How We Beat Texas

Deny, Deny, Deny
    A.J. Abrams is the key to so much of what Texas does. And he loves to work off the ball, run off screens, catch and shoot. We happen to have a player who has specialized in denial defense off the ball for three years. But do you put Jon Scheyer on a waterbug like Abrams, force him to chase the guy all over the court and then also ask him to run the team and be a major scorer at the other end? If not, who is up to the task? Elliot Williams? Maybe -- he's long and quick, but not always disciplined and tends to foul too often. Nolan Smith? Also long and quick, but better on the ball than off it, with the same fouling problem as Williams. Dave McClure? I've seen stranger things. We'll probably end up rotating, but it is critical that we keep the ball out of Abrams' hands as much as possible and if he catches, that we force him to put the ball on the floor and attack inside the arc.

Zoubek -- Be Ready
    This is a Brian game. Sometimes, he won't play at all. But against teams with a legit big, Zoubs has been asked to contribute recently. Dexter Pittman has been playing very, very well lately -- he's averaging 16.1 ppg and 8.4 rpg over his last seven contests. We'll need Zoub to use his size -- in spurts -- to limit him.

Attack ... Selectively
    Duke needs to get to the rim. We have good finishers, we're good on the offensive boards and we need to get to the line. But Texas has some pretty good shot-blockers in Pittman, Damion James and Connor Atchley. So, our guys need to drive with a purpose (I'm looking at you, Elliot), creating proper angles and taking it into the chest of the shot-blocker. If Kyle and G, in particular, can get things going inside early, or earn some trips to the line, it'll really help open things up.

Push The Ball When The Opportunity is There ... Especially When Pittman Is In The Game
    Texas has plenty of quick, athletic players -- Abrams, James, Mason, etc. -- but they don't play particularly fast. The Longhorns' adjusted tempo of 66.2 is slightly below average. I've talked all season about getting easy baskets -- Duke needs them tomorrow. And what's a better way to deal with Pittman than to make him run? Texas has plenty of depth inside with Pittman, Atchley and Johnson, a former Duke recruit. But let's make them use it.

Don't Settle
    Duke has taken care of the ball very, very well lately, and Texas doesn't force a lot of turnovers. Let's hope this isn't the game where both trends go in a different direction. Assuming both teams play their typical styles, then, Duke's going to get looks. The key is to work for better ones. That means Elliot can't jab, jab, jab and then drive into the teeth of the D. It means Kyle can't shoot step-back jumpers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. It means G has to remain in control, because he can always get off a decent jumper with the shot clock winding down. Texas wants to make you work? Fine, then work Duke shall. Make the extra pass. Set the extra screen. Get good shots.

Force The Non-Shooters To Be Shooters
    If we're going to deny Abrams (and probably switch on screens) and perhaps help on Pittman and James, that means sacrificing somewhere else. Justin Mason has hit seven threes this year. Dogus Balbay has hit one. Varez Ward has hit two. It's not Duke's style to play off anyone on the perimeter. But in this case, it's worth daring those guys to beat us with jumpers to help on their main scorers.

Remember Who You Are, And What You've Done So Far
    Duke's main players don't have much experience with winning in March. The ACC Tourney was a great step in the right direction. The Binghamton game was another step forward -- we took care of buisness and won going away. But there still has to be some lingering doubts about not having moved past the first weekend of the Tourney for a junior-led squad.
    This team has been different all year. It's tougher, more experienced and just better. Duke has terrific players and is an ever better team. So the guys need to go out with that kind of confidence, play with an edge and not let anything -- Texas, a Carolina crowd, a deficit, questionable calls, a rabid animal on the loose -- distract from that belief. You're good, Duke. You're really, really good. Go out there, play your game, and win.

Go Duke!
    Last edited by MulletMan; 03-21-2009 at 10:35 AM.

When Pittman is in the game, for the first few posessions, I would like it if K left Zoubek on the bench to see how Barnes defends us. Will Pittman be forced to chase Kyle/Lance around or will Barnes go with a zone? Pittman CAN be a force down low, but he can be denied easier than most big men of his size. We might actually have an advantage depending on how Pittman plays early. No need to send in Zou if their big man becomes a liability on defense and only a slight advantage on offense...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    When Pittman is in the game, for the first few posessions, I would like it if K left Zoubek on the bench to see how Barnes defends us. Will Pittman be forced to chase Kyle/Lance around or will Barnes go with a zone? Pittman CAN be a force down low, but he can be denied easier than most big men of his size. We might actually have an advantage depending on how Pittman plays early. No need to send in Zou if their big man becomes a liability on defense and only a slight advantage on offense...
    Pittman starts. Zoubek doesn't. So, yes, there will be plenty of time to see different matchups. I don't think I came close to suggesting that Zoubek should be in the game every second Pittman's in there.

