Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Will they still make the tourney next year?

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Fox's move to Georgia, after Trent Johnson went from Nevada to Stanford to LSU, puts Nevada almost in Western Kentucky's league as a primo first head coaching job that is a stepping stone to the bigs. Yo, Woj, you getting this?

Jim Livengood, the Zona AD, is an idiot. He's not going to get a big-name coach, because the program is in a shambles. He could get a solid coach like Randy Bennett (St. Mary's), Bill Grier (USD), or Stew Morrill (Utah State), or maybe even Dana Altman from Creighton, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... Wazzu will get one of those guys, Budinger and Hill will declare for the draft, all of Zona's recruits will de-commit, and they will go 3-15 in the Pac-10 next year. And there will be much rejoicing throughout the land.
    Hi,

Silly me, Arizona always makes the tournament.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

If the coaching search gets too bad, I wonder if Lute tries to make a comeback?
    I think that may be the 800 pound gorilla which keeps some coaches away.

Bob Knight and Worldwide Wes!

Can you see Knight dealing with the recruits that are expecting the special Fed Ex deliveries? With the boosters that expect special access to the program? With Worldwide Wes?

Snort.
    Please, God. This HAS to happen! It would be the greatest theater ever.

Arizona and Seth Greenberg... oh my. Hokies seem to think it is going down.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    That would be a huge mistake for Arizona. I know they can do better than that.

Here's a blog from azcentral.com - the writer's not in love with the idea of Greenberg. Also rules out Seth Miller & Lon Kruger. But... we know how accurate the AZ media has been so far.

Edit: 1988 ACC Champs!

A coach as snakebitten as Seth moving to the desert?

Why, that's ... BRILLIANT!!

Lute must be on the selection committe. He is protecting his legacy.

Please God no

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4043820

Please Sean, say it aint so!! I really, really hope he stays at X. My alma mater really needs him! I was hoping he would be the Mark Few of the midwest. Supposedly he loves the area and the university, but money is money, so we shall see. X just cannot win a bidding war with Zona. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4043820

Please Sean, say it aint so!! I really, really hope he stays at X. My alma mater really needs him! I was hoping he would be the Mark Few of the midwest. Supposedly he loves the area and the university, but money is money, so we shall see. X just cannot win a bidding war with Zona. Ugh.
    Xavier did say they were willing to match Arizona's offer if they do offer, but to what extent would be the question.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4045199

Report has it that Miller declined. Wow this has been one of the most premier jobs in all of college basketball in the last decade or so and it unbelievable what is happening. I do not think they are in the top tier of college programs but they are in at least the second or third. Indiana got Crean even though they were on pace to a horrific season, its astonishing that Arizona cannot get anybody. Their interim, Russ Prennil, might be forced to take the job. I am pretty sure they are on their 4th option.
    1 Capel
    2 Floyd
    3 Miller

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballer2294 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4045199

Report has it that Miller declined. Wow this has been one of the most premier jobs in all of college basketball in the last decade or so and it unbelievable what is happening. I do not think they are in the top tier of college programs but they are in at least the second or third. Indiana got Crean even though they were on pace to a horrific season, its astonishing that Arizona cannot get anybody. Their interim, Russ Prennil, might be forced to take the job. I am pretty sure they are on their 4th option.
    1 Capel
    2 Floyd
    3 Miller
    And there was much rejoicing! Miller may just be the guy who is willing to stay at X and keep it rolling. But if Pitt ever opens up and they come calling, I think that would be hard for him to turn down.

Zona stimulus package

Arizona's AD Livengood is single-handedly raising the average coaching salary with each phone call he makes. How many D1 coaches are there? So far several have received big bucks for talking to or just being mentioned in association with UA. A few more calls, with each coach getting a $500,000 / yr raise when contacted (Zona is said to be offering $2 mil plus), the average coaching salary could rise by over $50,000 this year.

Is Zona becoming the new NCSU? How many coaches did NCSU ask before settling on Lowe? Was it 5? 6?

And there was much rejoicing! Miller may just be the guy who is willing to stay at X and keep it rolling. But if Pitt ever opens up and they come calling, I think that would be hard for him to turn down.
    Apparently not. Yahoo Sports is reporting Miller has accepted the deal to become Arizona's next Head Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Apparently not. Yahoo Sports is reporting Miller has accepted the deal to become Arizona's next Head Coach.
    Ahhh crap!!

I hope its not true, but if it is I guess its not that much of a surprise. Although, I'm not sure he's inheriting much at Zona considering no one has been recruiting the last three years and their best players may (probably?) jump to the Association. One day my alma mater won't be a stepping stone for a bigger gig, one day. A boy can dream right?

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    So he did a reverse Cremins with a half twist?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9...er-for-Arizona

How about Chris Collins at Xavier?

So he did a reverse Cremins with a half twist?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9...er-for-Arizona

How about Chris Collins at Xavier?
    I would love it, but I don't know if Xavier can get a high profile assistant to take the gig. Miller was an assistant under Matta, so they may promote from within. But I think most of his assistants are fairly young guys (not that Miller is exactly old) so who knows. X will have some talent next year, although they do lose Raymond and CJ Anderson. Everyone else can be back (if Derrick Brown stays out of the draft) and the Crawford kid that played as a freshman at Indiana will be eligible. So the cupboard isn't bare and won't require rebuilding right away. Hopefully that attracts some good candidates. As for Miller, X paid him 800k/year and Zona is giving him 2mil per for 7 years. Hard to fault the guy, but I really, really wish he would have stayed. Great coach and a good recruiter.

I would love it, but I don't know if Xavier can get a high profile assistant to take the gig. Miller was an assistant under Matta, so they may promote from within. But I think most of his assistants are fairly young guys (not that Miller is exactly old) so who knows. X will have some talent next year, although they do lose Raymond and CJ Anderson. Everyone else can be back (if Derrick Brown stays out of the draft) and the Crawford kid that played as a freshman at Indiana will be eligible. So the cupboard isn't bare and won't require rebuilding right away. Hopefully that attracts some good candidates. As for Miller, X paid him 800k/year and Zona is giving him 2mil per for 7 years. Hard to fault the guy, but I really, really wish he would have stayed. Great coach and a good recruiter.
    I agree, but Xavier has made the right moves in the past. I wouldn't be too concerned. They have a great arena and following that has elevated them into the high-major category. I think whoever they'll bring in will be able to keep things rolling but I'm not sure they can do it to the success that Miller had. I followed their big man Jason Love throughout his career at Abington Friends outside of Philly and really pull for Xavier because of that and there great fans I have met. Best of Luck Xavier.

A CBSsports.com "Breaking News" banner is reading that Josh Pastner has accepted the head coaching job at Memphis (reports Gary Parrish). Can't find any full articles to link to yet, but it sounds legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    A CBSsports.com "Breaking News" banner is reading that Josh Pastner has accepted the head coaching job at Memphis (reports Gary Parrish). Can't find any full articles to link to yet, but it sounds legit.
    Who?