Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Lost (4/11)

  1. #1

    Lost (4/11)

    Lamest line of the season:

    "She's under my protection."

    So of course Juliet is bad. The question is, why did Sayid and Sawyer back down so quickly after she called them out on their previous misdeeds? And why did Sayid say he "doesn't do that anymore" in regards to torture? Didn't he do a number on Benry?

    I'm betting they're going after Sun next.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeblueyes View Post
    Lamest line of the season:

    "She's under my protection."

    So of course Juliet is bad. The question is, why did Sayid and Sawyer back down so quickly after she called them out on their previous misdeeds? And why did Sayid say he "doesn't do that anymore" in regards to torture? Didn't he do a number on Benry?

    I'm betting they're going after Sun next.
    With Jack soon to be devoid of any political capital after it's revealed that Juliet is indeed up to no good, Sawyer and Sayid are first in line to lead the Losties, so they're likely worried about their reputations. I think they both legitimately care about their little group of castaways and don't want them to lose faith in them.

    Sayid is incredibly conflicted when it comes to his "gift" of interrogation. He knows that sometimes it is necessary, but he knows that it changes him and affects him, so he tries to seperate himself from it as much as possible. But I think deep down inside of him he knows it will always be a part of him, he just outwardly denies it.

    Good point about Sun. Once Juliet finds out she's preggers (assuming she doesn't already know), it's on.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeblueyes View Post
    I'm betting they're going after Sun next.
    Or maybe Kate? If they need subjects and don't want to keep killing their own, then the cage incident may have provided them with a perfect opportunity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    i'm not convinced that Juliet is bad. she could be double-crossing Ben, though i don't know yet to what end.

  5. #5
    I think the sub was never operational, and that Juliet did not arrive on the island by sub; she just "woke up" on the sub...

    Jack was never leaving on the sub. Ben knew it and that's why Locke was allowed to blow it up...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeblueyes View Post
    Lamest line of the season:

    "She's under my protection."

    So of course Juliet is bad. The question is, why did Sayid and Sawyer back down so quickly after she called them out on their previous misdeeds? And why did Sayid say he "doesn't do that anymore" in regards to torture? Didn't he do a number on Benry?

    I'm betting they're going after Sun next.
    I agree - hated that line and the fact that Sayid just accepted it. Why would he accept that? Jack just spent a week with these people, who have tormented, kidnapped and threatened to kill the Losties, and after a week with them he is playing a jolly game of football with them, living peacefully in one of their houses and now saying that Juliette must be accepted as one of them? Sayid is not the type of guy to just accept that and let her join their camp without some answers.

    What further bothered me is Jack's explanation as to why he trusts Juliette. Did it ever occur to him that the reason she wants to get off the island so bad is the same reason she would be willing to deceive him - I mean, couldn't Jack consider the likelihood that she wants to leave so bad that she has agreed to a plan devised by Ben that has ulterior motives? Jack is a lot smarter than that (I think).

    I also don't buy why Sawyer and Sayid care so much about their reputations that they would let Juliette carry on with her activities without so much as an interrogation as to what is going on with the Others and why Claire needs these drugs.

    I thought this episode might have had two subtle messages for loyal viewers but I may be reading too much into things (which is what Lost causes you to do sometimes -(1) the whole episode sets up as the question of whether Juliette is going along for the ride without any master plan, or was the whole thing set-up / planned from the beginning - the same question that viewers have been asking about Lost; and (2) when Sayid says "what makes you think I won't kill you if you don't?", it's almost like the producers saying, viewers, you can't have it both ways, "if we tell you everything about the Others and what's going on on the island, it kills the show (nothing left to find out, why watch?), but if we tell you nothing, you say it kills the show (not enough being revealed each week)." You can't have it both ways. And Jack says at one point - she'll tell you when she's ready ... as the producers will and we have to trust them. Maybe that's too deep of an analysis, but it crossed my mind as I was watching the show.

    I did like the backstory because I like when we see the puzzle pieces in terms of timing being filled in. And I think we now know that whatever Juliette is doing is not because she is "in" with the others, it is because she wants to go home. I also thought it gave more color to why Ben is intrigued by Locke and the whole "because I'm in a wheelchair" discussion a few weeks ago. Clearly, it is being driven by the "how did I get cancer HERE?" question.

