Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Even the MSU head coach just admitted in the post game interview that playing at home made a "huge difference" for her team. Again I say, "WHAT A CROCK!!!"

Yes, MSU had the home-court advantage. Yes, the officials allowed a lot of physical contact. But in the stretch run, when the score was tied at 47, we had two or three offensive possessions with a chance to pull ahead; but each time, our players were extremely weak with the ball when they got it down low--Black let the ball be taken away from her on two straight possessions, and then Joy Cheek had the ball and simply lost control of it to an MSU player. Next thing you know, MSU is up by 6. And on virtually every rebound in the last 6 minutes, Duke was outhustled or outmuscled by opposing players who simply went after the ball harder. Duke did not score a field goal in the last 7.5 minutes. Give the Spartans credit--they fought for and earned this win.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Yes, MSU had the home-court advantage. Yes, the officials allowed a lot of physical contact. But in the stretch run, when the score was tied at 47, we had two or three offensive possessions with a chance to pull ahead; but each time, our players were extremely weak with the ball when they got it down low--Black let the ball be taken away from her on two straight possessions, and then Joy Cheek had the ball and simply lost control of it to an MSU player. Next thing you know, MSU is up by 6. And on virtually every rebound in the last 6 minutes, Duke was outhustled or outmuscled by opposing players who simply went after the ball harder. Duke did not score a field goal in the last 7.5 minutes. Give the Spartans credit--they fought for and earned this win.
    Hard to argue with that, the last two to four minutes were key and we didn't convert opportunities into points.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Stray, I understand what you are saying. I watched that entire stretch carefully as well and an argument can be made that the girls were not up to the challenge physically at the end. Having said all that, I do believe we got hacked repeatedly under the basket when many of our bunnies didn't fall. Call it what you will, but the way the game was called helped out MSU a heck of a lot more than it did us.

A program-killing loss. The last thing Duke had going for it was the lingering perception that it was an elite program. Now that that has been exploded, what talented recruit will touch this program?

I guess we'll just have to wait.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    A program-killing loss. The last thing Duke had going for it was the lingering perception that it was an elite program. Now that that has been exploded, what talented recruit will touch this program?

I guess we'll just have to wait.
    What the hell are you talking about? I'll post on this later but I'll quick point on it now to all the naysayers about McCallie's recruiting and our future. Do you know who we just lost to? McCallie's recruits.
    The program will be just fine.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    This game has pissed me off beyond belief. And I don't use the "p" word very often. I just can't believe the Committee allowed this type of setup whMSU could get to play a 2nd round game at home. What an absolute crock!

MSU 63, Duke 49.
    Crock or not , I am just not impressed with Coach Mac. I don't care where the the game was being played, a number 1 seed just does not lose by 14 points to a number 9 seed. The team was not prepared to play. Or maybe, Duke was not deserving of a number 1 seed.

The Coach has to do better next year in the tournament. I don't care how Duke did in the regular season, she just does not get them ready for the tournament. Didn't Duke lose early last year also ?

Maybe, she was not the right hire for Duke. A few years ago, Duke was mentioned in the same breath as Tennessee and Connecticut...not any more. Yes, I know that Tennessee lost its first round game, but I can guarantee you that they will rise to pre-eminence way, way, before Duke does. I just do not see this coach doing it...just my opinion.

To further touch on my above points...because that ticked me off, this year we
    Beat Maryland, Rutgers, UNC, Stanford, Tennessee
    Earned a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney
    Played in the ACC championship game for the second year in a row.

One loss in the NCAA tourney is not the death knell of our program, we improved greatly over last year and there is no reason to believe it won't continue.

Duke-MSU battles are my least favorite days in sports, other than the day after the season ends.

There was no excuse for Duke being put into the situation they faced tonight. The Spartans were in wait, and won an ugly game.

If nothing else, hopefully this brings closure to the issue.

dukemsu

Not pretty

Missed last 16 shots, no baskets in last 7+ minutes. Finished with 18 baskets, 15 turnovers. Overall shot 27%. Tough to win with that kind of offense.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? I'll post on this later but I'll quick point on it now to all the naysayers about McCallie's recruiting and our future. Do you know who we just lost to? McCallie's recruits.
    Yeah, about that. It was obvious which team had the better game plan tonight, and it wasn't the team prepared by Joanne McCallie. It was also obvious which team had the more talented players tonight, and it wasn't the team assembled by Joanne McCallie. That speaks volumes about the future.

