Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Leitao gone with Capel as target?

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college...story/4749251/

Golly, those Hoos must have deep pockets.

Don't they have a new arena to fill?

I hope it isn't Capel. I like rooting for him from afar. Plus, he is a good recruiter from what I can tell and might steal some kids from one of our major bases... the DC/Baltimore/ Northern VA area.

I think Anthony Grant might be an interesting choice. If Brad Stevens is ready to leave Butler than he might be another good choice. Lots of options...

Anthony Grant would be an interesting choice. I also wonder if UVA would be willing to take a second look at Jeff Jones, he's done some pretty good things at American. I think his maturity was a big issue for him back in his head coaching days at UVA.

Maybe he's grown up some?

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college...story/4749251/

Golly, those Hoos must have deep pockets.
    One falls from the Calhoun tree.

I knew everything was not sweetness and light in Charlottesville, but those stories that Leitao virtually stopped talking to Mamadou Diane, a senior on the team, were surprising and disturbing.

No reason why UVa can not have a successful program. They've got facilities, tradition, recruiting area, money, etc.

go to hell, 'hoos

I'm for Okla [and then Clemson, then Butler, then Az St, then Gonzaga, then...] going to Final 4 from South. So are all of you, unless you got rocks for brains.

I trust Capel will say, soon enough - for this story won't go away - "I don't give a s*** about Virginia." Then more t-shirts.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brianl View Post
    Anthony Grant would be an interesting choice.
    That's the first one that came to my mind. I think they should look hard at him.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dave Leitao resigns as UVa's Head Coach

It is not a great surprise that Dave Leitao, Virginia's head Basketball Coach, resigned today. In my opinion, he is a fine man and a good coach, who simply could not recruit a sufficient number of ACC-quality players at UVa. I hope he does well in his next coaching position.

U Va Coach resigns

If this needs to be on Off Topic, would someone please move it.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=177&sid=1625718

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Dave Leitao has resigned as Virginia's men's basketball coach after the team's worst season in decades, according to an athletic department official familiar with the decision.

The person requested anonymity because the official announcement was to be made later Monday.

Virginia finished 10-18 this season, 11th in the Atlantic Coast Conference. It was the Cavaliers' worst record since they went 9-17 in 1967-68.

Leitao won the ACC coach of the year award in 2007, when Virginia shared first place in the conference with North Carolina, but compiled a 63-60 record in his four years.

I tended to discount some the anti-Leitao stuff; for every negative rumor I heard a specific good report about Leitao. In the end, I think he was an Ed Davis away from saving his job. Unless Grant has an "out" clause in his contract (I would guess there is one for Florida), recruiting him will have some legal problems, especially given it would be from one state school to another. If Jeff Capel took UVA, it seems to me he would be ruling himself out of the Duke sweepstakes.

The AZ alumni were agitating for Grant but that was a low rumble.
    Capel @ UVA? Would he want to go head-to-head with K 2-3 times/year just yet?
    Is the thought of Jay Wright stepping up to the ACC plate too preposterous?

Quote Originally Posted by brianl View Post
    Anthony Grant would be an interesting choice. I also wonder if UVA would be willing to take a second look at Jeff Jones, he's done some pretty good things at American. I think his maturity was a big issue for him back in his head coaching days at UVA.

Maybe he's grown up some?
    Maybe, but old memories die hard among boosters. Jones had a divorce when he was a coach there, as reported by John Feinstein in March, 2008 in an article about AU's regaining the tournament last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...404207_pf.html

On the surface, Jones was the consistent guard who made big shots and good decisions and helped make U-Va. a perennial top 10 team. Jones wasn't quite the rock Holland thought, however. His parents were going through a divorce that deeply affected him. He would go through the same feelings again during his own divorce while coaching at U-Va. But he rebuilt his life in Northwest Washington, only two hours from his three children still living in Charlottesville, and happily remarried.

And this from Feinstein's book A March to Madness excerpted here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/f...n-madness.html

But things were hardly sanguine in Jones's life. He spent the first half of the championship game on the phone to a recruit, in part because that's what coaches do but also because he knew his team needed reinforcements. The Cavaliers had pieced together a difficult, though solid, season, winning eighteen games and making it into the NCAA tournament. That was a far cry from the 12-15 of the previous year. What's more, there hadn't been any arrests--as opposed to four in 1996, including one for aggravated assault in which a UVA recruit had slashed someone with a knife after an argument during a pickup basketball game. The other good news was that Jones's personal life, which had been the subject of constant gossip in Charlottesville after he had split from his wife, Lisa, had also become little more than a back-burner item.

Still, Jones couldn't get the memory of the season finale, an embarrassing one-sided loss to Iowa in the first round of the NCAAs, out of his mind. He had yet to figure out why his team had failed to show up for that game after working so hard to get there. Five days earlier, he had made the most difficult decision of his coaching career, firing his top assistant, Tom Perrin.

The coaching change was symbolic of the uncertain waters Virginia basketball was in. Jones had only one year left on his contract, and UVA's athletic director, Terry Holland, who had coached him at UVA and then hired him as an assistant coach, had been hemming and hawing about an extension. Jones knew that going into the final year of a contract without an extension was a recruiting nightmare. Holland knew that too. And yet, Jones was still waiting for a definitive talk about his future.

His divorce would be final in a matter of weeks. He still saw his three children often because he had moved into a townhouse that was only ten minutes from where they lived. As long as he coached at Virginia, it was likely he would get to see his children frequently. He and Lisa were having an amicable divorce. But he didn't know if he would be the coach at Virginia for one more year or thirty more years.

There may be some lingering bad feelings among enough people in Charlottesville that the university would not likely drink from that well again, however nicely everyone healed from the old wounds.

I have also heard Tubby Smith's name mentioned. He is from Virginia (I think), but he was an asistant coach at VCU.

That one doesn't make sense to me, and I'm not just speaking defensively as someone who's enjoying watching Tubby turn around my secondary team and wants to see him stay. He's two years into a rebuilding process, in a conference in which it's a whole lot easier to make strides, he's shored up a decent recruiting base that has really only one major competitor in Wisconsin (not counting occasional poaching from top 10 type programs). He could have Minnesota as a consistent NCAA entrant in the second tier of the Big Ten in a few years given the current trend, and finish out his career (he's no spring chicken anymore) on a pretty high note. Compared to the prospect of taking a bottom feeder in the ACC, where the highest you can dream of rising is No. 3 but to get there you've got to somehow claw past Purnell and Wake and FSU and BC. It's a lot harder to get up off the floor in the ACC than the Big 10, and UVa's got barbarians at the border on all sides when it comes to its natural recruiting base. I don't know why Tubby would be interested in that at this stage in his career. He'd probably be able to get Ralph Sampson III to go with him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    The AZ alumni were agitating for Grant but that was a low rumble.
    Capel @ UVA? Would he want to go head-to-head with K 2-3 times/year just yet?
    Is the thought of Jay Wright stepping up to the ACC plate too preposterous?
    Jay has a great recruiting class coming in and I can't see him walking away from what is a program that is on the rise.

UVA should try to get Capel in there Sooner than Leitao.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    UVA should try to get Capel in there Sooner than Leitao.
    Oh man, that's painful.

Well done!

If Capel went to UVa, I suspect that he could not come to Duke after that.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tendev View Post
    If Capel went to UVa, I suspect that he could not come to Duke after that.
    I think it will be telling of Capel's thought on his own future options at Duke depending on what he does with UVA. If he turns them down, he of course won't say it's because he has sights on Duke one day, but it would be hard to dismiss that as a weighing factor from an outsider's standpoint.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."