    I hope we are left with more details (but still mystery) surrounding who Jacob is and what the Others are really doing there by the time the season ends. We need to have some info on Locke and the Others in the next episode.

    And I wouldn't be very disappointed at this point if Desmond couldn't save Charlie from his apparent fate. He does nothing for the show and is more of an annoyance to me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quick question for someone who remembers details better than me. Wasn't Rousseau pregnant with Alex when she came to the island? How did she manage to give birth without dying?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    (2) when Sayid says "what makes you think I won't kill you if you don't?", it's almost like the producers saying, viewers, you can't have it both ways, "if we tell you everything about the Others and what's going on on the island, it kills the show (nothing left to find out, why watch?), but if we tell you nothing, you say it kills the show (not enough being revealed each week)." You can't have it both ways. And Jack says at one point - she'll tell you when she's ready ... as the producers will and we have to trust them. Maybe that's too deep of an analysis, but it crossed my mind as I was watching the show.
    I'm not entirely sure if that was put in their purposefully, but I do like your analysis there, and think it rings very true. I've been very pleased with the pace and frequency that events unfold on the island. I think the clamor about "More, More, Faster, Faster" is just a reflection of the "Me" generation today that wants everything "On Demand". No one wants to wait for anything anymore, and they fail to realize that it's the sometimes slow pace that allows Lost to build up those giant "OH #%@$!!!" moments.

  9. #9
    It seems like they already know about Sun's pregnancy. Kate obviously knows and avoided spilling the beans directly to Juliet, but when Jack first appears on the beach, Sun hugs him and we see them talking and Sun touching her belly. Also, considering how Sun might be pregnant from her affair, and that the Others know pretty much everything from their lives, they might already know she's knocked up.

    I like the analysis of re: telling us everything about the others vs. telling us nothing. Honestly, I was pretty disappointed to find out they were just testing fertility treatments. Although it was intriguing to hear Ben claim he can cure cancer (and can do so off of the island)... this might fit in with Rose somehow?
    Re: Juliet's sister... how do we know Benry wasn't lying in the first place about her cancer's return and the test results?

    I'm also not sure why everyone continues to trust Jack. Granted, I still think he hasn't crossed over to the dark side, but there's no reason for the Beachies to think that. Plus, he's kinda developing a serious case of the crazy eyes.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeblueyes View Post
    Lamest line of the season:

    "She's under my protection."

    So of course Juliet is bad. The question is, why did Sayid and Sawyer back down so quickly after she called them out on their previous misdeeds? And why did Sayid say he "doesn't do that anymore" in regards to torture? Didn't he do a number on Benry?

    I'm betting they're going after Sun next.
    And Jack will likely help them, thinking it's the best way to help Sun.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of sports teams that disappoint in the playoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by oso diablo View Post
    i'm not convinced that Juliet is bad. she could be double-crossing Ben, though i don't know yet to what end.
    I agree that this is increasingly possible. I was clear on Juliet being a bad guy right up until they showed us that she was a bad guy. At that moment, a really nice scene by the way, I began suspecting that maybe she is double-crossing Ben. Her flashback did not show her to be someone who respects and admires Ben. I think all she wants to do is get off the island. If she decides that Ben will never let her leave, which is where she has to be at this point, I think she will work against him an work with the Lostaways.

    By the way, what a great, great episode!!!

    I have not read all of this thread, but did anyone else notice Ben's room? I looked hard at the walls to see what he decorated with. I saw a ton of pictures of his "daughter" Alex. I wonder, how did Ben get these pictures taken and blown up and the such?

    -Jason "is there a Fox photo booth on the island?" Evans

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of sports teams that disappoint in the playoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    Quick question for someone who remembers details better than me. Wasn't Rousseau pregnant with Alex when she came to the island? How did she manage to give birth without dying?
    I don't recall Rousseau ever saying that she gave birth on the island, only that her young daughter was taken from her.

    Wait-- revision. According to Wikipedia, Rousseau was pregnant and had Alex on the island. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danielle_Rousseau

    And according to Lostpedia, she was 7 months pregnant when she arrived on the island. http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Danielle_Rousseau

    I think we may have found a place where the Lost mythology does not hold up to scruitiny. This adds to my belief that The Others (ie: the group Ben heads) were not part of the original mythology of the island as created by JJ and Damon. They are a new invention that the producers came up with in an effort to extend the show's life. As a result, some of what they are and what they are doing may not be consistent with what was originally the Bible of the show.