My 2 cents

I think we have some bad matchups against them but by far they will have more problems matching up with us. If they try to zone us up to protect thier bigs then I think we can open this game wide open. If we don't go stonecold, we should be able to handle them.

Im excited about this game, it should be fun. Now hopefully I get to watch it in HD on my TV and not online over here in LV. Gonzaga plays at the same time.

Their PG drives and dishes but never shoots and their SG is a short spot-up shooter (a good one, but still). I couldn't construct a better scenario for having Nolan/Elliot guard the point and having Scheyer guard the wing if I tried. I think you're making it too complicated in your first paragraph. Keep that standard defensive plan and we'll be fine on that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Their PG drives and dishes but never shoots and their SG is a short spot-up shooter (a good one, but still). I couldn't construct a better scenario for having Nolan/Elliot guard the point and having Scheyer guard the wing if I tried. I think you're making it too complicated in your first paragraph. Keep that standard defensive plan and we'll be fine on that end.
    Agreed. Force Balbay to be a shooter/scorer and prevent Abrams from getting shots. Deny the ball to Pittman. This is our bread and butter - we just have to execute our typical gameplan. Smith and Williams can handle the assignment on the point guard, and Scheyer has always been up to the task of chasing the other team's shooter.

One thing to note though is that their bigs commit a lot of fouls. We need to be aggressive on offense and take the ball at them. If we can get Texas in foul trouble (especially Pittman), it will give us a big edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I believe that Jumbo's point is that Abrams, while enjoying the spot up J, is on the move constantly in UT's offensive sets. Consequently, you want to deny him the ball. Our best defender in a ball-denial sense is Scheyer. However, do you want Scheyer to expend the energy of chasin Abrams around the court for the whole game? Or would you rather save him for the offensive end? Its not like Abrams just sits out at the three point line waiting for kick outs.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    I believe that Jumbo's point is that Abrams, while enjoying the spot up J, is on the move constantly in UT's offensive sets. Consequently, you want to deny him the ball. Our best defender in a ball-denial sense is Scheyer. However, do you want Scheyer to expend the energy of chasin Abrams around the court for the whole game? Or would you rather save him for the offensive end? Its not like Abrams just sits out at the three point line waiting for kick outs.
    I'm sure we'll do it as we've done all season against guys like him. Scheyer will take the primary assignment, but Smith McClure, and Henderson will get time chasing him as well. I doubt Williams will get much of a look there - he's much better on the ball. Smith is too, but he has a bit more experience than Williams. But I think that Scheyer will get the role first and foremost. Which means that Henderson, Singler, and Smith/Williams are going to have to step up on the offensive end.

I think this is a good matchup for Duke on the other end of the floor. James is not a good defender, which will allow Singler opportunities to take advantage. And Henderson should be able to post up or shoot over whichever tiny guard they put on him. If those two play smart, we can really exploit UT on that end. We can certainly use big games for those two, given that Scheyer is going to have to spend a lot of time chasing Abrams.

Singler seems to be a bit tired, although nothing like last year. He has become our third/fourth leading scorer and seems to miss a lot of threes after he has been on the court for an extended period of time. I wish we had a strong big so that Kyle would not have to expend that much energy banging inside. Lance has finally showed a glimse of what we waited so long for and finally beat that BB powerhouse Rutgers in his recruitment. I hope he keeps it up.

Wacky ideas for Texas game

First, let's just play our game, which has pretty much always been effective at denying a great shooting guard the ball. We've done it many times-- I pick McClure for the job, because we don't rely on McClure for offense, so he can really concentrate on D. I know that tires him out for rebounding, but you pays your money and takes your chance. We do need Scheyer to run the offense and his outside shot will loosen up the middle. Since we can't choose who Texas has Abrams guarding, I'd make sure whoever he takes spends a lot of time running him ragged without the ball-- let Abrams get tired chasing our guy around and try to be effective at the offensive end. If they put Abrams on McClure knowing he won't shoot, pull Singler and Hendo away from the basket leaving the middle open, then have the point penetrate and dish to McClure on the weak side-- if nothing else, we know Dave has good hands and the ability to finish inside against a smaller player, as long as the middle is clear for a pass to get through.

Most important is to make Texas match with us. There have been games this year where big teams have gone with smaller lineups to match our speed. I'd start off seeing if that's how Texas approaches the game. If so, we're good by neutralizing their big advantage against our big weakness. I simply don't see Texas zoning against us, because we shoot well from outside and are smart enough to pick apart a zone.

