Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

It is one thing to look out for one's family and another to do what is going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    I'm not going to blame Calipari for looking out for himself and his family. And I'm definitely not going to feel sorry for either UK or Memphis. They are big time programs that have money to throw around, and Calipari will generate millions of dollars for whichever school he's at.
    Hi,

It sounds more and more like his talking to Kentucky was legit. This is probably a post for the "off topic" boards, but given what I am reading in Oriole Way's post at what point is the argument "just taking care of my family" a bit cloudy or is there ever such a ceiling? Does re-negotiating one's multiple million dollar contract at the first possible sign of getting more out of a team/school "ok" because one is doing everything possible to grab every last nickel? The one with the most toys does win, right?

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    Wait, is that a live stream of a door that Coach Cal could potentially walk out of? Hilarious.
    Yes

They are reporting updates also.

Memphis talking to Mizzou HC Mike Anderson

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/generic/.../Live_Stream_1

Permission given by Missouri

Looks like Cal is gone

They're saying Memphis is looking to talk to Mike Anderson, coach of Mizzou. Then who does Mizzou get? Gillespie? This certainly is a coaching carousel.

Edit: Just found this article:
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/11569528

"It's close, but it's not quite done," one source on the Memphis side told CBSSports.com. "Kentucky is pretty sure it's done, but you know Cal, he could change his mind at the last minute."
    A separate source said the Memphis assistants are already touching base with recruits to make sure they'd jump to the SEC with them

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    They're saying Memphis is looking to talk to Mike Anderson, coach of Mizzou. Then who does Mizzou get?
    Wojo, obviously.

Anderson certainly has experience cleaning up after an ethically-challenged predecessor.

Bernie's got a column up on this quick-like.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...5?OpenDocument
    Last edited by throatybeard; 03-30-2009 at 04:03 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Is Memphis really a step up from Mizzou? I guess they'd probably give him more $$$, but besides that, doesn't seem any better than Mizzou to me. Basketball is the #1 sport at Mizzou and it's the Big XII...But I guess money talks. Perhaps it's easier to recruit big time players to go to Memphis, but I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...5?OpenDocument

From the link: "He has another nice recruiting class on the way."
    He does? He's got Keith Dewitt and Michael Dixon. Both 3 stars. One at power forward and one a guard. And he's losing Carroll and Lyons, along with his most dangerous outside shooter in Matt Lawrence.

I know he's trying to get some JUCO big as well.

I don't know who Mizzou goes after if he leaves, but it's always a dangerous balancing act in judging when to extend a coach. Mizzou is probably on the tourney borderline next year. If you extend Anderson and he falters for a couple of years (Good Lord willing) . . .

Not sure Mizzou has any better options though, at this point. Still, it would be nice for Mizzou if Anderson had shown he could recruit well to this point. Not sure he's shown that.
    Last edited by crimsonandblue; 03-30-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Interesting development, Fox13 of Memphis and Goodman of FoxSports are reporting that Calipari is trying to convince Memphis to hire former assistant Tony Barbee for the job, indicating that Barbee would be able to keep the current recruiting class in place. This would indicate Cal would then not raid the recruiting class.

Ths could affect the Wall recruitment, since he wouldn't have a relationship with Barbee and Calipari wouldn't have much talent at UK next year. I think we root for Barbee!

Wall isn't a Memphis commitment, so Calipari would presumably continue to recruit him (now to Kentucky).

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Maybe in that scenario, Henry takes the Brandon Jennings route and spends a year making a million bucks in Italy. Or threatens to do so if Memphis doesn't let him out of his LOI.
    Isn't it pretty standard procedure that recruits get let out of commitments when the coach who signed them leaves? I didn't even think of it being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    Please NOOOOO! I love my wildcats but roywhite is right, Calipari's lack of ethics can only spell disaster down the road for Kentucky.

Why can't the BBall gods smile on My Old Kentucky Home and bring Pat Riley with Trevor Ford as his assistant to Lexington? Pat could lead the way for a few years and then hand the program to a Kentucky native to really nurture a long term successful program. We could borrow a page from K's book and hire ex-Cats as assistants to groom a lifetime of coaching consistency.

OK, I'll come down from my cloud now...
    You have my sympathy, KenTankerous. Let the fireworks begin!

Quote Originally Posted by MADevil30 View Post
    Isn't it pretty standard procedure that recruits get let out of commitments when the coach who signed them leaves? I didn't even think of it being an issue.
    I believe that the school can make the release conditional. Typical conditions are no release to schools in conference or to a specified school where tampering is suspected.

In the meantime, why is UVA so quiet? Doesn't anybody want that job? Would Gillespie be considered a good candidate? Few?
    How about Russ Pennell for VCU? Give him some time to get his bearings on the east coast and he's probably a pretty good fit for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    In the meantime, why is UVA so quiet? Doesn't anybody want that job? Would Gillespie be considered a good candidate? Few?
    How about Russ Pennell for VCU? Give him some time to get his bearings on the east coast and he's probably a pretty good fit for the job.
    Maybe not all quiet: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...bennett31.html

Virginia hires Tony Bennett.
    Last edited by crimsonandblue; 03-30-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Wrong link

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    6 years, $40+ million... WOW.

Virginia

Wazzu coach Tony Bennett to UVa

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9...u-for-Virginia

h/t tom.b

And its official?

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/most...qHZTKi6Ig.cspx

ok so a little questionable credibility, but this is the first claim to officialness

Interesting hire for UVA. Good coach, but let's just say his style makes Herb Sendek look like a run-and-gun coach.

Also of note, since this is the general info thread, Anthony Grant was hired by Alabama.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke