Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Who?
    Former Arizona walk-on/scrub/assistant turned Calipari assistant with extensive AAU connections, including his father.

Who?

Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4047664

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    That is a heck of a risk. Big Big Risk. If this backfires they could go from the penthouse to the outhouse really quick. I am stunned. Even if the thinking is they keep some of the current players and recruits, it is still a huge risk. 31 years old?

Very surprising..

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    That is a heck of a risk. Big Big Risk. If this backfires they could go from the penthouse to the outhouse really quick. I am stunned. Even if the thinking is they keep some of the current players and recruits, it is still a huge risk. 31 years old?

Very surprising..
    The Josh McDaniels of NCAA Basketball coaches. Just Kidding. I can't believe that they didn't have other options out there. I am completely stunned.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    The Josh McDaniels of NCAA Basketball coaches. Just Kidding. I can't believe that they didn't have other options out there. I am completely stunned.

On another note, what happened with Sean Miller? This morning I read where he turned Arizona down, and this afternoon I heard on the radio he took the job. What happened there?

Why not Andy Kennedy?

I really don't understand why Memphis didn't talk to Andy Kennedy of Ole Miss. If you think AZ is creating its own coaching stimulus package, check out what RC Johnson and Memphis have done. I am certainly not surpised to see them unable to land a big name, but Pastner? No head coaching experience and only one year as an assistant to Cal!?

I guess the reality of trying to replicate what Cal did and having to live with a delusional fan base that believes their team is one of the best programs in the country was more than enough for many to turn down the opportunity. But, Josh Pastner? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Devil View Post
    I really don't understand why Memphis didn't talk to Andy Kennedy of Ole Miss. If you think AZ is creating its own coaching stimulus package, check out what RC Johnson and Memphis have done. I am certainly not surpised to see them unable to land a big name, but Pastner? No head coaching experience and only one year as an assistant to Cal!?

I guess the reality of trying to replicate what Cal did and having to live with a delusional fan base that believes their team is one of the best programs in the country was more than enough for many to turn down the opportunity. But, Josh Pastner? Wow!
    I respectfully disagree. What has Andy Kennedy done? He really hasn't done anything there and has gotten in trouble there to boot. Unless he has a history in the Memphis area I don't see that being a better hire.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I know as much about Pastner as anybody, which equals squat. There are a couple things that make sense about the decision thought. One, it will give Memphis some semblance of conitinuity, which the team needs, and two, apparently he is an impressive recruiter, which the program will desperately need. Plus I like seeing schools take chances on young coaches, it worked out well for us. I don't think K was our bottom of the barrel choice as it appears is the situation with Memphis, but it might work out for them in the long run.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I respectfully disagree. What has Andy Kennedy done? He really hasn't done anything there and has gotten in trouble there to boot. Unless he has a history in the Memphis area I don't see that being a better hire.
    Yeah, I'm not sure the bigoted alcoholic theme would play well at Memphis State. Maybe it would.

Pastner has been considered a future head coach since his playing (sitting?) days at Az. He is considered very bright, aggressive and a GREAT recruiter. It is interesting that Memphis pulled the trigger to hire him when there was a LOT of boosters that wanted Josh at Az. I think there was some fallout between Lute and Josh, and Lute guided the search away from Josh (just speculation on my part).

Memphis will be a good spot for Josh. Open recruiting, easy schedule for him to build confidence and a solid record. He may have trouble in the tourney for a few years.

This hire will really hurt UK's recruiting. I wonder how it will impact John Wall's decision?

At least he will be the man having to deal with the sanctions that most likely lie ahead and not the successor.

I think Calhoun probably stays a little longer. But I give about as much credence to coaches staying as players.

It's always a personal thing, and things change. cf. Dean E. Smith, suddenly retiring on October, a week before practice started:

My only guilt, if there is such a word, as I said, is some team, some day would be my last team, and so, yes, there's guilt, and I look in their faces, and I just couldn't handle that yesterday, and I couldn't if I turned right now, but I still believe it's best for them, unless I could give them what I want, but I'm going to work for them. (linky)
    Sometimes it just hits you that it's time. I hope K's time is a long ways away, and he doesn't feel too much pressure to be the best, but feels that he's doing his best.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Pastner has been considered a future head coach since his playing (sitting?) days at Az. He is considered very bright, aggressive and a GREAT recruiter. It is interesting that Memphis pulled the trigger to hire him when there was a LOT of boosters that wanted Josh at Az.
    And a lot of boosters thought he was a. trouble; b. a basketball lightweight; and c. too full of himself to be a good teacher.

I was certainly not in his camp.

I think there was some fallout between Lute and Josh, and Lute guided the search away from Josh (just speculation on my part).
    I can confirm that, to the extent it is confirmable.

Memphis will be a good spot for Josh. Open recruiting, easy schedule for him to build confidence and a solid record. He may have trouble in the tourney for a few years.

This hire will really hurt UK's recruiting. I wonder how it will impact John Wall's decision?
    Those predictions warrant a clear 'wait and see,' as far as I can tell.

Andy Kennedy does not seem like too nice of a guy...Wouldn't even give my three and five year old sons (at the time) a high five after a victory in a holiday tournamnet played in San Juan, PR. My kids and I were amongst a crowd of only 6 people. Everyone else appparently saw my kids because they were willing to give them some love (even the Clemson Tigers who lost a tight game and had reason to be in a bad mood). His antics of the sidelines and negative treatment of players during the game were equally unimpressive.

Also, I do not remember the exact percentage of Mississippi players who were actually recruited there and stayed from the beginning but I recall it being something like only 3 or maybe 4. The rest were JUCO and Division I transfers. I am not sure this is the best way for major college teams to build. Sure bring in a few transfers every now and again, but this reminded me of the shady high school programs that turn over their rosters every season or so. In fairness, I guess if he got a bigger name job he may not have to do this and perhaps he needed to clean house when he got in but still...I was not impressed.

Lightbulb Calipari's Memphis contract clause and recruiting: formidable

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...0202/904100365

A unique clause that provides releases upon request for Memphis commitments!

Best--Blueprofessor