Savvy Scheyer saves best for last

Savvy Scheyer saves best for last
    Front page of Yahoo! Sports under the Headline "Duke's Superman":

Getting the point(s)
    Duke junior Jon Scheyer’s production has increased dramatically since he moved from shooting guard to point guard 11 games ago. Here’s a look at Scheyer’s statistics before and after the switch.

Category
    Before /After
    Scheyer scoring:
    13.1 / 19.1
    Scheyer shooting pct:
    .382 / .464
    Scheyer 3-point pct:
    .350 / .462
    Scheyer assists
    2.9 / 2.5
    Scheyer turnovers:
    1.7 / 1.2
    Duke record:
    20-5 / 10-1

The only thing that's odd about those stats is that his assists have gone down...

I dont think john gets the credit sometimes that he deserves. The guy can do it all and just has a mind for basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    The only thing that's odd about those stats is that his assists have gone down...

That is interesting; it seems to me that Jon often makes the pass that leads to the assist. Kind of an ice hockey thing, where they often credit two assists for a goal.

Also, the scoring since the lineup change is interesting; Jon at 19.1 pts/gm; G is 19.7 pts/gm; Kyle 16.7 pts/gm.

On the regular season, Jon was not named All-ACC or even honorable mention; but was MVP of the ACC Tournament, and perhaps will get more individual honors, like MVP of the Eastern Regional.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Assists are down, but there are fewer shots to be had for others because of all the scoring he's doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukefan4Life View Post
    I dont think john gets the credit sometimes that he deserves. The guy can do it all and just has a mind for basketball!
    This is true... sometimes even on this board. IIRC, in late January, we were discussing Jon's play in the early ACC games and one, or more, posters explained to me that Jon was in a detrimental "slump" that caused him to lose confidence. Some poster(s) sincerely believed that Jon may have never recovered from his early ACC game slump. IMO, it was merely a cold streak that almost all shooters experience and Jon was more than making up for it in almost all other areas of his play.

I'm merely pointing this out to illustrate that some people have been rather quick to point out Jon's weaknesses instead of always focusing on the many, many things he almost always does right.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    On the regular season, Jon was not named All-ACC or even honorable mention; but was MVP of the ACC Tournament, and perhaps will get more individual honors, like MVP of the Eastern Regional.
    It's certainly understandable that Scheyer didn't make all-ACC 2d/3d team, given the wonderful talent throughout the league. That he didn't even rate Hon Mention, however, is testimony to shallow thinking that focuses solely on scoring, with a cursory glance at defense. But only cursory, and even then the bb-IQ-challenged "voters" didn't notice that Scheyer's best-in-nation court awareness made him a very unusual leader on O and D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    This is true... sometimes even on this board. IIRC, in late January, we were discussing Jon's play in the early ACC games and one, or more, posters explained to me that Jon was in a detrimental "slump" that caused him to lose confidence. Some poster(s) sincerely believed that Jon may have never recovered from his early ACC game slump. IMO, it was merely a cold streak that almost all shooters experience and Jon was more than making up for it in almost all other areas of his play.

I'm merely pointing this out to illustrate that some people have been rather quick to point out Jon's weaknesses instead of always focusing on the many, many things he almost always does right.
    I know exactly what you're saying, because I would have that same conversation with friends during that timeframe when his shooting was off. Everyone was giving him a hard time just because he wasn't nailing down the 3s, but for me personally, there was not even one game that I can recall where I wasn't proud of his all-around contributions. Even when he wasn't adding to the score, he was sure as hell making up for it in every other way possible--even things that don't show up on the stats sheet. That kid has the eye of the tiger for 40 straight minutes, regardless of the circumstances.

Glue guy?

I hear a lot about glue guys in college basketball theses days, especially guys like McClure. But mainly glue guy refers to guys who don't score but make the little plays all the time to help the team win. Well Jon is another "Glue Guy" but he is also a scorer so that makes him even better. You don't find glue guys who can score often. I'd consider Battier one of these glue guy scorers as well. They are special players, Jon will be on the first team next year guaranteed.

