Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Calipari to Kentucky

According to ESPN Sport Center, today's 10 AM version. Calipari is leaving Memphis State and taking on a huge contract at Kentucky. The ESPN site online has not brought it up yet. It's an Andy Katz story, they said.

WOW. Huge ramifications for college basketball, including Duke. If Henderson comes back, I considered Memphis our main competitor for a national title.

I have a boatload of questions.

Will Wall consider Kentucky?

Is Duke now more attractive for Wall?

Which recruits will follow Cal to UK?

Will Cal leaving cause any current Memphis players to transfer, or bolt to the NBA faster?

Did UK consider Billy Donovan, and would he have been a better choice given his Kentucky connections and a resume which includes two championships?

Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    According to ESPN Sport Center, today's 10 AM version. Calipari is leaving Memphis State and taking on a huge contract at Kentucky. The ESPN site online has not brought it up yet. It's an Andy Katz story, they said.
    Wow, this has huge implications.

Memphis Job is open

John Wall's recruitment

Kentucky could start Jodie Meeks, Patrick Patterson, Demarcus Cousins, and (please no) John Wall

If Cousins doesn't go with Calipari, he will go somewhere new. Xavier Henry might also be asking for a release. A lot of 5 star recruits will be floating around this drama.

good match

Seems like the marriage of a win at all costs coach and we-don't-care-what-you-do, just win fanbase

haha Oriole Way and I also coordinated our outfits today... jk

Calipari going to a real league? WHAT!!!

Not a done deal, according to the article posted by Andy Katz this morning.

Reporting that Cal is meeting with Kentucky today. Could still be a ploy to get more money and love out of Memphis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

Yeah, this isn't a done deal yet.

Cal's banking on both Memphis and UK emptying the coffers, which I'm sure both will attempt to do.

Gillispie's firing is essentially two winning lottery tickets for Cal. He's just got to pick which one to cash in.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Calipari going to a real league? WHAT!!!
    Well, the SEC anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Not a done deal, according to the article posted by Andy Katz this morning.

Reporting that Cal is meeting with Kentucky today. Could still be a ploy to get more money and love out of Memphis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848
    I have been looking for that link. ESPN lead the 10 o'clock hour with the story, but implied it was a done deal. Here is another look from Sunday's Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Please NOOOOO! I love my wildcats but roywhite is right, Calipari's lack of ethics can only spell disaster down the road for Kentucky.

Why can't the BBall gods smile on My Old Kentucky Home and bring Pat Riley with Trevor Ford as his assistant to Lexington? Pat could lead the way for a few years and then hand the program to a Kentucky native to really nurture a long term successful program. We could borrow a page from K's book and hire ex-Cats as assistants to groom a lifetime of coaching consistency.

OK, I'll come down from my cloud now...

The eleven o clock sports center is still using the "contemplating" language.

So, not a done deal. I still think he's basically extorting Memphis for money and then leaving Kentucky out in the cold.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I have no love for Kentucky these days, but...

Hi,

If Calipari really has no interest in going to Kentucky and is just using them for more money out of Memphis he is both hurting Memphis and Kentucky at the same time. What a jerk.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

If Calipari really has no interest in going to Kentucky and is just using them for more money out of Memphis he is both hurting Memphis and Kentucky at the same time. What a jerk.

GO DUKE!
    I'm not going to blame Calipari for looking out for himself and his family. And I'm definitely not going to feel sorry for either UK or Memphis. They are big time programs that have money to throw around, and Calipari will generate millions of dollars for whichever school he's at.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...nts-departure/

Well, the Memphis Commercial Appeal now says Cal met with Memphis players today. While not specifically saying he was going to UK, he apparently compared the UK job to the Notre Dame football job. The paper said the players seem convinced he's gone.

So...certainly sounds like Calipari's moving to the stone walls and white fences of horse country.

As others have said, my primary interest in this is John Wall. Kentucky is perhaps even more desperate for a PG than Duke, considering UK still has Michael Porter. Cal seems like the sort of guy who would guarantee Wall a starting job from Day 1, whereas K doesn't do that sort of thing.

If Wall's interested in both UK and Calipari, then the melding of the two certainly seems to give UK a leg up, at least on paper. Here's hoping Wall's been floored by Duke to the point that he forgets about everything else.
    Last edited by KyDevilinIL; 03-30-2009 at 11:26 AM.

16. To the best of my (very limited) knowledge Wall has never expressed any particular interest in Kentucky. Neither Scout nor Rivals lists Wall as interested. Obviously if he really wants to play with Cal that makes them a major option, but there's nothing I'm aware of that makes Cal at UK any more attractive than Cal at UM. I'll be curious to see how that affects guys like Patterson who signed on to play with Gillespie and are considering a jump to the NBA. Are they more likely to go since their coach is gone? Are they excited run with a guy like Cal and the players he bring? Lots of things up in the air right now.

Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    Well, the Memphis Commercial Appeal now says Cal met with Memphis players today. While not specifically saying he was going to UK, he apparently compared the UK job to the Notre Dame football job. The paper said the players seem convinced he's gone.

So...certainly sounds like Calipari's moving to the stone walls and white fences of horse country.

As others have said, my primary interest in this is John Wall. Kentucky is perhaps even more desperate for a PG than Duke, considering UK still has Michael Porter. Cal seems like the sort of guy who would guarantee Wall a starting job from Day 1, whereas K doesn't do that sort of thing.

If Wall's interested in both UK and Calipari, then the melding of the two certainly seems to give UK a leg up, at least on paper. Here's hoping Wall's been floored by Duke to the point that he forgets about everything else.
    I think Kentucky would be attractive for Wall, but only if guys like Xavier Henry don't follow Calipari to UK.

I don't think having both Henry and Meeks to compete with for shots would be ideal, but then again, there would have been some talent at Memphis as well, especially if Tyreke Evans stays another year.

When did Ky get permission to talk to Calipari?

Negotiations seem fairly far along considering that Billy Clyde was set free late Friday afternoon. One report stated Ky had discussed the general money terms with Cal last night.

This bodes well for Billy's case for the $6 mil buyout and for Memphis' tampering case.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    When did Ky get permission to talk to Calipari?

Negotiations seem fairly far along considering that Billy Clyde was set free late Friday afternoon. One report stated Ky had discussed the general money terms with Cal last night.

This bodes well for Billy's case for the $6 mil buyout and for Memphis' tampering case.
    Exactly. There's an air of sleaze wafting over both Gillispie's ouster and the apparent rapid-fire hiring of Calipari.

Which is par for the course for both halves of this marriage. That's why Forde came out and said having Calipari at the helm might not be the best move for the ol' Cats.

As this was discussed a bit on Friday on one of the threads, even if not done or if it falls apart, this is a match made in heaven as you have a institution and a individual who either are desperate to regain the attention and status it once had (i.e. Kentucky) and one who craves the media attention and wants to prove to everyone he can win and win big but who needs a championship to show off to everyone. I know Cal has a nice thing going at Memphis and everyone says how can he walk away from 30+ wins a year and a top recruiting class, but remember he is the big fish in a small pond and will never get the recognition as Coach K, Roy or Pitino until he is the big fish in the big pond. He seems to have a ego the size of the three coaches I just mentioned. Just watch how he talks to go along with his actions during an interview. On top of that, he can bring in the same players, develop the team in a BCS league, suffer a few more loses but in the end it will prep them better for a national championship run to get over the hump. And finally, as for the recruits, correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of them only gave verbals and the committed to the COACH not the school. So if he bolts, they will go with him pending available scholarships and that goes for Wall too.