If that fails, I'd go box and 1 against Abrams. Yes I said box and 1. We could zone to protect the middle, but that would leave open shots for a great 3 point shooter, who will get looks against our 2-3 zone. Have the box protect the middle and assign the 1 to stay in Abrams' face.

If all that fails, unconscious outside shooting will certainly give us the win

GO DUKE!!

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    First, let's just play our game, which has pretty much always been effective at denying a great shooting guard the ball. We've done it many times-- I pick McClure for the job, because we don't rely on McClure for offense, so he can really concentrate on D. I know that tires him out for rebounding, but you pays your money and takes your chance. We do need Scheyer to run the offense and his outside shot will loosen up the middle. Since we can't choose who Texas has Abrams guarding, I'd make sure whoever he takes spends a lot of time running him ragged without the ball-- let Abrams get tired chasing our guy around and try to be effective at the offensive end. If they put Abrams on McClure knowing he won't shoot, pull Singler and Hendo away from the basket leaving the middle open, then have the point penetrate and dish to McClure on the weak side-- if nothing else, we know Dave has good hands and the ability to finish inside against a smaller player, as long as the middle is clear for a pass to get through.

Most important is to make Texas match with us. There have been games this year where big teams have gone with smaller lineups to match our speed. I'd start off seeing if that's how Texas approaches the game. If so, we're good by neutralizing their big advantage against our big weakness. I simply don't see Texas zoning against us, because we shoot well from outside and are smart enough to pick apart a zone.

If that fails, I'd go box and 1 against Abrams. Yes I said box and 1. We could zone to protect the middle, but that would leave open shots for a great 3 point shooter, who will get looks against our 2-3 zone. Have the box protect the middle and assign the 1 to stay in Abrams' face.

If all that fails, unconscious outside shooting will certainly give us the win

GO DUKE!!
    Texas has been going smaller as of late. They started James at the 4 next to Pittman, started three guards, and brought both Atchley and Johnson off the bench. If that's the case, though, I like the idea of inverting the offense. Kyle prefers to play on the perimeter. So, run some sets where we post G on whichever guy guards him (likely to be Mason) and then spread the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Texas has been going smaller as of late. They started James at the 4 next to Pittman, started three guards, and brought both Atchley and Johnson off the bench. If that's the case, though, I like the idea of inverting the offense. Kyle prefers to play on the perimeter. So, run some sets where we post G on whichever guy guards him (likely to be Mason) and then spread the floor.
    I really hope to see this. G is so effective down low, especially against shorter guards. Also, it's a good way to get his shot going early. When his midrange game is going, he's very, very difficult to guard and gives us a way of getting buckets even when the opposing defense has clamped down and our perimeter shots aren't falling.

I think the difficulty this poses for Texas will cause them to shift back to the larger line-up they played with earlier in the year. That line-up wasn't as successful as the current, smaller one that seemingly turned Texas's season around. It will be interesting to see.

Push The Ball When The Opportunity is There ... Especially When Pittman Is In The Game
    Texas has plenty of quick, athletic players -- Abrams, James, Mason, etc. -- but they don't play particularly fast. The Longhorns' adjusted tempo of 66.2 is slightly below average. I've talked all season about getting easy baskets -- Duke needs them tomorrow. And what's a better way to deal with Pittman than to make him run? Texas has plenty of depth inside with Pittman, Atchley and Johnson, a former Duke recruit. But let's make them use it.
    I really hope we press and trap in order to turnover the Longhorns and score in transition. We can neutralize Pittman by denying Texas the opportunity to setup their half court offense. I look back on some of our biggest victories this year and they were fueled by pressure defense. The first half destruction of Wake Forest comes to mind as does the start of the game against Xavier. We need to jump all over Texas from the opening bell...uh...I mean the Tip-off!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Singler seems to be a bit tired, although nothing like last year. He has become our third/fourth leading scorer and seems to miss a lot of threes after he has been on the court for an extended period of time. I wish we had a strong big so that Kyle would not have to expend that much energy banging inside. Lance has finally showed a glimse of what we waited so long for and finally beat that BB powerhouse Rutgers in his recruitment. I hope he keeps it up.
    Kyle's made 20 of his last 42 threes over the past 8 games. In that span, he has 141 points - more than Gerald (139), and second only to Jon (149). He was the team's 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then 6th (Thurs.) leading scorers. There's no universe where he's "become our third/fourth leading scorer." If this is him playing tired, I'd feel sorry for opponents who get stuck playing him at full strength.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

(Edited from from a different thread)

I have been following Texas all year, as I live in Houston.

Their defense is usually very poor. If they rebound well, they do O.K.

If Abrams catches fire he can kill you. He usually is on fire, but has had some poor games when the defense stays on him tight the whole game. Not a very good assist man. He is only 5'10", so our guards can cover him as long as they stay up with him.

