Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post

But today, after the ACC final, I crossed a bridge, took the fork in the road, drank the kool-aid - I bought an ACC Champions Duke shirt. And I'm going to wear it, in public, in Louisville, KY.

Congrats on seeing the light.

Now, as a slight threadjack, where did you get the ACC Champions t-shirt?

As a lifelong Kentucky fan, this whole Duke thing has been pretty amazing - I fell in love with a Duke girl and fulfilled her dream of seeing a game at Cameron which softened my hating heart to all things Duke - well, all things except that which shall not be named but is a funny commercial this year and Subway's best play ever. But with the decline of Kentucky, watching Duke (without cussing) has actually brought joy back to my March.

But today, after the ACC final, I crossed a bridge, took the fork in the road, drank the kool-aid - I bought an ACC Champions Duke shirt. And I'm going to wear it, in public, in Louisville, KY.

Rupp have mercy...
    And a hearty and warm welcome to our family.

Welcome, Ken! I have several very good friends who are KY diehards. One is very well known on the CatChat boards. We share a mutual hatred of carolina!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Congrats on seeing the light.

Now, as a slight threadjack, where did you get the ACC Champions t-shirt?
    Championship Shirts

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    And I received a shipping confirmation today, should arrive Thursday.

Thanks, Duke girl.

Ain't love grand????

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

Welcome Ken!

My brother-in-law graduated from Kentucky. We've had a long and good-natured rivalry that pre-dates the Laettner shot. (In fact, I married his sister on the Saturday of the '78 Final Four, which resulted in both Duke and Kentucky advancing to the Finals...and which made for an interesting wedding, but that's a whole 'nother story.) However, the Laettner shot really devastated him for a number of years.

It wasn't until the '98 season when they beat us in the Elite Eight game to get to the Final Four that I finally saw the twinkle return to his eyes. I don't get to visit him very much since he lives in Illinois and I live in California, but a few years ago I did make it to his house. Over his fireplace is a huge picture (probably 36" wide) of "The Shot Heard Round the World" (I think that was the title on the frame). When I first glanced at it I knew instantly it was a Duke-Kentucky game, but didn't know what game it was. Then upon looking more closely I realized what it was...Wayne Turner (I think) hitting the winning shot over Duke in that '98 Elite Eight game! He was quite proud of the picture and wanted to make sure I saw it. In fact, each of his three daughters later individually took me by the hand to walk over to it so I could admire it with them.

It was then that I truly realized how much the Laettner shot hurt Kentucky fans everywhere. The "Turner Shot" seemed relatively insignificant to me (although I was devastated at the time), but to them it was redemption.

Grey "and that shot wasn't even at the buzzer, if I remember correctly" Devil

In my mind, the 17 point less than ten minutes to go comeback victory in 98 exorcised The Shot. So really we should be one up at this point. But mind isn't heart and fandom is ALL about heart.

Come on Dukies, are you ever going to forgive Hansbrough for sweeping you at Cameron?

So why should we Kentucky fans let go of Laettner?

In my mind, the 17 point less than ten minutes to go comeback victory in 98 exorcised The Shot. So really we should be one up at this point. But mind isn't heart and fandom is ALL about heart.

Come on Dukies, are you ever going to forgive Hansbrough for sweeping you at Cameron?

Glad you're enjoying following the Blue Devils, Ken.

Honestly, I don't think the Kentucky reaction to Laettner is comparable to the back and forth between Duke and Carolina fans.

There is sometimes a fine line between fan enthusiasm and obsession. Just my opinion, but I look at the Kentucky fanbase as being over the top, just too involved. There really is more to life.

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

In my mind, Hansbrough is no Laettner and doesn't even belong in this conversation.

forgive ...yes
    forget ...no
    Don't take all the fun out of it.
    Glad to see you hop on this train.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Glad you're enjoying following the Blue Devils, Ken.

Honestly, I don't think the Kentucky reaction to Laettner is comparable to the back and forth between Duke and Carolina fans.

There is sometimes a fine line between fan enthusiasm and obsession. Just my opinion, but I look at the Kentucky fanbase as being over the top, just too involved. There really is more to life.
    This could be said about holes...almost.
    Many I encounter, are this way but only if they have won. When they lose, they pull a disappearing act. One, a relative, walked through my home during the game Saturday. He asked what was going on. I told him "Basketball, of course". He then asked me how did carolina do. If unc had won, I know he would have been all on top of it. He knew their outcome. He's a little thick, but not unaware.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    As a lifelong Kentucky fan, this whole Duke thing has been pretty amazing - I fell in love with a Duke girl and fulfilled her dream of seeing a game at Cameron which softened my hating heart to all things Duke - well, all things except that which shall not be named but is a funny commercial this year and Subway's best play ever. But with the decline of Kentucky, watching Duke (without cussing) has actually brought joy back to my March.

Rupp have mercy...
    You made my day, Ken.

I just moved to Louisville bringing along my old Volvo wagon with 100,000+ miles and a Duke bumper sticker. After the ice storm this year the old wagon had to go in for service where I was told I'd have to give them a really good reason to work on a car with a Duke bumper sticker. The whole garage came in to give me a talking to about 'the shot'. After some serious groveling they fixed the car and did a fine job of it too. As I was leaving the man called out,"We were just kidding, you should be proud your kids can get into Duke." Guess I'll go back. So far we love the city!

You are very smart Ken

Switching over to Duke will hopefully make your life long and happy.

WELCOME