New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB: Duke 83, Austin Peay 42 (NCAAT 1R)

Duke kicks off it's tourney run today at 2:30. I'm hoping it will be the blowout it should be, but you never know. What I'm most concerned about is seeing how we look after such a long layoff. It's been 3 weeks since the ladies played a game. Will Abby still have her outside shot that was coming back to life? Will we be the team that only turned it over 8 times in the ACC finals, or will we go back to the careless mistakes that marked most of the season? I'm sure our defense will be as intense as ever. I don't know anything about Austin Peay other than their great cheer, but it will be good to see us against that is unfamiliar.
    Game at 2:30, ESPN.

GO DUKE!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Abby's out with a sprained knee, and may be out Tuesday if we win today.

40-19 halftime

This is a good score for what is almost an exhibition after a long time off. The shooting improved at the end of the half to 47%, including 2/7 for three pointers after starting out 0/5.

The defense only allowed 7/29 (24%), so there was no letdown on that front.

UConn scored 104 points today, but fortunately that would not be a concern until the national semi-final. The Final Four looks like the Huskies Invitational at this point.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Scary to see Joy get hurt, I'm surprised they brought her back in with the score, but she just had a great layup so I'd say she's ok. GO DUKE!!! They are looking good. A little sloppy in the second, but still looking good.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Also good to see Scheer get some minutes, haven't been able to watch her much. She sunk a three early, and airballed one.
    The airball was followed by a pretty funny chant.
    "Aiirballllll, aiirballlll, aiiballllll...you suck!" Nice twist at the end, not sure if was from the Peay fans or Michigan State.

83-42 Final

Pretty much an expected beat down, but it was good to see the team looking like they are still playing the same basketball we ended the regular season with. Lots of errors in the second half, but anytime you have such a big lead it's hard to maintain focus. Everyone on the team who dressed for the game scored, it's great to see the freshmen able to get some minutes.

Nice start

That was a really good beginning. No one played more than 20 minutes, so they should be more than ready on Tuesday.

I'm not sure if this was discussed elsewhere, and apologize if it has been, but a #1 seed should NOT be shipped out to play in the home arena of the #9 seed. Michigan State did not earn that advantage and Duke has earned the right to avoid playing a second round hostile road game.

I know there's nothing that can be done about it, and Duke should still win Tuesday's game, but it's bothering me and I wanted to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm not sure if this was discussed elsewhere, and apologize if it has been, but a #1 seed should NOT be shipped out to play in the home arena of the #9 seed. Michigan State did not earn that advantage and Duke has earned the right to avoid playing a second round hostile road game.

I know there's nothing that can be done about it, and Duke should still win Tuesday's game, but it's bothering me and I wanted to vent.
    Seems like it's a factor of having so many of the top teams from the East (aside from Oklahoma and Stanford), right? Someone has to play at other sites, and from a money-making standpoint, it might as well be a place close to home for one of the teams so that they can sell some tickets. Given that we were the last one-seed, I'm not sure if there was anywhere else to put us. Maybe we could have gotten a more favorable location if we were a 2-seed? Anyhow, like you said, there's nothing that can be done about it, except just play the game regardless of whether the crowd's on our side or not.

The list of pod sites are on ncaa.com. Where should they have placed Duke, remembering that they were the last number 1 seed?

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    The list of pod sites are on ncaa.com. Where should they have placed Duke, remembering that they were the last number 1 seed?
    The issue isn't where should they have placed Duke. It's where they shouldn't have placed Michigan State. You simply shouldn't put a lower seeded team on their home court. The #1 seed should not have to play the home team in the 2nd round.

And yes, I understand they want a home team so they can sell tickets, but it seems to me if the powers behind NCAA women's basketball want credibility for the sport, they have to make credible decisions. If the purpose of the NCAA tournament is to crown a national champion then creating a fair atmosphere for the teams who have earned high seeds should take precedence over making a little more money. Otherwise it doesn't mean anything.

And, by the way, if you don't care about any of the above and just want an answer to your question, it would be infinitely more fair to put number one seed Duke in Chattanooga, Bowling Green, Baton Rouge, or even Duluth (or anywhere else for that matter) rather than make Duke play a road game in East Lansing.

Or, really, I suppose they should have put Duke in Iowa City and Oklahoma in East Lansing, since they set up Oklahoma to play a road game in the 2nd round as well (Oklahoma just got lucky when Georgia Tech upset Iowa in the first round).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The airball was followed by a pretty funny chant.
    "Aiirballllll, aiirballlll, aiiballllll...you suck!" Nice twist at the end, not sure if was from the Peay fans or Michigan State.
    It was the Peay band. I suppose one has to acknowledge their spirit, but when you're already down 20 points or so, "... you suck!" rings a little hollow.

And yes, I understand they want a home team so they can sell tickets...
    That's the incentive to be a host site. I believe that the host sites are designated at least a year in advance. The placement rules then say that if a host team makes the tournament, they get to stay at home.

Part of the problem this year seems to be that the tournament has 16 host sites rather than 8. As a result, there are only 4 teams at each host site, so they all have to be in the same region. The S-curve then dictates who goes to each host site. It's the tail wagging the dog, but the host sites dictate placement more than the top seeds do.

Last year, there were only 8 host sites. We played at College Park -- not an experience I'd particularly care to repeat -- because it was one of the closest sites, but our games were in a different region than Maryland's.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
    That's the incentive to be a host site. I believe that the host sites are designated at least a year in advance. The placement rules then say that if a host team makes the tournament, they get to stay at home.

Part of the problem this year seems to be that the tournament has 16 host sites rather than 8. As a result, there are only 4 teams at each host site, so they all have to be in the same region. The S-curve then dictates who goes to each host site. It's the tail wagging the dog, but the host sites dictate placement more than the top seeds do.

Last year, there were only 8 host sites. We played at College Park -- not an experience I'd particularly care to repeat -- because it was one of the closest sites, but our games were in a different region than Maryland's.
    In other words, given the seedings there was no other place for Duke. Not that it's fair but the rules dictate that Duke plays in East Lansing.