Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
    Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    I dont care...i've been a duke fan since i've been alive and after seeing G from a 10th row seat at TD Banknorth Gardena against an agressive Villanova team shoot terribly I believe he needs another year. Honestly if he came back and he had the same season combined with people around him stepping up and the new guys stepping in he would be a top 5 pick. He may not have the size of Durant or the speed of Rose, but he has the basketball IQ from his dad and Coach K and the ability to lock down on D and step up on O to become a top 5 pick. I wish him all the best if he is a top 20 pick to some team that uses him 5-10 minutes a game.

All i'm saying is he would be better off playing one more year at duke (probably a very memorable season).

If he stays for that one more season he could be a top 5 pick and have a full duke career to go with it...perhaps a retired jersey and a legacy that could never be achieved by leaving early?

think about it G.

STAY.

Look, I agree that another year might help him in the long run but next year's draft is going to be much deeper. He would have to average probably 23 ppg to go in the top 5 and lead Duke to at least a FF. I hope he comes back like everyone, but let's be real. I just don't see it happening...and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Except Melo won the title and was the 3rd pick in 2003. And Rose was title runner-up in 2008 and the #1 pick. Gerald made the Sweet 16 and is likely 10-20 in the draft.

Let's compare apples to apples, and make sure its on the same continent here.
    Dude, read what he wrote again. He was comparing John Wall, not G, to 'Melo and Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    POST HAS BEEN DELETED
    As a Duke fan, I want nothing more than to watch G play another year in Cameron, to be an all american and to get his number retired. But from a more logical perspective, I totally understand why he might feel some urgency to go now. As others have pointed out, the NBA does not draft based on a past body of work, it drafts on potential. Staying another year will not help G's potential. Also, In the last two years (really the only relevant ones because trends in the NBA draft are streaky) only 3 seniors have been drafted in the top 15. John Hollinger, ESPN's basketball complicated-stat guy, has a very reliable prospect prediction formula in which being a senior is one of the red flags that detracts from a the player's prediction rating. Point is, in 2009 (or 2010) it is a disadvantage to be a senior in the draft.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 04-25-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MADevil30 View Post
    As a Duke fan, I want nothing more than to watch G play another year in Cameron, to be an all american and to get his number retired. But from a more logical perspective, I totally understand why he might feel some urgency to go now. As others have pointed out, the NBA does not draft based on a past body of work, it drafts on potential. Staying another year will not help G's potential. Also, In the last two years (really the only relevant ones because trends in the NBA draft are streaky) only 3 seniors have been drafted in the top 15. John Hollinger, ESPN's basketball complicated-stat guy, has a very reliable prospect prediction formula in which being a senior is one of the red flags that detracts from a the player's prediction rating. Point is, in 2009 (or 2010) it is a disadvantage to be a senior in the draft.
    While there may be truth to that, Brandon Roy played 4 years at UW. He upgraded his status greatly doing so.

I'm sure he's gone. If he were going to stay, it seems that the banquet would have been the ideal venue to announce that. He didn't, and he's ready to announce his decision, so one has to conclude that he's leaving.

I wish G the very best no matter what he chooses. He has all the potential in the world.

However, it infuriates me that it no longer seems even possible to suggest that additional preparation might enhance a rising senior's NBA career. It's as if players such as Hill, Duncan, Battier, Brad Miller, Prince, Salmons, Josh Howard, Andre Miller, West, Lee, Terry, Jameer Nelson and Roy are walking dinosaurs -- the very last of a dying breed.

Quote Originally Posted by stickdog View Post
    However, it infuriates me that it no longer seems even possible to suggest that additional preparation might enhance a rising senior's NBA career. It's as if players such as Hill, Duncan, Battier, Brad Miller, Prince, Salmons, Josh Howard, Andre Miller, West, Lee, Terry, Jameer Nelson and Roy are walking dinosaurs -- the very last of a dying breed.
    First of all, infuriates? Come on, let's settle down a little bit here.

Second of all, if G decides to leave, he's making the best possible choice he can, based on the circumstances. Another year in college would probably enhance his skills, but probably not his draft outcome. It's well established that this year's draft class is relatively weak, therefore it is to G's advantage to come out.

Why would that infuriate you? The kid is taking advantage of the most opportune time to make a career out of playing basketball. I say good luck, we'll miss you and most of all, have some fun out there.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Another year in college would probably enhance his skills, but probably not his draft outcome.
    i dunno about that....if he had the kind of year of domination and skill improvement that , say, ty lawson had, i'd think his draft number would be higher...much higher...

not that it raised lawsons number that much, but he did kick it up ...