Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Sounds like we can expect 'Nova to try the same physical intimidation tactics they used on UCLA. There's always the perception that the ACC, and Duke in particular, is "soft". One thing that really impresses me about our team, though, is that these guys do not back down. Our team can mix it up with anyone, and 'Nova's going to find that we push back, hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim* View Post
    Anyone know which session our game is on Thursday? Has that been announced yet? I might have a time conflict and I'm kind of freaking out..
    see? this is my problem too....can't the almighty CBS set the schedule so we can all see it on selection sunday?

i was just lucky we are going to thurs-sat this week....cause i definitely have a conflict for friday sunday...

and, while i love my job, i am ashamed to say that a few of my clients don't give a rat's patootie about basketball...

i know...

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    "This game was Big East basketball in a nutshell," Wildcats forward Dante Cunningham said.
    [/I]
    God, I hate Big East basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    see? this is my problem too....can't the almighty CBS set the schedule so we can all see it on selection sunday?

i was just lucky we are going to thurs-sat this week....cause i definitely have a conflict for friday sunday...

and, while i love my job, i am ashamed to say that a few of my clients don't give a rat's patootie about basketball...

i know...
    I agree!

If it's the 7pm game then I'm screwed, but if it's the 9:30pm game then it's all good.
    But whenever something is 50/50 it never fails that I'm on the losing end of it, hah.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

tougher team wins

This is not a good matchup for Duke. Vill is tough, long, smart, and athletic. I think Duke is a year away from being able to beat a team like Vill. Duke is going to have a tough time defending the wildcats, the officials are going to be a huge part of this game. I think Duke is going to have a tough time dealing with the length and speed of the Vill defense while on offense.

I think Duke has to be really hot from outside to win this one. While Duke is showing some toughness and strives to be tougher, Vill is TOUGH. And IMO that toughness will carry the day.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    As for things we can control, I keep wondering whether Z will be a factor in this game or not. It appears Nova has at least one highly productive big man but they are so guard oriented that I'm inclined to think K will go small, with Singler and even McClure guarding their bigs. I would love, LOVE to see us play a jordan rules-typle man defense in this game, with all the perimeter defenders routinely pinching off seams when the teammate on either side of them is guarding the ball. Nova shot the 3 very well against UCLA, we need to force them to have to repeat that performance to beat us. If they can generate big offense off dribble penetration and dishes for dunks, we're in big trouble.
    Villanova is a very small team. Their "big" guy is about the same size as Singler, and is more in the Damion James mold of inside/outside player. Given their style of play and lack of focus on dumping the ball to the blocks, I really don't see a big role for Zoubs (short of foul trouble for our other bigs) on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    Singler should cause matchup problems and he and Henderson have got to get their minds right for a night full of taking the ball strong to the whole and absorbing contact. We will not win this game if those 2 guys settle for jumpers all night. We need good, quick perimeter ball movement in order to attack the seams in their defense and we need to lock up our defensive boards, so they don't get second-chance points.
    I actually don't see this game as a matchup advantage for Singler. If they put Cunningham on Singler, that's a wash - Cunningham is just as big and as quick as Singler, and is comfortable defending in the paint or on the perimeter. Not that I think Singler is overmatched, just that he's not going to cause matchup headaches.

Villanova loves to attack off the dribble, and defending the drive has not been a strength of ours. So we're going to have to play very good help defense. On the other end, Villanova is going to reach, bump, and claw at us, so we're going to have to be strong with the ball. I think in terms of talent, it's a fairly even matchup. Both teams focus their talent on the wings, with both relying on undersized forwards to do the work in the paint. Should be fun. Hopefully, we come out on the right end of this one.

Now, it's time to root for the upsets today!

"If it's the 7pm game then I'm screwed, but if it's the 9:30pm game then it's all good."

i gots the same concerns.

Common Opponents

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Villanova is a very small team. Their "big" guy is about the same size as Singler, and is more in the Damion James mold of inside/outside player. Given their style of play and lack of focus on dumping the ball to the blocks, I really don't see a big role for Zoubs (short of foul trouble for our other bigs) on Thursday.

I actually don't see this game as a matchup advantage for Singler. If they put Cunningham on Singler, that's a wash - Cunningham is just as big and as quick as Singler, and is comfortable defending in the paint or on the perimeter. Not that I think Singler is overmatched, just that he's not going to cause matchup headaches.

Villanova loves to attack off the dribble, and defending the drive has not been a strength of ours. So we're going to have to play very good help defense. On the other end, Villanova is going to reach, bump, and claw at us, so we're going to have to be strong with the ball. I think in terms of talent, it's a fairly even matchup. Both teams focus their talent on the wings, with both relying on undersized forwards to do the work in the paint. Should be fun. Hopefully, we come out on the right end of this one.

Now, it's time to root for the upsets today!
    Villanova lost to Georgetown and Texas and had one close win against St Johns- teams that Duke beat. I don't think that means anything- but does give some idea of how Duke stacks up with them. This will be a game of toughness as other have said- but Duke has shown a lot of toughness in the last 10 games- even the UNC loss- so I think this will be a very good/close game. It will come down to making plays at the end and as always a little luck.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Villanova lost to Georgetown and Texas and had one close win against St Johns- teams that Duke beat. I don't think that means anything- but does give some idea of how Duke stacks up with them. This will be a game of toughness as other have said- but Duke has shown a lot of toughness in the last 10 games- even the UNC loss- so I think this will be a very good/close game. It will come down to making plays at the end and as always a little luck.
    Nice pull.