    -Jason "not that I mind the invention of the Others-- they are a ton of fun!" Evans

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    Quick question for someone who remembers details better than me. Wasn't Rousseau pregnant with Alex when she came to the island? How did she manage to give birth without dying?
    I think "the problem begins at conception," as Juliette says. Therefore, maybe if you get pregnant before you reach the island, you're ok. So when Sun actually became pregnant becomes important (and after the crash, she and her husband weren't exactly close, I think)? Which is why I think Sun might be a red herring and Kate the real target. Juliette was trying to get close to her with the handcuffs...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by GDT View Post
    I think "the problem begins at conception," as Juliette says. Therefore, maybe if you get pregnant before you reach the island, you're ok.
    So then the question remains as to whether what they did to Claire while she was pregnant was just an unnecessary precaution or if the treatment was necessary and only worked because she had conceived before coming to the island.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    So then the question remains as to whether what they did to Claire while she was pregnant was just an unnecessary precaution or if the treatment was necessary and only worked because she had conceived before coming to the island.
    My guess is that it was neither. Juliet was lying when she told that story last night. They wanted Claire's baby to study it. Whether for conception-related studies or for Walt-like pre-cog studies. Remember that Aaron is "special."

    Point is, they wanted the baby. They don't give a damn about Claire.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    So then the question remains as to whether what they did to Claire while she was pregnant was just an unnecessary precaution or if the treatment was necessary and only worked because she had conceived before coming to the island.
    Juliette was lying about treating claire for her benefit. Else, why the implant that makes Claire sick?

    edit- feldspar beat me to it

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    have not read all of this thread, but did anyone else notice Ben's room? I looked hard at the walls to see what he decorated with. I saw a ton of pictures of his "daughter" Alex. I wonder, how did Ben get these pictures taken and blown up and the such?

    -Jason "is there a Fox photo booth on the island?" Evans
    Those pics were there when Locke was in his house too. They clearly have access to the outside world- shouldn't be surprising that they get pictures made too.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    I think the sub was never operational, and that Juliet did not arrive on the island by sub; she just "woke up" on the sub...

    Jack was never leaving on the sub. Ben knew it and that's why Locke was allowed to blow it up...
    I agree with this, that they get to the island some other way, although I do think it is operational to an extent (sneaking up on the sailboat earlier this year). There is some other way to get to/from the Island and the Sub was a security blanket for the less connected others like Juliette.

    On another note, what about Ben possibly lying to Juliette when he told her that her sister's cancer had relapsed? I was surprised Juliette never thought of it that way. She assumed he lied about the fact they could cure it (until he proved otherwise), but I think he lied about the fact she had it again at all.

    I'm really enjoying how they are connecting dots. And if they are backfilling at all (e.g. Ethan's shots in Claire while she slept, Ethan's "improvising"), they are doing a pretty good job of it. However --- I will be VERY pissed if they don't explain Ben's rationale for being so conniving all the time.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I don't recall Rousseau ever saying that she gave birth on the island, only that her young daughter was taken from her.

    Wait-- revision. According to Wikipedia, Rousseau was pregnant and had Alex on the island. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danielle_Rousseau

    And according to Lostpedia, she was 7 months pregnant when she arrived on the island. http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Danielle_Rousseau

    I think we may have found a place where the Lost mythology does not hold up to scruitiny. Evans
    I think it still works. Juliet said something during last night's episode about the problem arising at the time of conception. Neither Claire nor Danielle conceived on the island. Claire, we find out, wasn't really sick at all, and gave birth to a healthy (so big for so young!) baby boy. Danielle gave girth to a baby girl on the island.

    Incidentally, this spells trouble for Kate if her little bear-cage tryst with Sawyer happens to result in a pregnancy.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Those pics were there when Locke was in his house too. They clearly have access to the outside world- shouldn't be surprising that they get pictures made too.
    Karl developed them. When he's not developing x-rays, he's dabbling in print photography.

Similar Threads

  1. It's not LOST....
    By Exiled_Devil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
  2. Lost fix
    By Exiled_Devil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 09:41 AM
  3. Lost 5/2
    By Exiled_Devil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 10:30 PM
  4. Lost 4/18
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 12:12 PM
  5. Lost
    By feldspar in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 12:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •