Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wonder if he'll have to back pedal his picks like he's having to back pedal his "outrage" over the AIG bonuses.

What K really said...

Perhaps the mods should consider leaving this story on the EK forum since there has been so much misinformation about K's statement.

http://mediamatters.org/countyfair/200903190004

Quoting from the article:

Fox and the Associated Press are hyping a statement by Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski that President Obama should focus on fixing the economy, not trying to predict NCAA tournament results....

But Krzyzewski was smiling as he said that, and his very next words -- not reported by the AP or Fox -- were "Why would i care about that? I love the guy, and I think he's gonna be great."

Full transcript of the exchange:

Q. You guys have won 9 out of the last 10 games. You're the ACC champions, one of the toughest leagues in the country. I know you don't listen to the so called experts. But not a lot of people are talking about you guys. You don't see Duke moving in many people's brackets. What do you think about that?
    COACH KRZYZEWSKI: I don't think about it at all, because some people have asked how do you prepare and whatever. I don't fill out a bracket. I'm not a I am a fan, but I'm not a fan of basketball now. I'm the coach of my team. When you're coaching your team, you should have just great focus on what you are doing.

Really it doesn't matter at all what anyone predicts, it's what you do. Somebody said that we're not in President Obama's Final Four. As much as I respect what he's done, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably, more than the brackets. So why would I care about that?

I love the guy, and I think he's going to be great. But I love the fact that so many people are filling them out, because the game is growing so much. But until I quit coaching or retire from coaching, I'm never going to fill one out.

A portion of the exchange on video can be found here:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportscenter/index

He clearly was joking.

Give me a break

It doesn't matter if K was saying those words with a big red clown nose and a silly set of shoes on. It doesn't change what he meant even in context. Words mean things, folks. K wasn't laughing, smiling until the end of the "punch line."

AIG, Leno, basketball, it's all one big distraction.

Thread lock down/Chard banning/post deletion in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    It doesn't matter if K was saying those words with a big red clown nose and a silly set of shoes on. It doesn't change what he meant even in context. Words mean things, folks. K wasn't laughing, smiling until the end of the "punch line."

AIG, Leno, basketball, it's all one big distraction.

Thread lock down/Chard banning/post deletion in 5, 4, 3, 2...
    So tell me, what exactly did Coach K mean when he said, "I love the guy, and I think he's going to be great"?

K-Speak

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    So tell me, what exactly did Coach K mean when he said, "I love the guy, and I think he's going to be great"?
    "Basketball recruits who love President Obama, so does your future coach."

Lightbulb Kinda like: "Love the sinner,but hate the...

...sins!"Pulling for UNC is a sin.

K is a fairly diplomatic person and ,as a Catholic, has an affectionate heart for all in distress.
    Also, he loves bball and appreciates O's being a fan--aside from any political differences.
    Maybe Roy will sub O for Lawson.

Best--Blueprof

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    "Basketball recruits who love President Obama, so does your future coach."
    Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    ...sins!"Pulling for UNC is a sin.

K is a fairly diplomatic person and ,as a Catholic, has an affectionate heart for all in distress.
    Also, he loves bball and appreciates O's being a fan--aside from any political differences.
    Maybe Roy will sub O for Lawson.

Best--Blueprof
    Thank you for your responses. I was trying to point out to Chard that Coach K said more than the economy line.

Coach K may not have voted for BO, but that doesn't mean he can't rib him in a kidding manner about some things. I think people are still a little too tightly wound over politics, never mind basketball.

I hope the economy REBOUNDS and pleases the Prez (and the nation, of course) but I hope the 'heels don't and he is significantly disappointed. Again.

Well as of 1245 EDT it's the lead story on Drudge

DUKE COACH SLAM DUNKS OBAMA: FOCUS ON ECONOMY NOT NCAA PICKS

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Another wave of Duke hatred may soon be cresting

Yeah ATL good call. Drudge is not helping us Duke fans!

Wow. Behold the power of selective quoting.

Now Texas senator John Cornyn and a few others are quoting K to criticize Obama... this sucks for Duke Basketball. I am so mad at the AP right now.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ketball-picks/

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Perhaps the mods should consider leaving this story on the EK forum since there has been so much misinformation about K's statement.

http://mediamatters.org/countyfair/200903190004

Quoting from the article:

Fox and the Associated Press are hyping a statement by Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski that President Obama should focus on fixing the economy, not trying to predict NCAA tournament results....

But Krzyzewski was smiling as he said that, and his very next words -- not reported by the AP or Fox -- were "Why would i care about that? I love the guy, and I think he's gonna be great."

Media Matters ??? Nah I think I will avoid the Soros funded website, thanks for the update though. Maybe I can go to Daily Kos and see how Bush is Hitler and Cheney is Satan. Don't get me wrong I am sure K was joking to a degree but MM is not my cup o' tea.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog44 View Post
    Media Matters ??? Nah I think I will avoid the Soros funded website, thanks for the update though. Maybe I can go to Daily Kos and see how Bush is Hitler and Cheney is Satan. Don't get me wrong I am sure K was joking to a degree but MM is not my cup o' tea.
    This Post ^= Fail

Not because of the political lean of the comments, but because:

1) that you are even turning this thread into a political discussion and didn't make a single point about basketball or coach K.

2) The OP was simply giving the full contents of the quote and its context. If you don't like Media Matters, you always can go see the video on ESPN.

3) Not only did you feel that it was necessary to make YOUR political leanings public, but you also felt that it was necessary to attack those of others.

If you want to talk about things relevant to the Duke program, fine, but take your political diatribes elsewhere please. I don't want to see it here.

FAIL
    Last edited by BlueintheFace; 03-19-2009 at 02:37 PM.

shows how big a joke the media can be.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    This Post ^= Fail

1) that you are even turning this thread into a political discussion and didn't make a single point about basketball or coach K.

2) The OP was simply giving the full contents of the quote and its context. If you don't like Media Matters, you always can go see the video on ESPN.

3) Not only did you feel that it was necessary to make YOUR political leanings public, but you also felt that it was necessary to attack those of others.

If you want to talk about things relevant to the Duke program, fine, but take your political diatribes elsewhere please. I don't want to see it here.

FAIL
    You are correct. I apologize. Update, I was the first one that I know of to submit this on here and I posted my link from CNN which also didn't have the extension. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    This Post ^= Fail

1) that you are even turning this thread into a political matter and didn't say a single word about basketball or coach K.

FAIL
    IIRC, -jk reminded us to not attack each other. While you may feel the post failed, you went on to attack the poster. I'm just saying.

And to keep this on topic, everybody is getting their knickers in a twist over all this. Can we all just take a chill pill?

IIRC, -jk reminded us to not attack each other. While you may feel the post failed, you went on to attack the poster. I'm just saying.

And to keep this on topic, everybody is getting their knickers in a twist over all this. Can we all just take a chill pill?
    Despite the interest, I think that this thread belongs on the off-topic thread. It is too much of a temptation for people to spout off political viewpoints. I'm not a moderator, but I am pretty sure that we don't want that on a basketball board.