Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost (4/11)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lost (4/11)

Lamest line of the season:

"She's under my protection."

So of course Juliet is bad. The question is, why did Sayid and Sawyer back down so quickly after she called them out on their previous misdeeds? And why did Sayid say he "doesn't do that anymore" in regards to torture? Didn't he do a number on Benry?

I'm betting they're going after Sun next.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblueyes View Post

So of course Juliet is bad. The question is, why did Sayid and Sawyer back down so quickly after she called them out on their previous misdeeds? And why did Sayid say he "doesn't do that anymore" in regards to torture? Didn't he do a number on Benry?

With Jack soon to be devoid of any political capital after it's revealed that Juliet is indeed up to no good, Sawyer and Sayid are first in line to lead the Losties, so they're likely worried about their reputations. I think they both legitimately care about their little group of castaways and don't want them to lose faith in them.

Sayid is incredibly conflicted when it comes to his "gift" of interrogation. He knows that sometimes it is necessary, but he knows that it changes him and affects him, so he tries to seperate himself from it as much as possible. But I think deep down inside of him he knows it will always be a part of him, he just outwardly denies it.

Good point about Sun. Once Juliet finds out she's preggers (assuming she doesn't already know), it's on.

Or maybe Kate? If they need subjects and don't want to keep killing their own, then the cage incident may have provided them with a perfect opportunity.

i'm not convinced that Juliet is bad. she could be double-crossing Ben, though i don't know yet to what end.

Quote Originally Posted by oso diablo View Post
    i'm not convinced that Juliet is bad. she could be double-crossing Ben, though i don't know yet to what end.
    I agree that this is increasingly possible. I was clear on Juliet being a bad guy right up until they showed us that she was a bad guy. At that moment, a really nice scene by the way, I began suspecting that maybe she is double-crossing Ben. Her flashback did not show her to be someone who respects and admires Ben. I think all she wants to do is get off the island. If she decides that Ben will never let her leave, which is where she has to be at this point, I think she will work against him an work with the Lostaways.

By the way, what a great, great episode!!!

I have not read all of this thread, but did anyone else notice Ben's room? I looked hard at the walls to see what he decorated with. I saw a ton of pictures of his "daughter" Alex. I wonder, how did Ben get these pictures taken and blown up and the such?

-Jason "is there a Fox photo booth on the island?" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    have not read all of this thread, but did anyone else notice Ben's room? I looked hard at the walls to see what he decorated with. I saw a ton of pictures of his "daughter" Alex. I wonder, how did Ben get these pictures taken and blown up and the such?

-Jason "is there a Fox photo booth on the island?" Evans
    Those pics were there when Locke was in his house too. They clearly have access to the outside world- shouldn't be surprising that they get pictures made too.

7. Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Those pics were there when Locke was in his house too. They clearly have access to the outside world- shouldn't be surprising that they get pictures made too.
    Karl developed them. When he's not developing x-rays, he's dabbling in print photography.

Help needed

I just forgot last night--didn't watch it, didn't record. Reading the posts is a bit fragmented--anyone willing to give me a short summary? Thanks.

BCGroup- you could watch it on abc.com- or maybe someone else will take you up on the episode summary- sorry, I don't have time at the moment :-)

thanks

I'll try it online, but a thanks for the person who sent me this link
    http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20034600,00.html

Herarat can be both Earhart and Her a rat. I agree with Jason: the emphasis on her being a bad guy makes it more likely that she is a good guy, at least for the moment.

I'm still not getting how Jack could have mellowed so dramatically towards the Others. Surely it wasn't simply that he became jealous of Sawyer and Kate. He has a huge anti-authority bias--he did turn in his father after all--and his playing ball with the bad guys is puzzling.

Everyone arrives through a storm, apparently, and it doesn't seem to storm on the island. I agree that the submarine could be a plant, though it is a pretty elaborate plant. Do we think that Michael & Son actually got back to civilization? Seems more likely that they are circling the island or something, but if so, shouldn't they have starved or come back? And if they did that, wouldn't Ben be seen as a liar? Has he definitely lied yet?

It could also be Terra Ha, implying perhaps, "Earth? Ha!"

And/Or Herarat could obliquely refer to Ararat, which is where Noah's ark got stuck, a reference that would inform the fertility issue, the casting out of the unrighteous, the use of boats, the needing to expand the two by two thing, and the occasional polar bear.
    Last edited by johnb; 04-13-2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: obsessionality

Have we ever seen the sub in action? I know it was widely assumed that the Others used the sub to get to the sailboat that they took from Sun, Jin, and Sayid (when sun shot and killed that other woman, Colleen) but we never saw it then.

Clearly, when Juliet woke up in her flashback, she was in the sub but we have no way of knowing if the sub actually took her to the island. She had been drugged and has no idea how she got there. I think we can all assume that something about the way the Others get to the island is being hidden. Otherwise, why bother with the tranquilizer scene with Juliet?

I am betting that the sub is NOT how the Others get on an off the island.

Also, there is a school of thought that Locke did not destroy the sub. After all, he is dripping wet when he is on the dock when he blows up the sub. If he just got on the sub, planted his plastic explosives, and then got off then he would not get wet. He only gets wet if he takes the sub somewhere else (perhaps he sinks it in the lagoon?) and then swam back to the dock and set up the explosives so it would appear he was blowing the sub up.

-Jason "as for the issue of 'time' on the island, it feels like something is up, but I have not even begun to figure that out yet" Evans

I think the sub was never operational, and that Juliet did not arrive on the island by sub; she just "woke up" on the sub...

