Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 236
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Gary Parrish expects it to be done soon from info he has received

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/11569528

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    As this was discussed a bit on Friday on one of the threads, even if not done or if it falls apart, this is a match made in heaven as you have a institution and a individual who either are desperate to regain the attention and status it once had (i.e. Kentucky) and one who craves the media attention and wants to prove to everyone he can win and win big but who needs a championship to show off to everyone. I know Cal has a nice thing going at Memphis and everyone says how can he walk away from 30+ wins a year and a top recruiting class, but remember he is the big fish in a small pond and will never get the recognition as Coach K, Roy or Pitino until he is the big fish in the big pond. He seems to have a ego the size of the three coaches I just mentioned. Just watch how he talks to go along with his actions during an interview. On top of that, he can bring in the same players, develop the team in a BCS league, suffer a few more loses but in the end it will prep them better for a national championship run to get over the hump. And finally, as for the recruits, correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of them only gave verbals and the committed to the COACH not the school. So if he bolts, they will go with him pending available scholarships and that goes for Wall too.
    Just to clarify, I'm not saying Coach K, Roy or Pitino have excessive egos, though I do think you do need some type of to be a top level coach, but that Cal's ego exceeds the combined ego of them and probably a many other top coaches COMBINDED.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    While not specifically saying he was going to UK, he apparently compared the UK job to the Notre Dame football job.
    Last week, Colin Cowherd said something like "taking the Kentucky basketball job is like dating a woman who's an eight-and-a-half but thinks she's a ten-plus. She's got a lot going for her, but there's absolutely no way you'll ever make her happy."

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Memphis, TN

    Xavier Henry

    The one who will really be left with the short end of the stick is Xavier Henry. Cousins will most likely decommit (or deverbal?) to Memphis. If Cal goes to Ky, I think Evans leaves early as well as Taggart. There will still be some talent at Memphis, but would they let Henry out of his commitment? Although it may be the right thing to do, I don't think it would be smart. Henry is considered to be a one year guy. Whether Cal is at Memphis or not, Henry will still have to prove himself as NBA ready with his one year. It would be to his detriment to sulk if Memphis doesn't release him. Plus, having someone the caliber of Henry coming in makes Memphis a much more attractive job for any new coach.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Calipari Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Last week, Colin Cowherd said something like "taking the Kentucky basketball job is like dating a woman who's an eight-and-a-half but thinks she's a ten-plus. She's got a lot going for her, but there's absolutely no way you'll ever make her happy."
    Absolutely. The state is abuzz right now because it looks like UK is close to making a huge splash.

    But the message board folks over here are already chatting about an Elite Eight and a Final Four next season under Calipari. Nevermind they didn't even make the tournament this season.

    Everything is sunshine and roses in Lexington at the moment, but if Cal doesn't get the Cats really deep into the postseason in 2010, the masses will begin grumbling anew.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inman, SC & Melbourne Beach, FL
    There is an old maxim which UK needs to consider - Be careful what you wish for, you might get it!

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Devil View Post
    The one who will really be left with the short end of the stick is Xavier Henry. Cousins will most likely decommit (or deverbal?) to Memphis. If Cal goes to Ky, I think Evans leaves early as well as Taggart. There will still be some talent at Memphis, but would they let Henry out of his commitment? Although it may be the right thing to do, I don't think it would be smart. Henry is considered to be a one year guy. Whether Cal is at Memphis or not, Henry will still have to prove himself as NBA ready with his one year. It would be to his detriment to sulk if Memphis doesn't release him. Plus, having someone the caliber of Henry coming in makes Memphis a much more attractive job for any new coach.
    Maybe in that scenario, Henry takes the Brandon Jennings route and spends a year making a million bucks in Italy. Or threatens to do so if Memphis doesn't let him out of his LOI.
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Calipari sounds desperate to make this move; makes one wonder if there are some skeletons arising at Memphis.

    Ky may be making a big mistake. Calipari has always played close to the edge with respect to rules, and has attracted the "star" recruits who are most prone to attracting improper benefits. I admit that SO FAR Camby is the only one that was caught, but the one-and-done athlete deserves extra diligence that may not interest Calipari.

