Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jeff probably has a pretty unique place among Duke BB alums. He is definitely part of the family and, I think, generally held in high regard by most Duke fans. I do recall quite a few folks being really down on him during the '95 and '96 seasons, and the early part of '97. A lot of it had to do with questionable shot selection and what could at times look like selfish play.

Those negative feelings had evaporated by the end of the '97 season. Jeff grew up a TON during that last year and matured into one of the team's leaders, and a guy Coach K trusted a lot. Which, y'know, is kind of the point of college. Capel came in as a boy and left as a man. At this point I don't know of any Duke fans still harping on some of his lower moments - he was a credit to the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The groan/boo incident occurred early in his senior season -- Dec. 5, 1996 ... Duke was locked in a tight game with Florida State (Duke would win 72-66 in overtime) and Jeff was playing horribly. Late in regulation, K sent Capel to the scorer's table and there was a negative reaction from the crowd ...

I am one of those who heard more of a gasp or collective "Oh No!" than any boos. I do know the Capel family thinks Jeff was booed in that moment.

But that was it. I was at every game in 1995 and I never heard any booing of Jeff or any other player. After the FSU incident in 96-97, it was almost like the Cameron crowd went over the top in their affection for Jeff to make up for it.

However you interpret the FSU incident, that was one moment in a four year career ... I can't think of any other evidence that would lead Mike to think that Jeff wasn't liked or appreciated at Duke. Certainly his senior day appearance against Maryland was a love-fest.
    I think this post is good enough to close this thread. And done in 5, 4, 3 , 2, 1...