Jack was never leaving on the sub. Ben knew it and that's why Locke was allowed to blow it up...

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    I think the sub was never operational, and that Juliet did not arrive on the island by sub; she just "woke up" on the sub...

Jack was never leaving on the sub. Ben knew it and that's why Locke was allowed to blow it up...
    I agree with this, that they get to the island some other way, although I do think it is operational to an extent (sneaking up on the sailboat earlier this year). There is some other way to get to/from the Island and the Sub was a security blanket for the less connected others like Juliette.

On another note, what about Ben possibly lying to Juliette when he told her that her sister's cancer had relapsed? I was surprised Juliette never thought of it that way. She assumed he lied about the fact they could cure it (until he proved otherwise), but I think he lied about the fact she had it again at all.

I'm really enjoying how they are connecting dots. And if they are backfilling at all (e.g. Ethan's shots in Claire while she slept, Ethan's "improvising"), they are doing a pretty good job of it. However --- I will be VERY pissed if they don't explain Ben's rationale for being so conniving all the time.

Another great episode

That is exactly what I thought at the time, Re: the sub.

A few (of many) questions I have???

-Was all that stuff about Juliet needing to be tranquelized because it was such a rough trip just a way to cover the destination, or could it really be something weird that those not used to it would get very ill or go nuts? Maybe a "time" related problem?

-Did anybody else notice: It says "Male" in the top right corner of the medical report that Ben showed Juliet when he said Rachel's cancer was back? I wonder if that was Ben's medical report. (which would mean that he knew he had cancer.)

-"HERARAT" Aviation, an anagram for Amelia EARHART?" The name on the wall in the airport when Juliet drank the juiced juice. Maybe the skeletal couple in the caves was Amelia & her Navigator?

-Is time extremely slowed down on the island, or sped up? They keep putting in little time references all the time... this episode had Ben saying "We've got some time" to Juliet after the plane crash, & Sawyer saying "We've got all the time in the world" to Juliet when she was retrieving the med case. Any others in this episode?

(bad pun warning) This show has so many layers it is easy to get lost in. (Not that I mind... great entertainment!)
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    -Did anybody else notice: It says "Male" in the top right corner of the medical report that Ben showed Juliet when he said Rachel's cancer was back? I wonder if that was Ben's medical report. (which would mean that he knew he had cancer.)

-"HERARAT" Aviation, an anagram for Amelia EARHART?" The name on the wall in the airport when Juliet drank the juiced juice. Maybe the skeletal couple in the caves was Amelia & her Navigator?
    Good points! I don't know why I believed Ben when he said her cancer re-appeared! That seems like such an obvious answer for how he was able to "cure" her, but not himself.

Great spot on the anagram. I doubt they'll make adam and ever Ameila Earhart, but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    Sometime last year, I had that thought that Amelia Earhart must have crashed on the Lost island, so that's amusing if the show is making a veiled reference to that idea- guess I'm not the only one that thought of it.

I agree - hated that line and the fact that Sayid just accepted it. Why would he accept that? Jack just spent a week with these people, who have tormented, kidnapped and threatened to kill the Losties, and after a week with them he is playing a jolly game of football with them, living peacefully in one of their houses and now saying that Juliette must be accepted as one of them? Sayid is not the type of guy to just accept that and let her join their camp without some answers.

What further bothered me is Jack's explanation as to why he trusts Juliette. Did it ever occur to him that the reason she wants to get off the island so bad is the same reason she would be willing to deceive him - I mean, couldn't Jack consider the likelihood that she wants to leave so bad that she has agreed to a plan devised by Ben that has ulterior motives? Jack is a lot smarter than that (I think).

I also don't buy why Sawyer and Sayid care so much about their reputations that they would let Juliette carry on with her activities without so much as an interrogation as to what is going on with the Others and why Claire needs these drugs.

I thought this episode might have had two subtle messages for loyal viewers but I may be reading too much into things (which is what Lost causes you to do sometimes -(1) the whole episode sets up as the question of whether Juliette is going along for the ride without any master plan, or was the whole thing set-up / planned from the beginning - the same question that viewers have been asking about Lost; and (2) when Sayid says "what makes you think I won't kill you if you don't?", it's almost like the producers saying, viewers, you can't have it both ways, "if we tell you everything about the Others and what's going on on the island, it kills the show (nothing left to find out, why watch?), but if we tell you nothing, you say it kills the show (not enough being revealed each week)." You can't have it both ways. And Jack says at one point - she'll tell you when she's ready ... as the producers will and we have to trust them. Maybe that's too deep of an analysis, but it crossed my mind as I was watching the show.

I did like the backstory because I like when we see the puzzle pieces in terms of timing being filled in. And I think we now know that whatever Juliette is doing is not because she is "in" with the others, it is because she wants to go home. I also thought it gave more color to why Ben is intrigued by Locke and the whole "because I'm in a wheelchair" discussion a few weeks ago. Clearly, it is being driven by the "how did I get cancer HERE?" question.

I hope we are left with more details (but still mystery) surrounding who Jacob is and what the Others are really doing there by the time the season ends. We need to have some info on Locke and the Others in the next episode.

And I wouldn't be very disappointed at this point if Desmond couldn't save Charlie from his apparent fate. He does nothing for the show and is more of an annoyance to me.

Quick question for someone who remembers details better than me. Wasn't Rousseau pregnant with Alex when she came to the island? How did she manage to give birth without dying?