    Ky has a truly fanatic following that ratchets up the danger of improper benefits. Tubby kept this element at bay for years. These boosters may be chafing at the bit to re exert their influence and get Ky back to its winning ways.

    Ky also has fanatic haters that will be scrutinizing every move, every coveted recruit. SEC competitors will also relish the opportunity to bring down Ky.

    This could be a exciting ride.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    Absolutely. The state is abuzz right now because it looks like UK is close to making a huge splash.

    But the message board folks over here are already chatting about an Elite Eight and a Final Four next season under Calipari. Nevermind they didn't even make the tournament this season.

    Everything is sunshine and roses in Lexington at the moment, but if Cal doesn't get the Cats really deep into the postseason in 2010, the masses will begin grumbling anew.
    Today, we have sunshine here in Lexington, and Keenland starts its spring meet this Friday!

    The radio folks are talking things up, and have been for the last two weeks. Frankly, I won't believe Calipari is going to UK unless it's official. I'm also troubled by a purported multi-year, multi-million dollar deal at a time when all universities in the state are on hiring freezes, budget slashes, and more.

    To us, now that Duke has a Curry, everything is indeed sunshine and roses here in Bluegrass Country!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Over/Under on number of seasons it takes for UK to be hit with a serious NCAA infraction?

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Over/Under on number of seasons it takes for UK to be hit with a serious NCAA infraction?
    I dunno, but Cleveland State is in serious trouble.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Birmingham of the North
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I dunno, but Cleveland State is in serious trouble.
    POTM.

  13. #53

    Great point...

    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Over/Under on number of seasons it takes for UK to be hit with a serious NCAA infraction?
    but I think the only thing they are looking at right now is the fact that at a dump like Memphis, Cal has been to one championship game, two Final Fours, five Elite Eights, and seven Sweet 16s in (I believe) 9 years.

    It seems that their fans are entirely results oriented, so perhaps this will be a marriage made in heaven. If it happens, they will certainly become a recruiting powerhouse, at least until the problems start.

  14. #54

    Recruiting

    BTW, Rivals already has UK as the #14 recruiting class in the country (Memphis is #1), just ahead of Duke. If Cousins comes over, they would easily crack the the top ten. And since John Wall has Memphis as a possibility, this could get interesting.

    http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...ID=925402#rank

  15. #55

    Cousins and Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    BTW, Rivals already has UK as the #14 recruiting class in the country (Memphis is #1), just ahead of Duke. If Cousins comes over, they would easily crack the the top ten. And since John Wall has Memphis as a possibility, this could get interesting.

    http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...ID=925402#rank
    Maybe Calipari leaving would allow us to be in a better position with Wall and possibly we could get Cousins. Wouldn't that change the equation?

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Maybe Calipari leaving would allow us to be in a better position with Wall and possibly we could get Cousins. Wouldn't that change the equation?
    We are involved with Wall, but have seen no indication of Duke being involved with Cousins.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Durham, NC

    News to come on Cal to UK


  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Here is something to chew on. If the Ky recruits for next year decide they want to stay. Calipari would have to CUT two players to make room for both Cousins AND Wall.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Towson, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Here is something to chew on. If the Ky recruits for next year decide they want to stay. Calipari would have to CUT two players to make room for both Cousins AND Wall.
    3 if Xavier Henry is released by Memphis and also wants to follow Calipari.

    I would think most, if not all, of Kentucky's recruits would still want to enroll at Kentucky. But I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of older guys on the team who don't get much PT suddenly transfer out.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    Wait, is that a live stream of a door that Coach Cal could potentially walk out of? Hilarious.

Similar Threads

  1. Billy Donovan And Coach K
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 12:32 AM
  2. Donovan to Magic...NOT
    By AKG in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 08:07 AM
  3. Donovan to Stay @ Florida; Underclassmen Declare
    By jtmcofc15 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-06-2007, 09:05 PM
  4. Billy Donovan: The Next Coach K?
    By feldspar in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 04:29 PM
  5. Tubby out at UK; Donovan job status?
    By NW Indiana Dukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 10:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •