Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    We all assumed that he was coming back based on his post tournament statement. If by some chance both he and Henderson do leave, Duke basketball will be in serious trouble next year.
    I think we're also expecting him to come back because he's not NBA-ready yet, by which I mean, he would not be able to make the transition as easily as some players. He's still has a lot to work on, especially because since he is not as athletic as some SFs who go the the NBA, so he will need to be exceedingly skilled.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=26984

I refer to an answer given some time ago.

I take Kyle at his word; he unambiguously indicated that he would retrun and I believe he will.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Technically, Singler has announced he's coming back. He said so in the final post-game press conference. Of course, stated decisions to say can be reversed. So even when you say you're staying, people will often doubt it right up until the deadline.
    what is the deadline to declare

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Typical N&O reporting, they list Ed Davis as saying he will stay. I think they just didn't bother acknowleding Singler's statement either due to ignorance or the lust for the Heels. Today's paper includes the 6th straight day of long praise articles on the Heels success.
    In fairness they did just win a national championship...

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    what is the deadline to declare
    4/26.

I'm Just curious, in some of the other threads people seem to think Singler will leave after next season. Has he ever said anything that would lead people to believe this or is it just a gut feeling by many on the Boards? I feel like his skill will be close to NBA ready by the end of next season but I don't know how he feels about getting a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by johaad View Post
    I'm Just curious, in some of the other threads people seem to think Singler will leave after next season. Has he ever said anything that would lead people to believe this or is it just a gut feeling by many on the Boards? I feel like his skill will be close to NBA ready by the end of next season but I don't know how he feels about getting a degree.
    If he has the season I expect he will have (19 pts 9 rpg, ACC 1st team) I think he will leave.

Barring unforeseen events--like Duke disbanding its basketball team--Kyle Singler will be playing at Duke come November.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Barring unforeseen events--like Duke disbanding its basketball team--Kyle Singler will be playing at Duke come November.
    Now that you mentioned it, does it become a foreseen event?

Mike Corey just sent Kyle Singler to the NBA. Thanks man.

But playing what? Now that he's a junior, he's eligible to show off his quarterbacking skills.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    If he has the season I expect he will have (19 pts 9 rpg, ACC 1st team) I think he will leave.
    Man, 9 boards per game is tough. Kyle has a nose for the ball and is very good rebounder for his size and athleticism, but not even Battier got 9rpg in a season, and boozer barely got there his last year at Duke (8.7rpg). Kyle is average athletically, and I just dont know he can rip 9 boards a game playing in the ACC. That's TOUGH.

I'd take 20 and 8 though (and heck if we get some REAL help from someone else down low, then I'd take 17 and 7 if it meant someone else was getting 10 and 6)

Don't know if this is the right spot

Looking at last years minutes for Singler and the other bigs over 37 games (1OT), makes one wonder how the minutes will be distributed in the 2009/2010 season.

Singler 1193
    Thomas 669
    Zoubek 427
    McClure 568
    Plumlee 165
    Czyz 51

Total 3073 Minutes for the 4 & 5 2970

I think the discrepancy is in McClures minutes where he subbed for Henderson or another guard. If that is true, we are only losing about 468 minutes and we have two players coming in.

I assume Singler will maintain his minutes if healthy, leaving about 1790 minutes for the rest, assuming a similar number of games. My guess is that Mason Plumlee will pick up a substantial fraction of those and Ryan Kelly a smaller but meaningful fraction. That will leave Zoubek, Thomas Plumlee 1 struggling for PT. Only if the 3 position opens up a bit due to a shortage of guards will the bigs get to share more PT.

I'm betting you'll see Zoub and the Plums play the 5 exclusively barring injury or foul trouble. Thomas and hopefully Kelly play the 4 with Singler in some spots. The general feeling is that G is gone meaning Kyle can play 3, as can Scheyer and Ewill depending if we get Wall, Bledsoe or someone else. It also depends if Czyz has any remarkable improvement because size and athletic-wise he'd be a good back up 3.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    I'm betting you'll see Zoub and the Plums play the 5 exclusively barring injury or foul trouble. Thomas and hopefully Kelly play the 4 with Singler in some spots. The general feeling is that G is gone meaning Kyle can play 3, as can Scheyer and Ewill depending if we get Wall, Bledsoe or someone else. It also depends if Czyz has any remarkable improvement because size and athletic-wise he'd be a good back up 3.
    I could also see Thomas play similar role next year as McClure played this year, at least potentially. They are different players in many ways, of course, but Thomas does possess the quickness to guard opposing 3's in certain situations. It will be very interesting to see how the minutes in the post shakeout. It would become extremely crowded if Olek shows marked improvement. I don't think that's a bad thing, though. I just hope that someone jumps out and demands some minutes in the post next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Forget about Bledsoe. He won't qualify. I think we still have a chance with John Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Forget about Bledsoe. He won't qualify. I think we still have a chance with John Wall.
    Did you grade his ACT?

But Mike, we all know he's coming back this November; I think the first poster was talking about the season after next--i.e., will Singler leave in 2010, after his junior year? Am I reading you guys right? Anyway, I don't think any of us know what will happen after next season--heck, we still don't even know what will happen in this off-season. I think anyone talking about Singler leaving is just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    But Mike, we all know he's coming back this November; I think the first poster was talking about the season after next--i.e., will Singler leave in 2010, after his junior year? Am I reading you guys right? Anyway, I don't think any of us know what will happen after next season--heck, we still don't even know what will happen in this off-season. I think anyone talking about Singler leaving is just guessing.
    Thank you. That is what I meant. My guess was that everyone talking about Singler leaving after 2009/2010 had gut feelings, but no facts to support the idea. I, along with most others here, feel Singler will have an excellent season this year. I just keep hoping that he will be one of those old fashioned guys that wants to play in his senior year and get a degree.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Thank you. That is what I meant. My guess was that everyone talking about Singler leaving after 2009/2010 had gut feelings, but no facts to support the idea. I, along with most others here, feel Singler will have an excellent season this year. I just keep hoping that he will be one of those old fashioned guys that wants to play in his senior year and get a degree.
    If you read this thread from the start, it's clear that not everyone KNEW that Kyle was coming back for next year. Johaad may have been making that assumption, and asking his question about the year after next, but others in this thread were not sharing that assumption.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”