Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Duke 86, Binghamton 62 (NCAA Tournament) Post-Game Thread

Good win -- Duke lives to play another day!

Good win, but I had a question..

It was taking a minute for my video to catch up coming out of commercials. What happened that the announcers were talking about risking a guy's career and there was no room for that in the game? Was there a dirty shot or something? Who on whom? ARRRG.

Career...

They were talking about a take down of Blake in the OK game.

Survive and Advance.

When we ran our offense, things went very well. G didn't really show up, but on the other end, LT was screaming and yelling when we were up 25. I loved his constant intensity

Nolan was great. That is so important and nice to see.

Longhorns up next

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Survive and Advance.

When we ran our offense, things went very well. G didn't really show up, but on the other end, LT was screaming and yelling when we were up 25. I loved his constant intensity

Nolan was great. That is so important and nice to see.

Longhorns up next

G was just 3-9 from the field, which isn't great, but he scored 13 points, including 7-7 from the line, had 6 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal (espn stats). And I was much more focused on our offense this game than on D but I don't recall G being a liability on defense either. I think it's totally unfair to say he "didn't really show up".

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    G was just 3-9 from the field, which isn't great, but he scored 13 points, including 7-7 from the line, had 6 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal (espn stats). And I was much more focused on our offense this game than on D but I don't recall G being a liability on defense either. I think it's totally unfair to say he "didn't really show up".
    I'm not saying he played terrible, he just wasn't aggressive on either end of the floor and didn't assert himself very often when the opportunity was there. His turnovers were pretty bad ones too that led to fast breaks. He didn't pay poorly, just didn't seem to really play with much umpph. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I'm not saying he played terrible, he just wasn't aggressive on either end of the floor and didn't assert himself very often when the opportunity was there. His turnovers were pretty bad ones too that led to fast breaks. He didn't pay poorly, just didn't seem to really play with much umpph. No big deal.
    I'm not nominating him for man of the match but I disagree about your assessment of his game because you seem to imply a lack of effort. G put the ball on the deck and drove, a lot. For this, he was rewarded with frequent trips to the line. I liked his approach today. I don't think he's ever going to come off as fiery as a guy like Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    I'm not nominating him for man of the match but I disagree about your assessment of his game because you seem to imply a lack of effort. G put the ball on the deck and drove, a lot. For this, he was rewarded with frequent trips to the line. I liked his approach today. I don't think he's ever going to come off as fiery as a guy like Thomas.
    He gets fired up on occasion, but it usually takes something happening - like when Nolan got cheap shotted in the MD game by Neal.

But honestly, did we NEED Gerald to be "fiery" in a game that was never really in doubt?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post

It was taking a minute for my video to catch up coming out of commercials. What happened that the announcers were talking about risking a guy's career? Was there a dirty shot or something? ARRRG.
    It showed Blake Griffin getting flipped over by the arm. The player that did it was ejected.

Blake Griffin from Oklahoma was literally judo-flipped by an opposing player and went head over heels on to the floor. Immediate ejection.
    Thanks.

Ah, okay, my audio and video were a little iffy coming back from commercials. I thought I heard the name Griffin, but I thought maybe it was just some scrub for Binghamton or something. I'm glad it wasn't one of our guys on either end of the exchange. Is Griffin okay I hope?

He looked to be fine. Confused...but fine.

Thanks.

Ah, okay, my audio and video were a little iffy coming back from commercials. I thought I heard the name Griffin, but I thought maybe it was just some scrub for Binghamton or something. I'm glad it wasn't one of our guys on either end of the exchange. Is Griffin okay I hope?
    Griffin is fine but he looked PISSED. Very mature of him to just get up and walk away.

Liked the contributions of the "non-Big-Three". Elliot Williams had a nice game, as did Nolan, and Lance Thomas had one of his best games.

Duke had six players with between 10 and 15 points. That is the kind of balanced scoring that gets it done in March.

I was happy to see Paulus make some contributions, and also to see Zoubek, Pocius, Plumlee and Czyz in at the end. Something to tell their children and grandchildren. Somebody needs to whisper in Plumlee's ear that he not a point guard.

Very nice

A good, smooth, workmanlike win. As always, I can pick a nit or two, especially that I would have liked to see Zoubek in there a bit more, since we're gonna need him vs. Tejas.

Good to shut things down early and on to Saturday.

Go Duke!!

I'm just happy to have a stress free game for once. I feel like it's been forever since we've been able to play our scrubs in the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Texas is a real team, and has a coach that knows Duke. But I have faith that the team will be focused on the task at hand and not looking forward.

LGD!!!!!!!

Given all the things we've done differently this year, it could actually be to our advantage that Barnes might think he's familiar with K and Duke. If he thinks it's a team similar to the ones that blew his squads out in 2003 and 2006, he's in for a big surprise. Totally diff. style.

Great second half. Duke came out of the locker room and asserted themselves and Binghampton could not recover. There would have been a large margin earlier if Bing hadn't made six first half threes, mostly while being well guarded. Duke got good balanced scoring and once again took great care of the ball.

It was taking a minute for my video to catch up coming out of commercials. What happened that the announcers were talking about risking a guy's career? Was there a dirty shot or something? ARRRG.
    Blake Griffin from Oklahoma was literally judo-flipped by an opposing player and went head over heels on to the floor. Immediate ejection.