Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/most...qHZTKi6Ig.cspx

ok so a little questionable credibility, but this is the first claim to officialness
    That's fantastic. Quoting a student newspaper quoting a Rivals story?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Wazzu coach Tony Bennett to UVa

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9...u-for-Virginia

h/t tom.b
    ...and that carousel just keeps spinning

Cool Wall impact?

Yes, what a crazy "carousel."
    But 'am only interested in so far as it could impact our recruitment of Mr. John Wall from NEARBY Raleigh, who reportedly had a terrific visit Sunday.

I think we've all heard that Wall may have been a "lean" for Memphis, at least up until his visit Sunday to the Gothic Wonderland. Now, who knows?!? But I gotta think that a move of Calipari to KY would (1) Pretty much eliminate Memphis from consideration, and (2) Add KY to the list. Who really knows except Mr. Wall? But, I gotta think, after a long recruiting process and a kid mentally getting ready to resolve things finally in the next couple of weeks, well that almost has to be good news for us. (Calipari newly at KY has not as good a chance as Calipari at Memphis.)

Come 'on John -- Duke needs ya! Imagine the impact of stepping into a veteran lineup in clear need of a big-time PG!! Can you say "Pre-season number one???"

-BDBD

P.S. Interesting comments from KY fans about Calipari's "ethical challenges."
    Wasn't aware that he was in the same vein as Tark, Calhoun, et al. (but I loved the post about KY switching from Emery to Fedex for its cash shipments!) 'might be a good fit after all...

It could be interesting to see what goes on at Kentucky this offseason. They had 17 players on the roster this year but only one senior (though no idea how many guys left are actually on scholarship) plus three guys signed and one committed. Then you've got word that Calipari is looking to bring a couple of Memphis guys and some of his recruits, four of whom signed a LOIs. Add Demarcus Cousins and Wall into that mix, plus Pilgrim and you've got like 29 potentially seeking a scholarship at UK next year.

New UVA coach

An up and coming coach given an offer he couldn't refuse. Winning pick for both parties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6d03...eature=related

About time we got a decent singer in this conference.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6d03...eature=related

About time we got a decent singer in this conference.
    Thank you - I was thinking the same thing. Did he leave his heart in San Francisco?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    His first season at Washington was 2006-7. So they went to the NCAA's twice in a row, then they went 17-16 this year. That's not too much progress. Best of luck to UVA, but I'd be cautious.

Oh yeah, they lost in the NIT first round, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I like their choice. Trying to recruit in Pullman had to be very difficult for a member of a major conference. I have watched a few PAC Ten games in recent years and his players show improvement from year-to-year. Low and Weaver were not highly recruited and became top flight players under Bennett's coaching.

He is like his father and teaches a slow down game with lots of screening and passing (not too unlike Terry Holland). It will be an interesting contrast to many of the teams in the ACC and his ability to attract good assistants and players will tell the tale. I would like for him to get Bryant Stith on his staff. Stith has been a successful high school coach in his hometown and would put a Virginia stamp on the coaching staff, as well as be a second NBA player (Bennett played for a few years).

I recently read an article about a 2009 recruit from North Carolina, David Chadwick, who had a family relationship with Bennett and committed to Washington State. I wonder whether they will let him out of his commitment and whether he would follow Bennett to Virginia.

gw67

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    First I will admit that I have no idea if this guy can coach or not. That said, I was really hoping that UVA got either Tubby Smith or Sean Miller. I really think part of the problem with our ACC Brethren is we have a heck of alot of bad coaches in our league. That is one reason the Big East handed us our lunches in this years tourney.

Hopefully Bennett turns out to be one of those great finds and becomes a great coach that leads UVA back to glory. The ACC could sure use another good/great coach.

Bennet is a decent, not great coach IMO. His teams are very solid on defense, but they also make Big10 teams look like offensive juggernauts. I think he might be in over his head at UVA. He will need to do a great job recruiting to compete.

Time will tell.

Nice hire by UVA. It will be interesting to see if Bennett modifies his style at all.

It's not done yet, but think of the following scenario:

Calipari+Kentucky+World Wide Wes

Oh, think of the potential for ethical meandering.

But seriously, UK would be back in the Final Four within 3 years. Kentucky is about to become Kentucky all over again. Unless Cal is using the whole thing as a means to get more FedEx$ out of Memphis. Wouldn't shock me.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Bennet is a decent, not great coach IMO. His teams are very solid on defense, but they also make Big10 teams look like offensive juggernauts. I think he might be in over his head at UVA. He will need to do a great job recruiting to compete.

Time will tell.
    His teams have definitely been better defensively, but when he had some solid veterans like in '08, they were fine offensively but just played very slow. The biggest roadblock will be getting people and recruits to see past that tempo like Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon have had to do.

Bennett is a great hire.

Jeez, the guy won in Pullman. And the winning brought recruiting success. He got Klay Thompson (son of ex-Laker Mychal) out of SoCal last year. That's the first time in living memory that Wazzu got a player that everybody in the Pac-10 wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Bennett is a great hire.

Jeez, the guy won in Pullman. And the winning brought recruiting success. He got Klay Thompson (son of ex-Laker Mychal) out of SoCal last year. That's the first time in living memory that Wazzu got a player that everybody in the Pac-10 wanted.
    As someone who lives a few minutes down the road from Pullman and works there most days, I can guarantee you two things:

1. Pullman is one of the last places on earth legit Pac-10 bball players want to come to.
    2. Bennett has managed to do amazing things with little to no major talent. The dude can coach and he might work out very well for VA.

Just my $.02 worth from the Palouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    As someone who lives a few minutes down the road from Pullman and works there most days, I can guarantee you two things:

1. Pullman is one of the last places on earth legit Pac-10 bball players want to come to.
    2. Bennett has managed to do amazing things with little to no major talent. The dude can coach and he might work out very well for VA.

Just my $.02 worth from the Palouse.
    There's definitely an opportunity in the ACC for a good young coach, and Bennett might be the guy.

1. The current lineup of coaches is not perceived to be very strong, once you get past Coach K and Roy. Sweaty is probably 3rd.

2. The top 3 guys are in their late 50's and early 60's; they'll likely retire in the next 10-15 years, or sooner.

3. Virginia has a lot in place---very nice arena and facilities, good tradition, good natural recruiting area. No reason they can't be good.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...71764/14296128

35-40 million 6 year deal for a coach who has never won a national championship... oh man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...71764/14296128

35-40 million 6 year deal for a coach who has never won a national championship... oh man
    ESPN has reported 35 mil for 8 years... I think the kink was already posted but here it is anyway
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    They're saying Memphis is looking to talk to Mike Anderson, coach of Mizzou. Then who does Mizzou get? Gillespie? This certainly is a coaching carousel.

Edit: Just found this article:
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/11569528
    The AJC is reporting that Anderson has been talking with UGA about its available coaching position:
    http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ge_tab_newstab

The wheels of the bus go round and round...