Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Huge key, whether we want it to be or not... TAKE THE CHARGE.

...God, I hope the refs call the charge when they see it. I've seen them swallowing those whistles all tourney long.
    Don't take the charge.

The refs aren't calling it. They quit calling it in the ACC Tournament and it has carried over into the Big Dance.

Duke can't afford to flop on the floor for no reason, because it's not going to get called unless it's blatant. Go after the defender and try to alter shots.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Don't take the charge.

The refs aren't calling it. They quit calling it in the ACC Tournament and it has carried over into the Big Dance.

Duke can't afford to flop on the floor for no reason, because it's not going to get called unless it's blatant. Go after the defender (shooter?) and try to alter shots.
    One of my most unpleasant Duke basketball memories is of Shane Battier trying to draw charges in the 1999 Championship game against UCon, and not getting the calls. And there were probably a few times where he could have blocked or altered shots, instead of going for the charge.

Let's hope the coaches get an early handle on the way the game is being called and get the team to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    If the Duke coaches feel they would benefit from a close called game...
    I'm not sure we want a close called game seeing as four of our top eight players, including two starters, are foul prone: Williams, Thomas, Smith and Zoubek. This edition of the Duke Blue Devils can handle physical play.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm not sure we want a close called game seeing as four of our top eight players, including two starters, are foul prone: Williams, Thomas, Smith and Zoubek. This edition of the Duke Blue Devils can handle physical play.
    I'm not sure either - that's why I said "If the Duke coaches feel they would benefit..." I too am unsure about that given the type of defense Duke plays. I think casual fans think Duke plays soft because they don't bang down low as much as other some other teams. But Duke can be very aggressive on the perimeter (with hand checks, etc). I do think, however, that a referee will be more likely to let banging in the paint slide as "let'em play" - then they will hand-checking on the perimeter.

So, I too am unsure if the Duke coaches want a close called game. But I have read it repeated like a mantra for the last few days (in articles, comments, etc). So if the conventional wisdom is true, I think Duke could get the game to be called closer if they so desired (by almost forcing the refs to exert control).

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    I think the players could accomplish this with the first couple of physical shots they take. With the very first overly physical foul Nova makes, I'd like to see a Duke player jump quickly to their feet and stand chest to chest with the Nova player. Nothing more. With the first quick movement the refs will jump in between the 2 players to ensure things don't get out of hand. I think there's at least a 75% probability that the game is called tighter after that, and that "message" fouls are likely rewarded with a technical as the refs assert control of the game. If not, a second incident will almost surely do the trick. It will also most likely throw off the Nova players, who are coming in with the intent to hammer Duke - since they know the refs will be looking to "keep things under control" by cleaning up the rough stuff. I may be over simplifying this, but I've seen it in countless games over the years. I really think it will work. It also establishes that Duke will not back down.
    When I read your post, the player that came to mind to do this "jump up, chest-to-chest" is Lance. I think he's got the mojo to do it well...

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Help! (And Recover)
    By now, it should be clear to everyone that A) Villanova wants to spread and drive against everyone; B) That's generally the way teams attack Duke; and C) Texas was successful with that strategy in the second round. But even if Duke plays its man D as tight as usual, the help can be better and quicker. Everyone needs to talk really well, cut off the lane quickly and then recover and rotate in anticipation of the kickout pass. This is critical, because Villanova is a solid three-point shooting team (although they can be streaky). Duke can't give them a bunch of wide-open looks off kickouts. That's where the recovery part of the equation has to be in top form.

I do think we should consider sagging off a bit *sometimes* to confuse their guards and hopefully rush them into taking some ill advised shots. If we're always tight man-to-man, Nova will go into what I'm sure is their well prepared game plan. If we always sag, then Nova will eventually learn how to adjust. But if we do both enough times, Nova will have to be on their toes and this mental pressure can force the bad shot or the turnover.

Gottlieb's analysis on Nova as a team:

What I Don't Like: Shot selection
    Jay Wright has lived and died with perimeter play throughout his tenure as head coach, and with the advantages of playing three of four guards comes the need for offensive freedom and, at times, poor shot selection. With the exception of Dante Cunningham, no Villanova starter shoots close to 50 percent from the field and the Wildcats are prone to wild shot selection when teams shut off their driving lanes. If you can slow the Cats down and not turn the ball over, they have been prone to shoot themselves out of games.
    (From http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaato...ory?id=4014839)

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    It's an interesting topic, but when the writer ranks Duke 13th out of 16 in regards to PG play, I have to wonder how much he has seen us play lately. Jon Scheyer, now backed up by a rejuvenated (and talented) Nolan Smith has been giving us excellent play at PG. Our turnover margin is outstanding; we force turnovers, but don't commit many; in addition, Scheyer is averaging over 19 pts a game since the lineup change, shooting well from 3-pt and getting to the line frequently.

Villanova has good guards, but it's not like Scheyer hasn't been tested, by teams such as Wake, Florida State, and Texas.
    Scheyer has been tested just fine. I'm extremely confident with him at the point. I don't think that writer knows what he's talking about. He seems like the kind of writer who would overrate scoring PGs failing to see their deficiencies. Scheyer makes good decisions and doesn't turn the ball over...the #1 thing to look for in a PG, not a crossover. And, oh yeah, Scheyer scores pretty darn well too as an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    One of my most unpleasant Duke basketball memories is of Shane Battier trying to draw charges in the 1999 Championship game against UCon, and not getting the calls. And there were probably a few times where he could have blocked or altered shots, instead of going for the charge.

Let's hope the coaches get an early handle on the way the game is being called and get the team to adjust.
    Same here and unfortunately college basketball hasn't gotten any better in regards to calling the game consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Well, it wasn't a close game, but it would've been a tad less humiliating if we could've kept it under 20.