright tasty, if you marinate it and cook it in a crockpot with a helping of veggies.
    I fail to see the humor of your second line.

Please tell me this story on the Home page is an April Fool's joke. There has to be another way to deal with the population of lemurs at Duke than killing them.

Almost had me there!
    What triggered the 'April Fools Day' in my brain was the thought that Lavabe would certainly have had something to say about this before now!

In Florida we've got big issues with snakes/fish/birds/lizards that were pets and got away or were set free - and there is some culling going on to protect the local populations - so it wasn't entirely unbelievable...the lack of mentin of efforts to trap the 'free range' lemurs was the second warning sign...then I remembered it was April 1st.

What most of you have missed is that the story was first posted about 11:45 last night, and was dated March 31st. I saw it and commented to Sue71. Glad they changed the byline date to April 1.

As for Windsor's comments, you better not be a deer romping through backyards in south Smithfield. We have legal bow hunting in this very residential neighborhood in order to "cull the herd". And this is for real!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

<snip>

Umm with family issues going on, I am not up to my normal response time on much of anything. The long and the short of it is that it was an April Fool's joke. And I agree with your penultimate line. I have PM'd my concerns to the DBR folks.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I want confirmation it's a joke. Especially since I haven't been able to find anything about it on the internet.

DBR, if this is an April Fool's joke, it wasn't funny. Some animal lovers are most definitely NOT amused.

Lavabe, where are you?
    Um ... wow. Lighten up, Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Ummm...NO. Not where defenseless animals are concerned.

And my name isn't Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I must agree. The thought of lemurs somehow being confined to Duke Forest, and the need to cull them, made me grin. I was just wondering when we may see a few in Guilford County.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I fail to see the humor of your second line.
    Listen, it's called a 'joke.' If you are going to 'cull' something then you might as well eat it, right? If you can't grill it, don't kill it. Waste not, want not.

Lighten up