Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I wholeheartedly agree steely. Am I wrong, or did he not see the floor in Game 2?

He did not see a second of PT. Grant had a nice game though: 21pts, 8reb, 4ast, 1to

Ive noticed in the last couple games JJ is consistently the player closest to the coaches on the bench. Not always at first but after a little he slides down there and parks it. He is clearly frustrated, but the problems for the Magic have not been scoring points: they've put up 90+ on the pistons, a good defensive team, so I wouldn't expect to see Hill put him in...

Then again Hill rarely follows conventional logic so who knows...

Conclusion: JJ is either injured or the coach is an idiot or both! Oh, Oh, maybe the coach is attempting to throw the game?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Conclusion: JJ is either injured or the coach is an idiot or both! Oh, Oh, maybe the coach is attempting to throw the game?
    My sources say he is healthy, ready to contribute, and frustrated at his lack of playing time.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

JJ's playing time

I would like to express a contrary view about JJ's playing time. Let me preface my opinion by saying that JJ is my favorite Duke player of the last 20 years, and that I have watched more than half of the Magic's games this year.

I don't think that JJ has earned more playing time as yet. Offensively, he has played well at times. I think he a batter shooter than his current numbers suggest, and that in the future (with more playing time) he will shoot a better percentage- no doubt the Magic need him as an outside threat.

That said, right now JJ's defense is not good enough to earn him major minutes at the 2-guard position. He struggles to defend average to above-average NBA 2's, most of whom are bigger and quicker. This is compounded by the fact that that Magic often have a defensive liability at the point as well. It will be interesting to see whether the Magic continue to start Jameer Nelson next year, or look to bring in a bigger player and then bring Jameer off the bench. Doing so (along with an injury-free summer for JJ to work on his game) may help JJ get more time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    I don't think that JJ has earned more playing time as yet. Offensively, he has played well at times...
    That said, right now JJ's defense is not good enough to earn him major minutes at the 2-guard position. He struggles to defend average to above-average NBA 2's, most of whom are bigger and quicker.
    While I can't laud JJ as anything other than a slightly below average defender at this point, I will say I've actually been pleased with his defense this year based on what I thought he would and wouldn't be able to do on defense in the NBA. In other words, he's better right now on D than I thought he would be. And while his man D isn't very good, his help D is very good!

As for the offense, he will continue to see his percentages go up - IF he gets more pt. Right now, I definitely think he's earned the right to be playing in this series with the Pistons. At least 5 or 6 minutes per half. Brian Hill is just a horrible coach who definitely has JJ, along with many of the other Magic players, ticked off. He's got to go.

I would think that the coach would think "well, what are doing isn't working, better try something else." Apparently not, however.

Jameer appears to me, from viewing about 15 games all year, to be a serious liability to Orlando. IMO, he does not bring that many skills vs his shortcomings.

wasn't the knock on JJ in the past that his legs wore down by the time the post season came around?

Now, he's fresh, just in time for the playoffs! Bring him in!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I would think that the coach would think "well, what are doing isn't working, better try something else." Apparently not, however.
    I was trying to address this point in my post above when I said:

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    the problems for the Magic have not been scoring points: they've put up 90+ on the pistons, a good defensive team, so I wouldn't expect to see Hill put him in...
    Normally you would think that the coach would say "lets mix it up a little," but their problem is that they are giving up too many points. Maybe he'll try and out score him by putting JJ out there thinking he can light it up, but more likely he'll try and slow the pistons down on D, and we know JJ's not gonna get the call if they're looking for D.

I have also seen about half their games, and I agree. He can drive to the basket, but is limited on defense. I would rather see Carlos Arroyo at the point, or Keyon (sp?) Dooling if you need some height.

He did not see a second of PT. Grant had a nice game though: 21pts, 8reb, 4ast, 1to

Ive noticed in the last couple games JJ is consistently the player closest to the coaches on the bench. Not always at first but after a little he slides down there and parks it. He is clearly frustrated, but the problems for the Magic have not been scoring points: they've put up 90+ on the pistons, a good defensive team, so I wouldn't expect to see Hill put him in...

Then again Hill rarely follows conventional logic so who knows...
    The Orlando/Detroit game just started and JJ is one spot away from being the closest to the coaches, and the announcer just said that due to Detroit's constant doubling of Dwight Howard and Orlando's poor spacing in recent games we may see JJ tonight! (im hoping thats inside info)

Turn it to TNT ASAP!

The Orlando/Detroit game just started and JJ is one spot away from being the closest to the coaches, and the announcer just said that due to Detroit's constant doubling of Dwight Howard and Orlando's poor spacing in recent games we may see JJ tonight! (im hoping thats inside info)

Turn it to TNT ASAP!

That will probably not happen... it would be too smart of a coaching move.

Hill has already said nothing will change in this game; JJ always works his way up to the coaches on the bench.

Listen, the VAST VAST majority of Orlando fans hate Coach Hill. I read a few message boards just to keep tabs on JJ, and MAN they just HATE that coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hill has already said nothing will change in this game; JJ always works his way up to the coaches on the bench.

Listen, the VAST VAST majority of Orlando fans hate Coach Hill. I read a few message boards just to keep tabs on JJ, and MAN they just HATE that coach.
    Sorry for the tease...I was hoping the announcers comment mean he had some inside info...

It's worth it to mention that Steve Kerr was doing the announcing and he and Marv Albert discussed at length the prospect of Redick getting playing time and the similarities between Kerr and Redick at this point in their careers.

Well, the Magic lose again. They scored all of 77 points. Sounds as though they need a shot of offense (or as Rick Majerus says, o-fense). Pity they don't have a scorer they can bring off the bench. Maybe they can draft a three-point shooter, then not play him. Sounds like a plan to me.

Angry

....or maybe the most prolific college 3 point shooter.

the NBA sucks on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by powellhill1981 View Post
    It's worth it to mention that Steve Kerr was doing the announcing and he and Marv Albert discussed at length the prospect of Redick getting playing time and the similarities between Kerr and Redick at this point in their careers.
    Indeed they did, and Kerr also immediately said that JJ is better than he was because he is more athletic and can get his own shot off the dribble.

JJ's finally in, he started the 2nd quarter with the 2nd unit. Hasn't done much yet on offense, but he's guarding murray (whose playing PG) and just stripped him twice in a row on drives. But he's obviously a liability on defense so he'll get pulled with about 6 or 7 min left in the quarter...