'Nova's first round game

against American was much closer than the final score indicated.

American frankly out-toughed 'Nova for about 30 minutes, getting to most loose balls, and hitting open shots. they just ran out of gas. and interestingly enough, 'nova didn't get the much smaller American team into very much foul trouble.

...oh, and the game was essentially a home game for them...disappointing that they were regionally protected as a 3 seed

I agree that they will try to be physical with us...but if we can handle that, we will be ok.

i like duke's toughness right now....Nova will be a tough game just as ANY of the games will be tough..

i just love the way duke is playing right now...i think they learned a few things in the win last night too..

This is the first of hopefully many Big East -ACC matchups in the Tournament.

I like this matchup, though, because we can start our normal five (Scheyer, Smith, Williams, Henderson, and Singler). If we play good defense throughout the game, instead of intermittenly like we did against Texas, we should roll.

2 things

1) There could be worse matchups than 'Nova in the Sweet 16. They were physical against UCLA, but I don't see that as their calling card. UCLA was weaker this year, cowered early, and the game was done. I don't see Duke caving that easily to physical contact.

2) If officiating is going to play a major role as seems to be the general opinion, can K get anything done with the officials? If they are hell-bent on calling a game that is to Duke's disadvantage, the Devils could be in trouble.

I will be disappointed to exit against a Big East team, but I have always believed that anything past the Sweet 16 for this year's team would be a bonus.

hmmm, as it think about it, game time will probably depend of if pitt advances or not. lowest seed gets the first game, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post
    This is the first of hopefully many Big East -ACC matchups in the Tournament.

I like this matchup, though, because we can start our normal five (Scheyer, Smith, Williams, Henderson, and Singler). If we play good defense throughout the game, instead of intermittenly like we did against Texas, we should roll.
    I doubt there's a change in the starting lineup. Lance Thomas will likely start. Nolan Smith should get plenty of minutes; he's playing well now.

Villanova looked really good against UCLA yesterday, but not so good against American in the 1st round.

It's a good matchup, deserving of the big stage; ACC--Big East, good coaching, teams similar in size, local guy Gerald Henderson playing against 'Nova, high stakes.

Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "If it's the 7pm game then I'm screwed, but if it's the 9:30pm game then it's all good."

i gots the same concerns.
    We play Thursday. Times will be announced after the conclusions of today's 5ish games.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Play ZOUBS!

All those times in last night's second half when Ward drove to the basket, big Z was on the bench in foul trouble. If we're going to face a team that drives to the basket, we need Z in the paint ready to greet them. Zoubek is playing the best ball of his career by far, and I think we need to use him. Once again, let's dictate the style the opponent uses, rather than the other way around. I'd remind Zoubek that his value in the middle on defense is more having him rebound, intimidate and alter shots than blocking every single one. He's going to have to practice all week by guarding Singler without fouling. Then he'll be ready for Villanova. I'd be really let down if he doesn't play a bunch next week.

I'm not scared-- this is a great matchup for us. We win by more than 5.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    All those times in last night's second half when Ward drove to the basket, big Z was on the bench in foul trouble. If we're going to face a team that drives to the basket, we need Z in the paint ready to greet them. Zoubek is playing the best ball of his career by far, and I think we need to use him. Once again, let's dictate the style the opponent uses, rather than the other way around. I'd remind Zoubek that his value in the middle on defense is more having him rebound, intimidate and alter shots than blocking every single one. He's going to have to practice all week by guarding Singler without fouling. Then he'll be ready for Villanova. I'd be really let down if he doesn't play a bunch next week.

I'm not scared-- this is a great matchup for us. We win by more than 5.
    I think you have a point as long as he can get down the court into position.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    In the UT loss, Villanova shot 4-18 from three and got literally nothing from their third-best player (Fisher) and not much from their second-best player (Reynolds). The same is true in the G'Town loss, and in that one G'Town's size minimized Cunningham a bit too. They also were very turnover-prone in those losses

When they shoot poorly and don't get good production from Fisher and Reynolds, Villanova can be pretty mediocre. When they are shooting well and their guards are playing with confidence, Villanova can be very tough.

Villanova is a very small team. Their "big" guy is about the same size as Singler, and is more in the Damion James mold of inside/outside player. Given their style of play and lack of focus on dumping the ball to the blocks, I really don't see a big role for Zoubs (short of foul trouble for our other bigs) on Thursday.!
    During the Texas game, some of Z's best minutes came against Texas' small line-up -- w/out Pittman -- because he was the only big guy on the floor. I'm sort of hoping he can accomplish the same thing against Villanova. He does slow things down some but we've already slowed down the offense and don't really look to break much now anyway. You're probably right that he won't play much, given the track record this year but I still think we can hope for some minutes of Z as the lone tall tree out there.

I haven't seen Villanova play much, do you think they'd let Singler pull Cunningham that far away from the basket?

Absolutely agree with all of this, which is why I hope K uses the extra preparation time to focus on helping each other out on the perimeter.
    We can't afford to wait to have help sliding over into the lane after guys get beat on the outside. We need to pinch off those seams. It doesn't have to be the dreaded "z" word but I think we need to play our man a little differently.