Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post
    Right cause it really doesn't make since to put the all-time leading scorer at Duke on that list.

My list:

Redick
    Battier
    Laettner
    Gminski
    Hurley

Second Team:

Boozer
    Singler (Maybe not right now, but in the future...)
    Hill
    J. Williams
    Duhon

I am a VERY biased to the newer players because I am bit younger.

Still, I give a lot of credit to Gminski as he is one of Duke's leading scorers.
    Here are my thoughts: Move Hurley in from List #1 to list #2 (replacing Duhon) and put Dawkins on the first team. Move Gminski from list #1 to list #2 (replacing Singler), put Heyman on list #1, and put Ferry on list #2 replacing Boozer. So we have (listed in no particular order and not assigned by position):

First Team: Redick, Battier, Laettner, Heyman, Dawkins

Second Team: Ferry, Gminski, Hill, J.Williams, Hurley

Always a fun discussion!

My list for consideration on the all time Duke team:

Heyman, Mullins, Gminski, Dawkins, Amaker, Ferry, Laettner, Hill, Hurley, Battier, Boozer, JWill, Duhon, Redick, The Landlord.

G Henderson, Singler, and all Scheyer may be added once their careers are complete...all three have untapped potential. Imagine where G will be with another year of growth if he stays. Imagine Scheyer as a senior floor general. Imagine Singler's toughness and tenacity in a Duke uniform for 2 more years...But for right now I'll just consider players past.

I did not consider anyone staying for 2 years or less (thus no Brand or Deng). I included everyone (I think) who has had their number retired. I gave a little oomph to Amaker for his role in building Duke to what it has become, both as a player and later as a key assistant (not fair, but I love Amaker, so there you are). I gave a little boost to the championship team players as well.

There are so many other players who have had wonderful careers and helped to make Duke history what it is (Carrawell, Langdon, Wojo, Capel, McCloud, Dunleavy Jr, Spanarkle, Banks, Parks, Brickey, James, etc...) that it kind of hurts to leave them off the teams...

From that list:
    1st team
    Hurley
    Dawkins
    G
    Ferry
    Laettner

2nd team
    JWill
    Redick
    Battier
    Heyman
    Gminski

3rd team
    Amaker
    Duhon
    Mullins
    Boozer
    the Landlord

Yes,, it is always a fun discussion. That is, until I notice that no one has mentioned my #1 on the list, Dick Groat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Yes,, it is always a fun discussion. That is, until I notice that no one has mentioned my #1 on the list, Dick Groat.
    You're right...that's a HUGE oversight on my part. I kept looking at my lists and feeling I'd left someone important out. Thanks! Not sure where I'd put him (probably second team, given my own baises), but he should definitely be in the discussion for top 5 all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I was surprised that Groat wasn't on Heyman's list to begin with.

We have been bless by so many great players over the years, in every decade of Duke basketball. May the trend, and discussions, continue forever!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Unforunately for me, I only can go back to the mid 80s. So I think my first team would be:

Christian Laettner
    Grant Hill
    Jason Williams
    Johnny Dawkins
    Shane Battier

I think a lot of Bobby Hurley and it was damn hard to leave him off this list. Likewise for Elton Brand, but I left him off because he was only at Duke for 2 years.

I think it says a LOT about the program through the years that there are so many players to consider.

scoring

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post
    Right cause it really doesn't make since to put the all-time leading scorer at Duke on that list.

My list:

Redick
    Battier
    Laettner
    Gminski
    Hurley

Second Team:

Boozer
    Singler (Maybe not right now, but in the future...)
    Hill
    J. Williams
    Duhon

I am a VERY biased to the newer players because I am bit younger.

Still, I give a lot of credit to Gminski as he is one of Duke's leading scorers.
    Since you put a lot of emphasis on scoring, you may want to consider scoring averages as well as total points.

Here's the scoring average list
    Art Heyman 25.1
    Dick Groat 23.0
    Bob Verga 22.0
    Jeff Mullins 21.9

Redick averaged 19.9 with Randy Denton, Jason Williams, Johnny D and Mike G also averaging 19+. Heyman also averaged about 11 rebounds a game. So, he averaged a double double (25/11) pretty much night in/night out. No one has ever been more productive. I realize you are more familiar with more recent terrific players but I can't see anyway to leave Heyman off the list.

Redick played 60! more games during his career than Heyman. The scoring total would not have been close had Heyman been able to play as a freshman and enjoyed the extended schedule that current squads have.

One could easily put Groat on the first team, too. Only consideration might be that he didn't play in the ACC era.

Bob Verga would probably be a better comparison to JJ than Dawkins by the way. If there had been a 3 point line, his career totals would have been much higher. He too could not play as a freshman at that time. Regarding another post, Dawkins did have a very short 3 point line for his freshman year and he made 19 of 54. Not sure that shot was a big part of his game, but I would agree his defensive prowess and ability to get his own shot (and to take and make the big shot) would put him ahead of JJ on my list.
    Last edited by dball; 03-23-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added info

All-time teams are difficult because it depends on whether we are only considering peak value or factoring in the duration that someone played at a particular level.

But whatever the criteria, Grant Hill is on my 1st team - best Duke player I've seen.

I am old enough

to have seen Heyman play for one year. He is on my all time Duke team. He was a great player.

I guess the others are
    Laettner
    Hurley
    Hill
    Brand

If I can't have Brand because he only played two years, then Dawkins.

Did not see Groat.

It is hard not to put Jason Williams or Boozer or Ferry or Battier on the team.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    Since you put a lot of emphasis on scoring, you may want to consider scoring averages as well as total points.

Here's the scoring average list
    Art Heyman 25.1
    Dick Groat 23.0
    Bob Verga 22.0
    Jeff Mullins 21.9

Redick averaged 19.9 with Randy Denton, Jason Williams, Johnny D and Mike G also averaging 19+. Heyman also averaged about 11 rebounds a game. So, he averaged a double double (25/11) pretty much night in/night out. No one has ever been more productive. I realize you are more familiar with more recent terrific players but I can't see anyway to leave Heyman off the list.

Redick played 60! more games during his career than Heyman. The scoring total would not have been close had Heyman been able to play as a freshman and enjoyed the extended schedule that current squads have.

One could easily put Groat on the first team, too. Only consideration might be that he didn't play in the ACC era.

Bob Verga would probably be a better comparison to JJ than Dawkins by the way. If there had been a 3 point line, his career totals would have been much higher. He too could not play as a freshman at that time. Regarding another post, Dawkins did have a very short 3 point line for his freshman year and he made 19 of 54. Not sure that shot was a big part of his game, but I would agree his defensive prowess and ability to get his own shot (and to take and make the big shot) would put him ahead of JJ on my list.
    And Bubus would have to put Mullins on the bench sometimes to make sure Heyman got his lol..
    Verga was the best pure shooter I'd seen till JJ.. There was a great Sports Illustrated artical on Verga back in the day.. "The Lonely Hours of a Star" .. about 1966

Jack Marin needs a little love here

If you throw out Jack Marin's sophomore year when he was playing behind Mullins, you find a player who averaged about 19 points a game. He shot 50% from the floor and 75% from the line. The link doesn't show rebounds and other stats from those years, but he was, at 6-7, 200-210, an excellent rebounder.

And, if anyone remembers a thread about 2 years ago, Bubas is quoted as saying that Jack was the best all-around player he coached -- including Heyman, Mullins, and Verga. Jack was one of Duke's best. Plus, he was left-handed and nearly impossible to guard. His long NBA career attests to how good he was.