Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Congratulations to the new ACC scoring leader

Congrats to Mr. Hansbrough on breaking JJ's record. He did it early in the Radford game, and from the free throw line no less. CBS reports that JJ will be calling him after the game to say congratulations.

Congratulations, Tyler.

He is an excellent college player. Impressive.

I would have bet any sum of money that the record breaking points would come from the free throw line. Apropos.
    Huge accomplishment though. He is on any short list of ACC greats.

Congratulations, Mr. Hansbrough.

Well done. It was deserved, and its good for college basketball that he's been doing this even when its not good for Duke. Congratulations and here's to an early tournament exit (but a final 4 loss to Duke would be ok too)

Thumbs up Tyler,well done!

Now that you have the scoring title, it is time to go home.
    Best---Blueprof

Yeah, yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah.

So you did it.
    Thank God it wasn't done against Duke.
    Take your prize now and go home.

Seriously, congrats. It is a fine accomplishment.

Careful. Watch your steps.

Congratulations Tyler, well done and well earned. Here's to more college players staying all 4 years like Tyler, JJ, and Shane.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Congratulations T. Just another notch in Tobacco Road hoops' bedpost, proving if you want the best, we don't have to travel far to find it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Call me a bitter Duke fan, but I disagree strongly with this thread.

To me, Hansbrough represents everything that is wrong with college basketball.

I can live with most of the free throws, he does get a lot of contact, and he is an impressive free throw shooter.

On the other hand, many of his baskets come from blatant travels that the refs refuse to call. If any of you have seen Bob Knight's story on traveling earlier in the season, that's a pretty good assessment to how he gets many of his baskets.

Better than JJ? No way. JJ wasn't a post, he was a guard, and he got hammered just like Hansbrough did. On top of that, he was one of the ACC's most prolific shooters.

Bottom line, Hansbrough's a good player, maybe a great player, but he does not deserve this award, and I'm ashamed that he got it.

I'm just gonna turn off the TV and cry in the dark for a little while...

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Congratulations, Mr. Hansbrough.
    Mr. ... sheet, ..., I respect the guy for good play, but Mr.????

Congrats Tyler. Even if I wanted to, I just couldn't hate the guy. Mostly because he has so little on-court personality that it's hard to feel anything towards him. But also because he stayed in school, doesn't whine or showboat or play dirty. Even if he does travel and get all the calls, that's the refs' fault, not his. Despite the record, certainly not the best player to come through the ACC, but a good representative of the conference nonetheless.

Congrats! And good luck next year playing in Europe....

Quote Originally Posted by WSW77 View Post
    Congrats! And good luck next year playing in Europe....
    Give the guy a break.

D League.

I just threw up in my mouth...

And please, people, Beaker will not be in Europe or the D League next year. Charlotte will blow their first round pick on him so he can sit next to Sean May...

I was thinking the same thing...he'll be a Charlotte Tarcat...or is it Bobheel? Regardless, hope they lose so we never have to see his disturbing visage again. I can't play nice or be respectful--he was given too many FT's that were not warranted for 4 years. He's gotten to play by a different set of rules--walk all over, flop 6', and leap into his opponents while they suffered fouls that they shouldn't have. Maybe we'll find out he roided up and there will be an asterisk by his name????

Duke fans are true sports fans as exemplified in this thread. I have no iron in the Duke/UNC deal but reading these posts makes me smile about the top notch Duke folks on this board.

Watching the ACC tournament, talking with my Duke graduate buddy at work, touring Duke last year, meeting Duke students and staff, you guys are first class!

Go Duke!

By the way, Clemson is falling apart tonight...whats up with those guys?

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post
    Call me a bitter Duke fan, but I disagree strongly with this thread.

To me, Hansbrough represents everything that is wrong with college basketball.

I can live with most of the free throws, he does get a lot of contact, and he is an impressive free throw shooter.

On the other hand, many of his baskets come from blatant travels that the refs refuse to call. If any of you have seen Bob Knight's story on traveling earlier in the season, that's a pretty good assessment to how he gets many of his baskets.

Better than JJ? No way. JJ wasn't a post, he was a guard, and he got hammered just like Hansbrough did. On top of that, he was one of the ACC's most prolific shooters.

Bottom line, Hansbrough's a good player, maybe a great player, but he does not deserve this award, and I'm ashamed that he got it.

I'm just gonna turn off the TV and cry in the dark for a little while...

I respect your opinion, but I think you are very wrong. Yes, Hansbrough might take some extra steps, but it never gets him much better position. And even if he does take steps, nobody can stop him. And I mean Nobody.

He can muscle up and create the weirdest shots in the post, and he can step out and hit 3's.

He makes free-throws, hits 15 footers, and does everything.

I think he is a great player, and deserves this award

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    I respect your opinion, but I think you are very wrong. Yes, Hansbrough might take some extra steps, but it never gets him much better position. ...
    While I don't dispute that Hansbrough is a fine player who brings a load of desire and energy to the game, for which he deserves much credit, I beg to differ with your observation. I've seen this sequence many, many times over the past four years: Once Hansbrough receives the ball down low and his defender establishes position to block his path to the basket, taking that extra step to move around or outside the blocked position--and then leaning or jumping back into the defender--enables Hansbrough to create ample space to get off his shot, while putting the defender in a disadvantageous position that leaves him little option but to reach, thereby resulting in a foul. It's Hansbrough's "patented move"; and largely because he's been allowed to exploit it with impunity, he's now the ACC all-time scoring leader.