Airforce Dukie

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    I hear a lot about glue guys in college basketball theses days, especially guys like McClure. But mainly glue guy refers to guys who don't score but make the little plays all the time to help the team win. Well Jon is another "Glue Guy" but he is also a scorer so that makes him even better. You don't find glue guys who can score often. I'd consider Battier one of these glue guy scorers as well. They are special players, Jon will be on the first team next year guaranteed.

Airforce Dukie
    Excellent point. Glue, yes, special, yes. Is Scheyer in same category as Battier? That would be highest praise. Let's all think about this.

Hold on now

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Excellent point. Glue, yes, special, yes. Is Scheyer in same category as Battier? That would be highest praise. Let's all think about this.
    I'm not saying hes as great as a player as Battier but he does have a similar type game, where he does all of the little things and makes big plays that matter and still puts points up. Obviously Battier was amazing at this and it would be waaaay too soon to put Scheyer in the same category, but similar games from different positions on the court. Battier did it from the Forward position and Shceyer is doing good things from the guard spot.

AirforceDukie

Does Nick Calathes of Florida remind anyone else of Scheyer (minus the clutch bone, perhaps)? Similar sized PG, smooth/fluid movements, solid all-around game, high b-ball IQ... heck, he even looks a bit like him. Florida was one of my favorite non-Duke teams to watch this year because of his style of play. However, I do have to say that he hasn't really seemed to have the same late-game "Superman" gene that Scheyer's HS coach referred to.

On a funny but unrelated note: Ryan What's-his-name (the ESPN anchor) just made a point about how important Lawson is to UNC, reminding us how, after all, he is the "first point guard since Phil Ford to win ACC player of the year." Pan camera back to his co-anchor... Jason Williams. Who just stares at him, slowly raising his arms in disbelief. Doh!

Thats awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Does Nick Calathes of Florida remind anyone else of Scheyer (minus the clutch bone, perhaps)? Similar sized PG, smooth/fluid movements, solid all-around game, high b-ball IQ... heck, he even looks a bit like him. Florida was one of my favorite non-Duke teams to watch this year because of his style of play. However, I do have to say that he hasn't really seemed to have the same late-game "Superman" gene that Scheyer's HS coach referred to.

On a funny but unrelated note: Ryan What's-his-name (the ESPN anchor) just made a point about how important Lawson is to UNC, reminding us how, after all, he is the "first point guard since Phil Ford to win ACC player of the year." Pan camera back to his co-anchor... Jason Williams. Who just stares at him, slowly raising his arms in disbelief. Doh!
    I love it when ESPN anchors have no idea what they are talking about I wish I could have seen that. Unfortunatly I'm sitting at my desk counting thousands of numbers and I don't even remember why. Ah to be in NC again where life was esier and I could drive to Durham....
    Airforcedukie

Scheyer and Calathes are a lot alike... although I think that Calathes is a better playmaking PG right now. He's averaging 6 assists on the year and he had a season high of 13 against Georgia. Scheyer's high in his short stint as PG is 5, and while a lot of that has to do with the system, Calathes just has a better eye for the open man (IMO). Scheyer, however, takes less risks and turns the ball over less... so it's kind of a trade-off. They are definitely very similar. Calathes is a bit taller and heavier, and has had more hype about his NBA potential, although like Scheyer, he would have a lot of trouble guarding NBA point guards.

15. Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I hope so, but Scheyer will need to win us a national championship before he can be in Battier's category. I love Scheyer but this is the first time he's been past the first round of the NCAA tourney!

Hilarious b/c I know Ryan STEWART. LOL! Football is his thing. He's my frat brother and played football for Georgia Tech. I'm not surprised Ryan was a bit off on that.

(and as Jay Bilas has alluded to - there's a bit of scripting to some of this - why else would the camera pan back to J.Dub? Don't forget that you're watching ESPN...)