The program will be just fine.
    No, it won't. Well, perhaps in the long run, if we're lucky enough to hire a coach that can rebuild the program. Then again, in the long run we're all dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    It really stinks that this setup allowed MSU to play a home game. And don't think for one second it didn't make a huge difference. The crowd has been rabid for most of the 2nd half, but has really made a difference for the Spartans late in the game.

And yes, this game has looked like a men's Big East game. Extremely physical and that has played into MSU's hands. Duke missed a ton of bunnies in the 2nd half because of all the contact allowed. It's really pathetic.
    Yeah, I think both the location and the officiating made a huge difference in this game. I was really disgusted by, in just one instance, watching Joy get absolutely mauled and no whistle, they had to call a timeout.

I am going to cry.
    what a terrible way for these seniors to go out
    then again, it really brings closure to the G era. While there are still some of G's recruits, the most influential ones are now gone.

I dont care what you say; that is nonsense that Duke had to play on MSU's home floor

Unhappy

So so so so disappointing. I really thought they could make it to the Final Four. What a way for Carrem, Chante, and Abby to go out. I feel bad for them.

The crowd definitely made a difference. It's hard to keep your focus when everyone in the building is against you. This team has played badly on the road all year. But we also had trouble with their defense and couldn't seem to drive the ball inside at all--or hit shots once we got the ball there. Part of that was the "let them play" officiating, but still, they should be tougher. I really thought they were better than this.

Ugh ugh ugh. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure it will leave a bad taste for the returning players as well, and they can use that as motivation.

Women's Loss is BULL!

We need to start a petition. There is no way that we, as a #1 seed should've been playing a #9 seed on their homecourt. How is that fair?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    To further touch on my above points...because that ticked me off, this year we
    Beat Maryland, Rutgers, UNC, Stanford, Tennessee
    Earned a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney
    Played in the ACC championship game for the second year in a row.

One loss in the NCAA tourney is not the death knell of our program, we improved greatly over last year and there is no reason to believe it won't continue.
    I actually watched more women's games this year than in the past. I have to agree with CB&B - the team accomplished a lot this season. Yes, this was a disappointing end to the season, but the team has a lot to be proud of. I hope when the disappointment of the loss passes for them that they can look at the things that they did during the season and get some satisfaction from it.

Thank you, ladies for representing our university well. Thank you Coach P. I look forward to next season.

Real shame

Duke did a lot of great things this year on the way to a 27-6 record and a #1 seed. Nevertheless, the team truly regressed this game. Duke shot 18/67 (27%), which must be the worst postseason performance in a long, long time.

I don’t want to give one game too much importance, but Duke offered Coach P a $600K contract with the expectation that she would build on what Coach G created at Duke. In fact, Coach P came in with the idea that her offensive scheme would be more successful in March, but that certainly doesn’t seem to be working out. It really doesn't matter where they played or how the officials called the game, Duke had to play much, much better.

I don’t know what the solution is, but there is no reason for Duke to continue to have the same problems with turnovers and poor shooting time and time again. The team has way too much talent to have these recurring problems. I wouldn't call it a program-killing loss, and I don't expect huge changes from one year to the next, but the AD is going to have to take a long, hard look at WBB.
    Last edited by miramar; 03-24-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: sp.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBeliever View Post
    We need to start a petition. There is no way that we, as a #1 seed should've been playing a #9 seed on their homecourt. How is that fair?
    A #1 seed should be able to beat #9 anywhere, as long as the team has been properly prepared.

I really think Coach P needs to revise her offensive system. The team looked like an elite team (and #1 seed) on the defensive end, but their offense was well below average the entire season.

Here's the thing. A lot of people that didn't see the game will look at the shooting percentage and think we missed a ton of outside shots and didn't look to get the ball inside. But the truth is we did get the ball inside - plenty. We just got mauled every time and the refs swallowed their whistles. This was actually a game where we needed to be able to hit the outside shots simply because going inside was more difficult that shooting 20 footers (due, again, to the way the game was officiated). Unfortunately we just didn't have enough players step up and hit those outside shots. We did the right thing by getting the ball inside. But it's hard to hit shots when people are allowed to maul you.

As for the program's future, I'd be lying if I didn't say the same thought about recruiting suffering a bit didn't cross my mind. I don't think this is a program killer, per se, but we certainly didn't do ourselves any favors in that regard either. Gonna be interesting to see if Coach P can push this team to a Final Four birth next year. I hope so, because we can't afford another 2nd round exit in 2010 and expect to get elite recruits.