Pittman is a load. In the recent past he usually didn't leave his feet for rebounds. He has been doing that lately, however, and it has paid off for him. His average minutes playing time is deceiving, as it has increased lately as he has been vastly improving. You can slap the ball from him before he goes up for his shot.

Johnson's production has gone down some, as his minutes are being taken by Pittman. When he is in there for Pittman, their mobility greatly improves around the basket. He plays taller than his listed height.

Watch out for James. He can hit different shots and usually lulls you to sleep as he quietly accumulates points. Very good player.

Mason is a step down from James. He has been very good in spots. Is leading them in the assist department.

Atchley shows flouishes---3's and blocks occasionally. His production has waned as the season has progressed, however.

I think a lot of their recent success can be partly attributed to the emergence of their foreign kid, Balbay. He is extremely quick and when others get drawn to him after he blows by you, it opens up his ability to dish very well.

We will do very well if we do not pick up a lot of early fouls on our big men trying to contain Pittman, I believe.

The match-up question may be our only obvious problem: James, Atchley and Pittman are phyically bigger than our top 3 big men regardless of roster data. Also, the speed of Abrams and Balbay is faster than Jon, so he could get blown past easily by one of them and also has to be careful protecting the ball. Nolan and Elliot could contain them pretty well, but then they both would have to be in there at the same time. If Hendo comes over to help instead, then Jon would be left trying to contain the other taller wings.

As mentioned previously by others, if Texas goes small, they are a little different team. For us, I believe, we would come out better. We are still faster overall, and then we can leave both Nolan and Elliot in there with Jon during rotations and stay on those guys. We would also run those guys ragged with Hendo, Nolan and Elliot in there.

We just need to be very aggresive without fouling a lot. If we do that, we got it made IMHO.

Ricks

Talking Good Summary, but for Duke let's don't forget Singler...

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    (Edited from from a different thread)

I have been following Texas all year, as I live in Houston.

Their defense is usually very poor. If they rebound well, they do O.K.

If Abrams catches fire he can kill you. He usually is on fire, but has had some poor games when the defense stays on him tight the whole game. Not a very good assist man. He is only 5'10", so our guards can cover him as long as they stay up with him.

Pittman is a load. In the recent past he usually didn't leave his feet for rebounds. He has been doing that lately, however, and it has paid off for him. His average minutes playing time is deceiving, as it has increased lately as he has been vastly improving. You can slap the ball from him before he goes up for his shot.

Johnson's production has gone down some, as his minutes are being taken by Pittman. When he is in there for Pittman, their mobility greatly improves around the basket. He plays taller than his listed height.

Watch out for James. He can hit different shots and usually lulls you to sleep as he quietly accumulates points. Very good player.

Mason is a step down from James. He has been very good in spots. Is leading them in the assist department.

Atchley shows flouishes---3's and blocks occasionally. His production has waned as the season has progressed, however.

I think a lot of their recent success can be partly attributed to the emergence of their foreign kid, Balbay. He is extremely quick and when others get drawn to him after he blows by you, it opens up his ability to dish very well.

We will do very well if we do not pick up a lot of early fouls on our big men trying to contain Pittman, I believe.

The match-up question may be our only obvious problem: James, Atchley and Pittman are phyically bigger than our top 3 big men regardless of roster data. Also, the speed of Abrams and Balbay is faster than Jon, so he could get blown past easily by one of them and also has to be careful protecting the ball. Nolan and Elliot could contain them pretty well, but then they both would have to be in there at the same time. If Hendo comes over to help instead, then Jon would be left trying to contain the other taller wings.

As mentioned previously by others, if Texas goes small, they are a little different team. For us, I believe, we would come out better. We are still faster overall, and then we can leave both Nolan and Elliot in there with Jon during rotations and stay on those guys. We would also run those guys ragged with Hendo, Nolan and Elliot in there.

We just need to be very aggresive without fouling a lot. If we do that, we got it made IMHO.

Ricks

Good Summary by Ricks68 and Jumbo, but for Duke let's don't forget Singler. Pittman is not the sort to roam too far from the paint. I'm looking for Kyle to shoot a lot of mid-range jumpers. I'm also hoping for an early run to get the crowd out of it (I hear Texas may have a few fans rooting loudly for them... but wearing a really odd shade of "burnt orange").
    Just don't want the Longhorns' confidence to grow early.

In addition to Zoubs' contribution, am looking for another of our bigs to step up and have a big game --- Lance or Miles. Knowing K, with do-or-die on the line, I expect K to rely on his seniors more than a normal game...so look to see some Greg and Dave time too.

Go Duke!! Go after 'em. You ARE the better team. Know it. Play it.

-BDBD